Set Minimum Character Age to 18 (or higher)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Set Minimum Character Age to 18 (or higher)

Post by BONERMASTER » #648613

There is no gameplay purpose to being underage. But there is purpose for rat bastards to live out their fantasy and try to engage in as much borderline ERP as possible.
With all the weirdos and freaks that have been caught doing that lately, how about we just don't give them an angle for their shit and just cut it out of the game?
They can still get themselves banned as regular, adult humanoid beings, and it won't affect anyone else.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Re: Set Minimum Character Age to 18 (or higher)

Post by Helios » #648620

There's a few edgecases for being under 18. I think your character can't buy cigarettes or alcohol from vending machines, unless you hack them.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #648621

Helios wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:09 pm There's a few edgecases for being under 18. I think your character can't buy cigarettes or alcohol from vending machines, unless you hack them.
Minor age is actually defined as 20 by code. This only effects smoking and alcohol related things as far as I have read.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #648626

It’s true that allowing players to be underage serves almost no purpose, but it’s still a pretty good trap for catching degenerate sleazeballs
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #648629

I've wondered why this hasn't been done but never got around to doing the research to see if it had even been recommended in the past.

The oldest actual age in the world I can think of where someone is considered to be at the age of majority is in places like Puerto Rico, the state of Mississippi in the US, as well as some places in Africa and the Middle East. That age is 21.

Places like South Korea, Japan and Thailand set it to the age of 20.

Coincidentally 21 is also the oldest age of consent in the world (based on a technicality, otherwise its South Korea at the age of 20).

I'd rather not give anyone any wiggle room regardless of where they are from, to have even the slightest consideration about engaging in something that someone anywhere could consider creepy when age comes into play. Because people come here to play from all around the world.
Hugs
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #648634

We are not raising the minimum character age to 21 and losing some jokes just because people are extremely rarely morons and creeps. This is the textbook definition of an admin issue.
What the hell man do your job
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #648635

TheFinalPotato wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:52 am We are not raising the minimum character age to 21 and losing some jokes just because people are extremely rarely morons and creeps. This is the textbook definition of an admin issue.
What the hell man do your job
This is more common than you think it is. The tread also says 18 or higher.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #648636

i like my character being 19
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #648637

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:04 am This is more common than you think it is. The tread also says 18 or higher.
WELL FUCKING BAN THEM THEN
Creeps will be creeps if the age limit is 2 or 2000, I see no reason why we should accommodate their existence to the extent anyone here is suggesting

There will always be people who do weird sex shit, and there will always be people who do weird sex shit roleplaying as 14 year olds. It is absolutely god damn fucking deplorable but changing a number only visible in the records console will accomplish all of jack and shit.
All changing the funny number does in fact is make people who are concerned about this feel better temporarily. It's stupid. I understand the urge but it is so stupid dude.

I think 18 is also patently dumb, you upping the number to 21 does nothing to soften my opinion on the initial offering.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #648639

What's the point of letting 17-year-olds on if nobody makes child labor jokes about them when they notice they're 17
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #648642

TheFinalPotato wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:11 am
Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:04 am This is more common than you think it is. The tread also says 18 or higher.
WELL FUCKING BAN THEM THEN
Creeps will be creeps if the age limit is 2 or 2000, I see no reason why we should accommodate their existence to the extent anyone here is suggesting

There will always be people who do weird sex shit, and there will always be people who do weird sex shit roleplaying as 14 year olds. It is absolutely god damn fucking deplorable but changing a number only visible in the records console will accomplish all of jack and shit.
All changing the funny number does in fact is make people who are concerned about this feel better temporarily. It's stupid. I understand the urge but it is so stupid dude.

I think 18 is also patently dumb, you upping the number to 21 does nothing to soften my opinion on the initial offering.
I'm not sure where this is coming from, but it is completely unwarranted.

I did the following:

1). Questioned if someone had suggested this in the past and if someone had tried to do it, and what reason it would have been rejected for previously.
2). Noted examples of ages of majority and ages of consent around the world.
3). Stated my personal preference on numerical age not being an excuse for wiggle room regardless of where someone is from and what ages they mark things at if they are being creepy. Anyone with an inkling of those creepy considerations are better left postmarked for the landfill.
4). Stated that there are plenty of people creepy about age in this community, and reiterated that the thread was about raising the age to 18.

I at no point said I was for this change, just that I think about this THREAD globally, and noted that this change would be pointless if it didn't cover everything.

That everything is littered with technicalities from communities and cultures around the world, which means: that the age numbers and bumping them up to 18 will not stop people from being creeps, nor will bumping it up to 20, or 30, or 40.

Not sure why you made the conscious decision to act like this and decided the best decision was to be toxic towards me and tell me to 'do my job'?

I'll keep that in mind though, thanks.
Hugs
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #648646

Rich of you to yell your lungs out about "doing your job" when it's a single digit change that we are requesting, but OK, guess you just wanted to show who is wearing the codersocks here. We good now?

Anyway, yes it won't stop them from being creeps, but we're taking away a resource from our game that they are actively using. Our game displays the age 18 (or higher), whatever fucked up shit they want to come up with, they'll have to resort to make believe, we're not lending them a hand with it. If they argue being underage, it doesn't fucking exist, and is immediate grounds for a permanent ban. This, is what this thread is about.

OK?

With jobbing regards
-BONERMASTER

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #648647

I say put it to a vote. I personally don’t think the joke is worth the problems it can cause and I would be interested to see what the community thinks.

(this is also the only option available for those of us who want it upped lol)
[this space reserved]
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #648648

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:43 am

I did the following:

1). Questioned if someone had suggested this in the past and if someone had tried to do it, and what reason it would have been rejected for previously.
3). Stated my personal preference on numerical age not being an excuse for wiggle room regardless of where someone is from and what ages they mark things at if they are being creepy. Anyone with an inkling of those creepy considerations are better left postmarked for the landfill.
4). Stated that there are plenty of people creepy about age in this community, and reiterated that the thread was about raising the age to 18.

I at no point said I was for this change, just that I think about this THREAD globally, and noted that this change would be pointless if it didn't cover everything.

That everything is littered with technicalities from communities and cultures around the world, which means: that the age numbers and bumping them up to 18 will not stop people from being creeps, nor will bumping it up to 20, or 30, or 40.

Not sure why you made the conscious decision to act like this and decided the best decision was to be toxic towards me and tell me to 'do my job'?

It really bothers me when people take what amount to behavioral problems and extend them to "lets remove the ability to do this in the first place", in this case in a way that accomplishes little to nothing.
To be honest with you I thought you were advocating for raising to 21, since you mentioned that bit about wanting to avoid creepiness for anyone in the community. I thought that was really silly, and well, didn't pick up what you were putting down.

If it means anything I was yelling at a strawshaped janitor I keep constructed in the back of my mind, and less at you. I do feel strongly about this, but I'll try and reduce the vitreol in future, I didn't mean to upset you more then "oh he's annoyed"

----

Dear Bonermaster:
Given how out of the way age information is, I don't think that on its own would make people uncomfortable.
Similarly I don't think the rp fact of "they are really 17" should change anything about punting creeps. People who argue underage are already arguing in bad faith, and I don't think we should need to help with that.
I can think of 2 players who I've seen use this pattern, and both of them should/have been nuked.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #648649

TheFinalPotato wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 am
Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:43 am

I did the following:

It really bothers me when people take what amount to behavioral problems and extend them to "lets remove the ability to do this in the first place", in this case in a way that accomplishes little to nothing.
To be honest with you I thought you were advocating for raising to 21, since you mentioned that bit about wanting to avoid creepiness for anyone in the community. I thought that was really silly, and well, didn't pick up what you were putting down.

If it means anything I was yelling at a strawshaped janitor I keep constructed in the back of my mind, and less at you. I do feel strongly about this, but I'll try and reduce the vitreol in future, I didn't mean to upset you more then "oh he's annoyed"
No worries I appreciate you being upfront about it like that/this. It just left me dazed and confused rereading what I had posted.

I'm not sure what kind of impact a vote would have though, as its not really a config consideration.
Hugs
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #648660

TheFinalPotato wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 am Dear Bonermaster:
Given how out of the way age information is, I don't think that on its own would make people uncomfortable.
Similarly I don't think the rp fact of "they are really 17" should change anything about punting creeps. People who argue underage are already arguing in bad faith, and I don't think we should need to help with that.
I can think of 2 players who I've seen use this pattern, and both of them should/have been nuked.

You'd rather type a 3000 page novel full of drivel than pressing a single button once to be useful, gotcha.

We just go with the vote, sounds like the best option, I'll open it up in policy.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #649350

we're not going to change it unless there is proof of sustained continuous abuse the admin team is incapable of stopping, and given the recent ban appeals, I think they have the problem well in hand.