Station goal Brainstorming thread.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Station goal Brainstorming thread.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #642147

We have only had 3 station objectives for forever, one of which is much more underwhelming than the others.

Generally, they have the theme of needing some kind of construction, as well as some sort of interdepartmental work. Any ideas?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

Re: Station goal Brainstorming thread.

Post by celularLAmp » #646748

Expand the station or build a new part.

I wish the station goals rewarded you (at least the dna vault the bsa is a reward in it self)
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #646763

Stations with the meteor shield goal should get increasingly vicious meteor waves unless they're built.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #646793

Idea: Hungry Space Anomaly
A harmonic, unstable, neutralizable gravitational anomaly (HUNGA) has materialized somewhere near the station. Science has to scan the HUNGA to determine what it wants to eat ("stabilizing items" that match its harmonic frequency). The list of objects it wants to eat is random, and can include foods/dishes/plants, liquids/chemicals, tech-gated objects, unique books (i.e. can't use the same book twice), large quantities of a particular mineral/alloy, rare organs or large numbers of common organs, animals (living or dead), etc.

The HUNGA grows over time. Feeding the black hole stabilizing items will shrink it, stop it from growing, and potentially even permanently neutralize it. Feeding the HUNGA non-stabilizing items or ignoring it for a long enough time will allow it to grow, potentially getting large enough to damage the station and eventually becoming a singulo that will ravage the station.

To fulfill the station objective, you must neutralize the HUNGA by dumping enough stabilizing items inside. To speed up delivery, crewmembers are encouraged to build a disposal or conveyor system to rapidly deliver stabilizing items to the HUNGA, though such a system would need to be guarded by security to prevent sabotage.

If the crew fails to stabilize the HUNGA, the station fails the objective. If the HUNGA grows into a singulo before the emergency shuttle leaves, the station critically fails the objective.

Regarding timescale, it is unlikely that the HUNGA will grow into a singulo over the course of a normal round without someone deliberately throwing mass into the it. However, on particularly long rounds it is possible that a singulo will form. To prevent situations where an empty station is held hostage by a runaway HUNGA singulo, Centcomm has set up an automatic signaller that automatically calls the shuttle when the singulo is formed- albeit a crappy one that only has room for the most expensive to replace crewmembers.

TL;DR - Command receives word of a black hole, crew finds the black hole and scans it, scavenger hunt for black hole food ensues
► Show Spoiler
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

Post by celularLAmp » #646875

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:29 am Stations with the meteor shield goal should get increasingly vicious meteor waves unless they're built.

I thought they do or it's more likely to get meteors?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #646885

celularLAmp wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:03 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:29 am Stations with the meteor shield goal should get increasingly vicious meteor waves unless they're built.

I have never known this to be the case without admin intervention, so even if it is the case, it's not intrusive enough to properly encourage people (or make it something for antags to sabotage as a means of causing chaos).
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #646902

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:56 pm
celularLAmp wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:03 pm

I have never known this to be the case without admin intervention, so even if it is the case, it's not intrusive enough to properly encourage people (or make it something for antags to sabotage as a means of causing chaos).
It's less that the meteors aren't bad enough to encourage people to use meteor shields and more that meteor shields are the most mind numbingly boring objective and no one wants to do it.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #646945

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29612
last thread about this
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Kitfox
Byond Username: Kitfox88

Post by Kitfox » #647805

Farquaar wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:11 am
Idea: Hungry Space Anomaly
I like it.
tabbot
Byond Username: Name20411

Post by tabbot » #652868

I was going to write a long bit about how station goals should probably replace/be integrated better with science but that's a discussion for another time.

IDEAS
  • Exotic Particle Collector
  • Superdeep Borehole/core sampler for a planetary station.
  • Very Complicated Portal; suitable for highpop only requires fully staffed engineering and science and command departments... Unlike a regular portal this one is like 10x10 has actual rotating bits and all sorts of weird fun potential... Requires certain materials, chemicals, etc. that must be gathered from the surface, or developed in toxicology...
  • Missile Defense System: NanonTransen has launched a missile, you have a in-game hour to build a suitable defense system (that will arrive on the first shuttle). The Missile is nuclear armed and will destroy the entire station, Nanotransen expects you to demonstrate competent leadership potential; -> this will depend on having a full crew that is actually capable of doing it's job and an admin or whatever that could assist whoever is captain or acting captain.
all of these are probably terrible.