Hypothesis: Revival should be extremely easy in lengthy rounds

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Hypothesis: Revival should be extremely easy in lengthy rounds

Post by Shadowflame909 » #624385

Theory: Revival should be extremely easy in lengthy rounds.

Current Design Doc has revival being difficult to make death have weight.

Death needs to have weight so our antags have an impact for all their wonton destruction.

If a round is extremely lengthy, either the antags failed, aren't doing their jobs, or the crew is defending from them successfully.

Thus Antags are not in need of death being maintained for very long, because they are not killing anyone/anyone else

Therefore we should be able to revive people easier, due to time-gated BS like a cloner. Or a organ rejuvenator machine.
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Re: Hypothesis: Revival should be extremely easy in lengthy rounds

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #624390

What?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #624404

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:18 amWhat?
When you die in maint and they find you an hour later but all your organs are rotten :evil:

Dead bodies deserve a 2 hour mark cryo machine because rounds aren't intended to go on for that long
► Show Spoiler
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #624405

Shadowflame909 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:57 am Theory: Revival should be extremely easy in lengthy rounds.

Current Design Doc has revival being difficult to make death have weight.

Death needs to have weight so our antags have an impact for all their wonton destruction.

If a round is extremely lengthy, either the antags failed, aren't doing their jobs, or the crew is defending from them successfully.

Thus Antags are not in need of death being maintained for very long, because they are not killing anyone/anyone else

Therefore we should be able to revive people easier, due to time-gated BS like a cloner. Or a organ rejuvenator machine.
If the round's gone on that long then medbay will be more than capable of healing anybody who rocks up. cybernetic heart, lung, stomach, liver, brain surgery revive. EZ
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #624406

Death is so easy to fix it's absurd. Even mass organ death can be fixed. It just takes a bit of time.

There is a difference between difficulty and time, and you are saying is that you want it to take less time to rejuvenate a body. That is also true of current medbay, since organ replacements become more abundant.

There isn't anything to fix.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #624413

Counter hypothesis: Revival should be rarer, and more focused on how quickly a body is recovered, revival after total organ death should be impossible.

Death can come from sources other than antagonist action

Death should be important and weighed regardless of antag presence.

Death will be more impactful and suspenseful with the object of permadeath via time.

People may be annoyed that their body was not found in time, but people will also no longer have to stay connected in case someone bothers to find and fix up their 30-minute rotten corpse, and can have closer in their own death knowing they can't be revived.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #624414

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm Counter hypothesis: Revival should be rarer, and more focused on how quickly a body is recovered, revival after total organ death should be impossible.
I like this idea a lot.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #624423

It becomes quicker to revive later in the round as better surgeries and tools are unlocked so it seems to me the reverse should be true, or at least scale with the amount of medbay staff available.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #625743

NecromancerAnne wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 pm Death is so easy to fix it's absurd. Even mass organ death can be fixed. It just takes a bit of time.

There is a difference between difficulty and time, and you are saying is that you want it to take less time to rejuvenate a body. That is also true of current medbay, since organ replacements become more abundant.

There isn't anything to fix.
It's incredibly easy for YOU to fix.
And yet if you talk about it from the other end, people have plenty of experiences of being dead in medbay hallways for 10, 20, 30 minutes, with doctors being unable to revive or "fix" them.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #625745

most doctors imo give up on me if my organs are all fugged.

It's either get them fast enough before their organs are ruined, or don't even try.

Wish we had some sort of middle-ground. Like maybe some sort of stasis machine that kept people alive without organs, but immobile.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #625746

What's weird is you can put their head on a different body but you almost never see this and I wonder why that is. Do people not think to do it? Or is it a pain in the ass trying to find a fresh body for them?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #625747

cacogen wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:23 am What's weird is you can put their head on a different body but you almost never see this and I wonder why that is. Do people not think to do it? Or is it a pain in the ass trying to find a fresh body for them?
If we had a middle-ground "I can chat" (but i can't do anything else) incentive right in the middle of medbay. You'd see solutions like these being shouted over comms. Because people don't want to be immobile.

If your in deadchat, you cant tell the overworked doctor this.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #625920

cacogen wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:23 am What's weird is you can put their head on a different body but you almost never see this and I wonder why that is. Do people not think to do it? Or is it a pain in the ass trying to find a fresh body for them?
You have to get that human body from converting a monkey and then once you do it's ugly as fuck (and you might have to do brain surgery to unfuck the brain if the organs are all fucked, too, anyway)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #625924

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:15 am
You have to get that human body from converting a monkey and then once you do it's ugly as fuck (and you might have to do brain surgery to unfuck the brain if the organs are all fucked, too, anyway)
do a genetics identity transfer
► Show Spoiler