Concept for making grabbing more interesting.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Concept for making grabbing more interesting.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #638015

Grabbing isn't very useful in combat , and has little applications in scenarios where it would make sense to grapple people (See: restraining someone so you can stick a syringe in them before they break free)

An interesting idea I had was to make it impossible to try to escape a grab by moving away to a tile you would normally not be able to move to (such as because its a wall)
This would allow groups of people to restrain somebody by maneuvering so they have no where to run. This would require four people out in the open, three up against the wall, two in a corner, or one person if you trap them in a cubby.

This would also mean it requires a little more conscious though to break free of a grab, rather than just mashing your keyboard just the same as if you weren't and breaking free anyways.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Concept for making grabbing more interesting.

Post by Pandarsenic » #638029

That... could actually be cool.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #638102

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:41 pm Grabbing isn't very useful in combat
Grabbing is one of the most useful things in combat aside from shoving. Chainshoving someone while you upgrade your grabs on them is pretty hard to escape. You can also cuff someone around 60-70% of the time with shove-shove-cuff-grab-grab. Two clicks of a grab will also instantly disarm someone and restrain them forcing them to resist out, giving you ample time to pick up their weapon. It's very versatile.

It's also important for combos in all the martial arts like CQC and carp. Makes sense because in actual (IRL) combat, grabbing changes the dynamic from striking to wrestling or judo-type throws and trips.
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #638114

People are always using grab as an insta-win button. Having to spam-click resist to break free is cancerous, and I'm not binding it to spacebar like one Manuelite suggested.

It did used to be worse. You could click someone once or twice with grab intent and then spam Page Down (which was use in-hand before hotkeys mode) to tighten your grip into a choke very quickly and the other person had almost no time to resist and couldn't escape after that. But there still should be a better way to get out of grabs than having to spam-click resist as fast as you possibly can before it's too late.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #638140

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:45 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:41 pm Grabbing isn't very useful in combat
Grabbing is one of the most useful things in combat aside from shoving. Chainshoving someone while you upgrade your grabs on them is pretty hard to escape. You can also cuff someone around 60-70% of the time with shove-shove-cuff-grab-grab. Two clicks of a grab will also instantly disarm someone and restrain them forcing them to resist out, giving you ample time to pick up their weapon. It's very versatile.

It's also important for combos in all the martial arts like CQC and carp. Makes sense because in actual (IRL) combat, grabbing changes the dynamic from striking to wrestling or judo-type throws and trips.
You can shove someone into a wall without breaking your grab? This was the secret I was missing.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #638170

This thread has given me an idea for some sort of steroid chemical you can use to become a massive spaceman if fat, then the best way to fight is to grab and throw smaller spacemen at eachother.
Im going to write all of my ideas down and make a new thread because this idea rules.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #638660

Grabbing used to be very useful in combat through Tabling.
That was nerfed for a reason I presume.
Also, you can hold someone hostage I think, press a gun to their head while they're grabbed with the other hand. That's marginally useful