Some Feature/component requests

A place to record your ideas for the game.
ThisIsOurLifeNow
Byond Username: DownSyndronater

Some Feature/component requests

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #649042

The following components that are listed below can only be made using map maker or admin tools but i would like to see these features available in game for the following reasons i will list below

1)Gas sensor[Not to be confused with the hand held gas analyser]
Path : obj/machinery/air_sensor
Generic air sensor
Generic air sensor
Screenshot (7).png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Purpose : currently used inside tank chambers[02,n2 chambers] located in atmospherics for monitering gases inside them
Reason : Engineering protolathe after research can manufacture new HFR components to create more hypertorus reactors.
This reactor produces a lot of gases in different fusion levels. Storing these gases in canisters have the
following disadvantages
-> The cannisters have to moved around and wrenched/unwrenched repeatedly
-> They have an upper pressure limit after which they take damage from extremely hot gases

An better idea would be create entirely new chamber's dedicated to storing & segregating these gases. For these chambers to be monitored and work correctly we require these air sensors which could easily be made in the department protolathe and wrenched in the floor of any newly constructed chamber. After making this component a way must be provided to link this sensor to an atmospheric monitoring console and then link any newly created input/output valves to the moniter as well

While one might say then why not do it yourself using the map editor[which i can] there are a couple of advantages to do this in game rather than using these tools
-> Using map editor takes out the joy of constructing these chambers ourselves in game . It robs players the creativity of choosing their own layouts & configurations for these chambers
-> Players may later on decide to deconstruct these chambers to reuse the materials for other purposes or relocate these chambers entirely
-> As HFR Components can be created in engineering department circuit board printer after research players may decide to create new areas for these reactors which will require additional gas chambers & sensors

Hence it would be great if we could make these air sensors in game.

2)Igniter[Not to be confused with the igniter which we can make using the engineering protolathe]
Path : obj/machinery/ignitor
Igniter
Igniter
Screenshot (8).png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Purpose : used in incinerator chamber for plasma & o2 combustion to drive the turbine and other reactions
Reason : Similar reasons as above , players may want to create additional ignition chambers for additional gas reactions and purposes or maybe to just burn up a dead body either way its useful to have
Currently only an ignitor component can be made inside the engineering department autolathe which is used for heating beakers and making bombs but that cannot be used to manufacture this component

As of now these are the only components I'm interested in. Hope to see them implemented soon :)
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Re: Some Feature/component requests

Post by EmpressMaia » #649979

I too wish these were obtainable via RPD's or lathes
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #650054

You would need a way to link the sensor to a computer, and the ability to similarly link igniters to buttons.
I'm not against this inherently, see no reason to be. Someone would have to do it first though.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #650273

Would it be appropriate to use multitool to link them? I feel like I have seen something else that is linked that way.
ThisIsOurLifeNow

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #650282

For any code maintainers out there here are some design ideas on how to do implementation. Each idea is divided into 3 subsections Construction , Installation & Configuration.

Igniter

a) Construction: This could be easily implemented in the crafting menu as there is a component already present in the menu which uses all the logical components which could be reused to make the Igniter as well i.e the Pressure Plate
Pressure plate components which could be reused to make igniter as well
Pressure plate components which could be reused to make igniter as well
Ideally the code for this could be copied & pasted to then create an Igniter. The materials it requires to create this component logically makes sense as well

We would also need an special type of button just for igniter switch [maybe an igniter button frame] which could be made by holding an single sheet of metal in hand and clicking on it and selecting igniter button frame from the list of menu options presented

b) Installation: To install the igniter we could just simply drop it on a tile and then wrench/unwrench it and now that igniter becomes part of the room/area it is installed in

To install the igniter button we could
->mount it on the wall by clicking on a wall while it is in your hand
->add some wires
->close it with a screwdriver

c) Configuration: To allow the button to find the igniter[or multiple igniters in case player decides to make many of them for a large room] we can use the same logic an air alarm interface uses to find out all vents & scrubbers in the room i.e the once the button is installed the button finds all igniters installed in the current room only . So if you install an igniter in kitchen[for some reason] then the button installed in kitchen would turn on/off all igniters present in kitchen only.
This would be much easier than assigning an unique ID to each igniter and then associating each button with an igniter as this could allow for one switch to toggle multiple igniters

and that marks the end of igniter on to the next one

Air sensor : This gets a little trickier as we also need to discuss atmospheric monitor's in this

a) Construction: The first step would be to create an atmospheric monitor/computer for this we need
->Computer Design[Atmospheric monitor] circuit board which can be printed in circuit board printer
->5 metal sheets to create an computer frame
->wires
->glass
->screwdriver
luckily all these is already present in game so nothing needs to be added/changed .Just stated this for information

To create an air sensor we could either create an air sensor using a RPD[Rapid pipe dispenser] under the device section[the sensor does not have to be color or layer specific] or could be made in an department autolathe/protolathe

b) Installation: Atmospheric computers can be easily installed by reading the wiki page. To install an air sensor we simply click on a tile using the RPD or use an wrench to screw/unscrew the sensor on the floor

c) Configuration: This is divided into 2 sub sections one for the air sensor and one for the monitor
1.0 Configuring the air sensor :
-> Left Click: Upon left clicking an simple log report could be be generated which displays the total moles present on that tile along with their
relative percentages
-> Right Click: Upon right clicking on the sensor while its in hand an simple dialog box could appear which asks the user to enter an name/id for
this sensor. This ID should be compared with the ID of existing air sensors in the station to make sure there is no conflict

2.0 Configuring the atmospheric monotor : Initially when an new monitor is installed it shows up an screen like this
Newly installed atmospheric monitor
Newly installed atmospheric monitor

This is a 2 step configuration

-> Link monitor to sensor: the 1st step is to link the monitor to the sensor. This could be done by clicking on the Reconnect button which
would bring down a dialog and would locate all air sensors[by ID] which are present in the current area/room . So if you install an atmospheric monitor
in the kitchen[for some reason] then the reconnect button would find all air sensors installed in kitchen only.

-> Link monitor to output/input valves: In the picture given below i have linked the monitor to an BZ air sensor[which i spawned using admin tools]
the monitor has no input/output valves
Connected monitor with no I/O
Connected monitor with no I/O
-> Link Input to monitor: Rather than displaying the text No Input device detected we could instead display an button there saying "Find
Injectors" upon clicking this button we use the same search logic used by the air alarm interface to find all "Injectors"[By ID] installed in the
current area/room. So if you installed the monitor in kitchen this button would find all Injectors in kitchen.

To give an injector an ID we use the same idea as giving an unique ID to the air sensor by right clicking the injector[or some other key combo] or
assign an random 5 character alphanumeric ID to it which is assigned to vents and scrubbers

Upon selecting the injector it gets linked to the monitor

-> Link Output to monitor Rather than displaying the text No output device detected we could instead display an button saying " Find Vents"
upon clicking this button we use the same search logic used by the air alarm interface to find all "Unary Vents"[By ID] installed in the current
area/room. So if you installed the monitor in kitchen this button would find all Unary vents in kitchen.

Every Unary vent by default already has an 5 character alphanumeric code associated with it no problems there

Upon selecting the vent that vent gets linked with the monitor and also SHOULD be disconnected from all air alarm interfaces controlling the
vent so that it can be controlled by the monitor only.

To undo all the configuration we could simply use an multitool on the monitor to reset the monitor to its newly created state

Well these are just ideas i have on how to implement the 2 requested components . Hope this gave someone an technical insight on how this could be done. Really looking forward to seeing this get implemented :)
VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #650321

I just want to point out here that buttons are used for more than igniters and have to have a unique ID in the current code. I'd encourage you to dive into the code yourself if you haven't already, see if you can come up with a way to make it work. It sounds like you've already been digging into it a little bit. Look at how the door controller assembly works (/obj/item/assembly/control/multitool_act) and the ore silo/stacking machine combo (/obj/machinery/ore_silo/multitool_act, /obj/machinery/mineral/stacking_unit_console/multitool_act, /obj/machinery/mineral/stacking_machine/multitool_act) for inspiration. There's unfortunately no standard way this is done across all devices that support the multitool but most work similarly.
ThisIsOurLifeNow

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #651207

After more than a week of looking at the code and causing all kinds of mess by changing variables and adding procedures i give up. I clearly have no idea what i'm doing. Anyone made progress on this?
VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #651596

ThisIsOurLifeNow wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:32 am After more than a week of looking at the code and causing all kinds of mess by changing variables and adding procedures i give up. I clearly have no idea what i'm doing. Anyone made progress on this?
I have a few other things I want to look at first then I might poke around a bit at this. Don't let that stop anyone else who wants to do it though. Feel free to ping me in Coderbus or Codering or whatever it's called today if somebody else looks at it.
ThisIsOurLifeNow

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #653854

Just checking up. Has anyone made progress on this yet?
VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #655342

No, it's still on my fantasy "list of things I'd do if I had the time/motivation" but I haven't taken any action toward that end.