Station trait - possible infected

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Station trait - possible infected

Post by Fatal » #637022

Basically, once the round starts (so this only applies to latejoin crew), there's a small chance, lets say 1/10, of new crew having a minor random virus infection

Would give medbay something to keep an eye out for, but making it a station trait means it doesn't happen too often

Could possibly be something that works better on MRP only but I think this could be a good addition
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Station trait - possible infected

Post by Farquaar » #637047

I like it. It's a fun way to introduce viruses into the round without them spawning out of the ether. Also can give antag virologists some plausible deniability if they play their cards right.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637050

Knock-on suggestions:

Take up flexible threat in accordance with how strong an Advanced Virus is
Take up fixed threat if it's one of the preexisting viruses
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #637056

A lot of viruses you can order in the crate show up in game very rarely.

It would be cool to have a chance to spawn in with Pierrot's Throat or Brain Rot or something
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #637069

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:54 pm It would be cool to have a chance to spawn in with Pierrot's Throat or Brain Rot or something
I really disagree, from the standpoint of someone who hates having to stand around in medbay until chemistry finally makes whatever chemical they need to make in order for you to stop your brain from leaking out your ears.
Virology is not a fun system to interact with from the victim's perspective, and having a chance to randomly be a virology victim with nobody to blame but the numbers is horrible.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #637077

datorangebottle wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:23 pm
RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:54 pm It would be cool to have a chance to spawn in with Pierrot's Throat or Brain Rot or something
I really disagree, from the standpoint of someone who hates having to stand around in medbay until chemistry finally makes whatever chemical they need to make in order for you to stop your brain from leaking out your ears.
Virology is not a fun system to interact with from the victim's perspective, and having a chance to randomly be a virology victim with nobody to blame but the numbers is horrible.
We already have random virus as an event but it's always randomly cobbled together by the viro system, idk I just think it sucks that we have some unique viruses with unique symptoms and the only way for them to show up is via admin intervention or an antag ordering the viro crate and releasing them.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637078

datorangebottle wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:23 pm
Admin Diseases will never be on the random table, nor will certain antag ones (Fungal Tuberculosis, for instance)

Anxiety is funny and easily cured (ethanol)
Brain Rot is cured by Mannitol, which Medical starts with a ton of
Magnitis is funny and easily cured (iron, meaning it's so easy to cure you don't even need the chemistry lab)
Pierrot's Throat is funny and relatively easily cured (bananas)
Wizarditis is funny and if it shows up, your biggest challenge is going to be hunting down willing carriers with the Manly Dorf drink to stop them from spreading it intentionally

Most or all of the rest are cured with Spaceacillin.

It's only the randomly-generated advanced diseases that are a huge pain to cure when they roll high resistance.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #637079

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:11 pm We already have random virus as an event but it's always randomly cobbled together by the viro system, idk I just think it sucks that we have some unique viruses with unique symptoms and the only way for them to show up is via admin intervention or an antag ordering the viro crate and releasing them.
I hate those random viruses so so much. :(
Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:17 pm Admin Diseases will never be on the random table, nor will certain antag ones (Fungal Tuberculosis, for instance)

Anxiety is funny and easily cured (ethanol)
Brain Rot is cured by Mannitol, which Medical starts with a ton of
Magnitis is funny and easily cured (iron, meaning it's so easy to cure you don't even need the chemistry lab)
Pierrot's Throat is funny and relatively easily cured (bananas)
Wizarditis is funny and if it shows up, your biggest challenge is going to be hunting down willing carriers with the Manly Dorf drink to stop them from spreading it intentionally

Most or all of the rest are cured with Spaceacillin.

It's only the randomly-generated advanced diseases that are a huge pain to cure when they roll high resistance.
The first time you encounter them, most of those diseases are pretty funny. By the fifth time they're eye-rolling. Doesn't Magnitis slowly kill you by bashing you upside the head with random objects, too? I don't remember exactly. Been a minute since I've seen it.
That said, if those are the only diseases that could be spawned by this trait I probably wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. My only complaint at that point would be that it makes those diseases less rare/special. I think that was the point of the suggestion, though.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #637081

Yeah the idea behind this is not to make the virus the keypoint of the round by being a turbo evil virus which kills people or makes them completely unable to do anything

Although we could have those added if they take up significant threat from the dynamic roll though, but not too often, this is meant to be a rarity in itself, not an every round thing
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637082

We have three sources of viruses that fuck the round:

1. Antag virologists
2. Sentient Virus spawns
3. REALLY bad rolls of the random virus event

This, as I imagine it, maaaybe takes up just a little threat; Magnitis, for instance, can do a fair bit of Brute damage if you leave it unattended for a long time, but it's still less dangerous than a rack of Thief spawns because it's so easy to cure (or just stand away from loose metal).

These viruses are fun little nuisances that you just never see because Virus Crates have no benefits other than "lol lmao virus released" right now.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #637122

Is Wizarditis still in the game? That was a fun one.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #637192

I'd be down
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?