Increase the lethality of weapons

A place to record your ideas for the game.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Increase the lethality of weapons

Post by wesoda25 » #642128

I think it makes the game feel more dangerous and fun.

Right now if you’re somewhat robust you can walk around anywhere feeling relatively safe thanks to shoves alone. Seeing as a lot of folks also go through the minimal effort of getting some form of slip/bola, there’s usually a decent chance they can make it out of fights at least alive (if not victorious). I’m not even that robust, but I think I stand a decent chance against most with these things, regardless of what weapons they might have.

The best thing about this is that it introduces a new meta thats not baton-centric. I think this was the reason I loved hitscans: they were a terror to fight against and you had to entirely change your approach when facing someone with one (and also felt great to use). If a lot of weapons had this type of power, I think combat could be a much more dangerous and thrilling aspect of the game. Fights would be shorter and have less margin of error. It’d be reminiscent of when we had stuns, but without stuns.
[this space reserved]
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Re: Increase the lethality of weapons

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #642130

Seems like a cool idea would be a pain to implement without a clear vision, make a hackmd
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642131

all we have to do is buff wounds and give more weapons the ability to wound and you'll see increased caution in getting into fights

Basically just go full baymed
► Show Spoiler
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #642132

Personally I think the best part about combat in this game is the fact that someone completely unarmed stands a chance against someone with a desword, deagle, and what have you. The person with the weapon still has a huge advantage, to be sure. It would just be less fun I think if you stood no chance against someone if they have a simple lasergun, despite skill differences between the two players.

Also, ranged weapons are already significantly stronger than they were several months ago because of the tactical rest removal. Not being able to dodge bullets and lasers by resting is a very strong buff to them.
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #642136

Totally fair to think that. Personally I find it makes things less interesting.

What I like about this is that the playing field would be more in favor of those with a good weapon than those who have invested an inordinate amount of time into getting good at this game. I think weapons having a massive edge in combat is interesting and forces people to get a bit more creative in dealing with such threats.
[this space reserved]
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #642170

It takes 10 hits for a heretic blade to put a security officer into crit, compared to the stun baton's two hits to crit. Heretics dont bother using it because having the valid stick on you at all times isnt worth it when medbay can print equivalent weapons.

Give this thing some damage or armor pen or both

Also wounds are great and all but most weapons wont wound armored targets.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #642175

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:16 pm Personally I think the best part about combat in this game is the fact that someone completely unarmed stands a chance against someone with a desword, deagle, and what have you. The person with the weapon still has a huge advantage, to be sure. It would just be less fun I think if you stood no chance against someone if they have a simple lasergun, despite skill differences between the two players.

Also, ranged weapons are already significantly stronger than they were several months ago because of the tactical rest removal. Not being able to dodge bullets and lasers by resting is a very strong buff to them.
Make shoving dangerous with RNG disarm again, ez clap
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo