Wow drones are BAD

A place to record your ideas for the game.
NullioN
Byond Username: NullioN

Wow drones are BAD

Post by NullioN » #649391

I've read previous threads on this and understand how drones are hellish to balance.
viewtopic.php?p=634156#p634156

Also, as per previous posts, they're virtually unplayable - not the least of which is the fact that you have to have joined and loaded the dispenser because no one else does it and it starts unloaded.

Consider instead of*** having drone access by default (after x hours) and rescinded after shittery, have it be unavailable until explicitly granted, maybe associated with a discord account plus playtime or something. It would limit the number of lazy offenders, make ban avoidance more difficult, and ensure that drone players have gone through a filtering process so they know exactly what they can and can't do. Maybe enumerate a list for it or something, i dunno. Perhaps in that context some of the frankly excruciating limitations can be lifted.

At least note their terribly crippled state on the wiki.

Genuine apologies for nercro-ing this topic, but after playing them a bit i needed to vent. I don't really expect any changes; y'all have plenty on your plate as it is, but right now they're just.... bad.

edit: instead of**. They're already access by default, obviously...
EggDoctor63
Byond Username: EggDoctor63

Re: Wow drones are BAD

Post by EggDoctor63 » #653716

because they're drones.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #653719

yeah, they might as well have been removed honestly. a repair role that can't do any actual repairing is basically unplayable. when there's a hole in atmospherics, you can't repair it because the game doesn't let you build that close to critical equipment. if tcomms is gone, you can't try to fix it. if there's an erroneously bolted door in maint, you can't unbolt it.

can they even use air canisters? air alarms?

man i just want to chill out and build a funny maint base sometimes, and drone would be perfect for that if they could do literally anything.
at this point admins don't want them because they're hard to administrate, and players don't want them because they're crippled and suck, and it's better to wait for a positronic brain so you can play a role that doesn't have hands. why do the coders still want drones?
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #653742

Admin issue
"coders" don't particularly want or not want drones. Someone wanted to readd them, managed to convince a headmin to back them with policy, and we added them according to that, since there was no reason not to.
S how things go.

I'm a bit concerned about what they do to engi's repairing things, but eh.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #653757

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:59 am
Have we ever actually had an Engineer or AtmoTech complain about Drones stealing their work, cheapening their duties, etc.?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #653810

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:10 am
TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:59 am
Have we ever actually had an Engineer or AtmoTech complain about Drones stealing their work, cheapening their duties, etc.?
No, obviously. They're bad. I mean if they were ever good
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #653818

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:18 pm No, obviously. They're bad. I mean if they were ever good
I meant more in a "How often do you see the Engineering department actually repairing things at all instead of just leaving them broken unless it's their own department or they're threatened" sense
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #653823

See that's the problem, but I want them to, and I don't want my pie in the sky fantasy to be made even more impossible then it already is
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #653958

They should be removed, they are clearly a failed concept.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #653962

Human engineers are a failed concept

Replace them with a drone department
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #653965

I really wonder if they really were that big of an administrative issue that people had to add in that stupid "Doing X might violate your laws" bullshit. Just drone ban the shitters and leave it at that. Other servers have managed that much with way better drone design
Doctor Ape
Byond Username: Doctorape

Post by Doctor Ape » #654676

I assume this is the sentiment that still lingers after the Ssethtide came in. Ghost roles were used to grief A LOT. Nowadays it's a tad more quiet. I don't see a good argument why people abusing drone ghost roles to be shitters shouldn't be treated like any other ghost role abuser: by getting bwoinked. There's no good reason to hamstring the job, because if people want to grief hard, they can just play borgs if need be. Or Xenobio creatures.