[Mapping] CentCom Ghost Experimentation Roles

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Best idea?

Poll ended at Wed May 04, 2022 12:36 am

Best Idea
14%
Good Idea
29%
TERRIBLE IDEA YOU FUKKEN DONKEY
57%

Total votes: 7

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

[Mapping] CentCom Ghost Experimentation Roles

Post by Pandarsenic » #637452

Add to CentCom a new Z-Level:
  • A Chemistry Lab
  • A Toxins Lab
  • Bonus Round: An Atmospherics lab and/or Botany
Give them each:
  • A ghost spawner
  • A single scrying orb so they can ghost to talk to dead chat then come back to the lab without giving up their spawn
  • A setup that imitates the department's roundstart state on MetaStation, complete with stuff like toxins compressors
  • An arbitrary supply of their necessary Stuff (Atmos gasses, infinite power cells, tools, bluespace RPED and a full set of parts of every tier, a lathe NOT LINKED TO THE STATION with a fat stack of all the materials, plumbing equipment and space for construction, etc.)
  • Unusual stuff that's hard or impossible to get to, like a premade tritium supply, geysers of Lavaland-only chemicals, corn oil, strange seeds, etc.)
In short, let people who die (or observe) fuck around with systems that are normally opaque and punishing to fail at so that people can figure out how they work in spare time on the server, without requiring them to commit to a full round as those roles or setting up a private server.
Last edited by Pandarsenic on Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Re: [Mapping] CentCom Ghost Experimentation Roles

Post by iain0 » #637461

Any spawn on the centcom z-level feels like a bad idea, too many sensitive areas and items around that map.

If you could safely isolate it on an unreachable/inescapable level then I guess that would quell those concerns ; isolating may be difficult however (e.g. must either cut off specific escapes like teleporter, or generally taint that z-level so anything leaving it via any means gets purged)

Even then it may just detract from the game if you're just testing ideas ; as disruptive as that often can be on a station it contributes to part of the life and opportunity of the station. Pretty hard to predict if it will make any difference overall though and I'm not terribly against the idea (having set up a private server for exploring before I used it for a minor bugfix or two).
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #637469

Yeah, I have to agree, guaranteed spawns on CentCom aren't something I think would be wise- we already don't want people there without supervision, hence the fairly strong separation between it and the station. An isolated level as iprice suggests would be more palatable to my mind, but that separation needs to be bulletproof if you're intending to give people the powerful toys, especially a direct link to deadchat- we don't want a repeat of VR where there were a lot of exploits for bridging the gap.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637473

Fair, one Z-level is as good as another in most regards. I was just thinking of the level with the operative base, wizard spawn, all that, but the important part is absolute, 100% inability for this level and the station (or any station-connected level) to reach one another without deliberate, unmistakably intentional admin interaction. And the last thing it needs is someone figuring out how to cross those walls...
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #637477

I think allowing ghosts to experiment with rare roles is a good thing.
My first suggestion would be bring back gateway missions, have a Blob mission, and that old Wizard mission where the Wizard Servants couldn't go back to the station through the Gateway.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #637617

I would 100% be up to fucking with people on the Centcom level if Centcom looked a little better, but having spawners for the above reason is a no from me as well