An idea to potentially improve traitors and rounds they are in

A place to record your ideas for the game.
exymian
Byond Username: Exymian

An idea to potentially improve traitors and rounds they are in

Post by exymian » #650405

Hi, i suggested the soft rep lock removal, destroy lathe objectives, removing smuggle objective and i like working on improving traitors since they are the most common and generally liked antagonist. There was a major lack of round impact by traitors on my rounds, traitors not doing objectives or anything at all since greentext is already in the bag. Thats why i wanted to give them an incentive to do objectives and for them to impact the round so people would'nt bore call the shuttle.

THE IDEA: Now i suggest that we add an objective that adds a heavy antagonist(an antagonist that can heavily impact the round) for example a blob or weaker nuclear operatives, that kind.

Traitors love the communication console hack objective and it motivates people to work their way to it and these objectives hopefully motivates them to do objectives even more. We could further delay round end objectives and add these objectives in between console hack and round end ones. I believe it would be best to be able to call these antagonists 1 or 1.30 hour into the round. The called antagonists would be obvious to the crew that they are called (unlike a 5 minute timer for a blob to be alerted for example).

WHY I THINK ITS GOOD:
1) As i previously said, this gives traitors an incentive to do objectives.
2) Since these antagonists would be called late into the round, the crew would have tech, gear and setups to fight these threats, making them even more fun to fight.
3) This would lessen bore calls as they would expect a threat to happen and with that, making rounds longer.
4) By making the rounds longer we would reduce the routine that people have to do every round. Which means less burnouts and more motivation to do setups in each department and actually do a project because the rounds wouldnt end as fast and a higher chance for these setups to be used.
5) Give ghosts(deadchat lol) and observer mains(admins) more chances to join the round instead of hoping for a midround.

I wouldn't mind if these antagonists have a low win rate as the main idea is for them to impact the round and have some action, if the crew still lose to these antagonists with tech, gear etc. it would only mean that there is a skill issue :D .
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: An idea to potentially improve traitors and rounds they are in

Post by Mothblocks » #650406

this already exists, it's hacking the comms console
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #650407

It actually occurs to me, from what you mentioned...

What if progtot uplinks dangled the finale objective (or a choice of finale objectives) in front of each traitor at the start

Then it frames the other objectives as prep work for that finale (possibly weighing the objectives they're offered based on their chosen finale)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #650409

that's fine
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650410

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:20 pm It actually occurs to me, from what you mentioned...

What if progtot uplinks dangled the finale objective (or a choice of finale objectives) in front of each traitor at the start

Then it frames the other objectives as prep work for that finale (possibly weighing the objectives they're offered based on their chosen finale)
Would be better. Prog traitor would be better as a randomized flowchart with branching paths rather than an open market.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
exymian

Post by exymian » #650426

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:18 pm this already exists, it's hacking the comms console
The objective that will be added would be different from hacking a console. For example it could give you a corrupted mutation syringe and ask you to inject it into a silver slime/extract, something fun like that and have it announced; Maybe "A syndicate operative has created a level 5 biohazard through experimentation, all personell must contain the outbreak".

Its what cane to my mind first but the main point is spawning/calling/creating a high threat antag.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #650456

I don't know about other people, but when I'm a traitor I like to cause the chaos myself.

I don't want to call in 2 heavy midrounds to screw the station for me, I want to screw the station myself.

Like, all triggering a blob does is threaten to end the round. Why would I want that, if I wanted to get to my final objective?

I don't really want to add more "hack comms console" objectives. Otherwise now we have 6 traitors and each spawn 2 blobs/alien/pirates and now oh boy every round is 12 midrounds.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

exymian

Post by exymian » #650460

mrmelbert wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:06 am I don't know about other people, but when I'm a traitor I like to cause the chaos myself.

I don't want to call in 2 heavy midrounds to screw the station for me, I want to screw the station myself.

Like, all triggering a blob does is threaten to end the round. Why would I want that, if I wanted to get to my final objective?

I don't really want to add more "hack comms console" objectives. Otherwise now we have 6 traitors and each spawn 2 blobs/alien/pirates and now oh boy every round is 12 midrounds.
-Well see this would be optional, you can just gather the tc you need and cause chaos or if you dont know how to, you can just do the objectives.
-These objectives would be slightly easier to get than a round ending one and the round ending objective would be slighly delayed.
-They would be a major distraction at best and not that much of a threat since the crew would have techs and gear and an early announcement.
-You do not see 6 traitors hacking a console in a single round, only one or two achieve it at best.

I've heard that antags are having an easy time in Manuel, is that true ? Sec is dominating in LRP.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #650609

My man you play purely on terry, which is known for it's powergaming sec team.

We're not balancing the entire game around one server who's players could solve their own problems by not playing security like it's a solo console game.
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #650738

mrmelbert wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:06 am I don't know about other people, but when I'm a traitor I like to cause the chaos myself.

What if your final objective was summoning a blob, and other traitors had objectives to stop you?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #650740

that just sounds like part of the problem with internal affairs agents which is that theyre fucking with each other rather than the overall story of the round

VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #650741

Why is antags fucking with other antags not part of the overall story of the round, but when they fuck with individual non-antags it is?
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #650742

VexingRaven wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:44 am Why is antags fucking with other antags not part of the overall story of the round, but when they fuck with individual non-antags it is?
Because the point of antagonists is to drive the round forward for the nonantagonists- if they're just infighting, they're not accomplishing that.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
exymian

Post by exymian » #650850

oranges wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:37 pm My man you play purely on terry, which is known for it's powergaming sec team.

We're not balancing the entire game around one server who's players could solve their own problems by not playing security like it's a solo console game.
That is correct but i don't think this would negatively impact other servers, i wouldn't suggest it if i didn't think it would be an improvement for everyone.

This addition would further utilize the tech and the effort people put into the round and if it succeeds and lengthen the rounds, it would fix the burnouts from the routines that have to be made each round. Although this has to be asked now that i think about it,are you happy with the round lengths ?
tabbot
Byond Username: Name20411

Post by tabbot » #653221

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:42 am that just sounds like part of the problem with internal affairs agents which is that theyre fucking with each other rather than the overall story of the round
I honestly don't care much for internal affairs agents; they don't make much sense as "internal affairs agents"; their goals shouldn't be to kill anyone or sabotage anything; they should be to take pictures and document bad practices or lax management.