How a removal could fix genetics

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

How a removal could fix genetics

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642140

Main complaints about genetics.

1. They can pass out super powers like candy very easily with the push of a button

2. Hulk annoys us grr you break walls and shout about it over comms and your also stun resistant and you also have strong fists!!

Combine the two and now Genetics has been locked out of getting anything cool and fun and is stale.

Here's how for the first time ever, a removal can create more content and more things for the geneticist to do while nerfing the amount of OP stuff people will get!

Remove the Mutator.

It's that simple. If you can only activate genes in people rather then mutate new ones, you will only be able to spread out whatever RNG genes people have had roundstart. Including those yourself.

>But shadow, I didn't get ___ that I wanted roundstart. Am I just permanently screwed?

Kind of but not really. You'd have to trust the geneticist and have them put you in there console, upon which they can blast you with rads and mutate your genes. Increasing your chance of getting better genes. Probably not the ones you wanted though. If they do it too much you will die from toxin damage.

Now when things hit the fan. The geneticist will have to manually activate genes that someone got from roundstart. Pretty signifcant nerf, but I think it can pathe the way for better mutations to get added so everyone doesn't just have useless genes. Since we only want hulk, telekinesis, insulated, and pressure adaptation.

Edit: Strength and Radioactive can get re-merged into hulk now too. Since it'd no longer be obtainable.
► Show Spoiler
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: How a removal could fix genetics

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #642146

Opposed. This will put it in the same boat as advanced surgeries like nerve grounding, which effectively never get used. The proposed change is the same as removing the department of genetics entirely.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #642287

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:19 pm Opposed. This will put it in the same boat as advanced surgeries like nerve grounding, which effectively never get used. The proposed change is the same as removing the department of genetics entirely.
better than whatever the fuck genetics is right now
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #642292

Kidnap members of the crew you've creepily combed their medical files for data to suppliment a eug(genetics) programme, and produce super-officer serums.

Dumpster the whole of genetics present and push Cyto-cloning and you might get somewhere with a bioscience-division.

Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642293

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:19 pm Opposed. This will put it in the same boat as advanced surgeries like nerve grounding, which effectively never get used. The proposed change is the same as removing the department of genetics entirely.
The main difference between genetics and advanced surgeries is that doctors have a lot of other stuff to do, + advanced surgeries are locked away until round-end which medical usually cannot reach.

While genetics has literally nothing else to do but the equivalent of advanced surgeries. If medical could no longer heal people, and roundstart had the nerve grounding surgeries and stuff. It'd be seen every round, 100%
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #642294

I didn't read your post Shadowflame, but I agree that genetics is in a bad place right now. Genetics used to be cool. You'd spend 30 - 40 minutes clicking a handful of buttons hoping for a power to finally activate so you could have hulk, TK, xray and space resistance.

Over the years, many new (mostly useless) powers have been added. But liberals have wittled existing powers down to a little nub, much like a wife with borderline personality disorder wears down her husband. Now, almost none of the powers are worth getting.

Despite this, people still grind out the powers almost every shift. So clearly there is still enough value left there for people to do it. Much like America's public sector, there is still more left for liberals to gut.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #642339

Would be cool if you could also rip specific genes out of people and put them on somebody else. Like straight up rip out of their DNA, leaving them with nothing - as an incentive for traitor geneticists to abduct people and steal their cool superpower genes for themselves. Monkeypeople should still have genes that you can check out for the sake of learning which gene does what, but should be inert when extracted to avoid gamer moments.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #642340

terranaut wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:00 pm Would be cool if you could also rip specific genes out of people and put them on somebody else. Like straight up rip out of their DNA, leaving them with nothing - as an incentive for traitor geneticists to abduct people and steal their cool superpower genes for themselves. Monkeypeople should still have genes that you can check out for the sake of learning which gene does what, but should be inert when extracted to avoid gamer moments.
Thankfully CRISPR still exists, and with departmental cooperation between virology and genetics... Something like that could occur.

Edit: Just another underused and unknown feature genetics has that would have reason to exist by this change :cry:
► Show Spoiler