Tramstation 2

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Tramstation 2

Post by TheSmallBlue » #652840

I wouldn't be the first to admit that tramstation isn't prefect.

Anyways completely unrelated what if we made a second map with a tram? It's weird that we implemented an entire tram system only to be used in a single map, so here's my idea:

Two asteroids connected only and solely by two different trams that go through the open space in between the two asteroids.
Here's a crude drawing of what I mean:

I originally thought of this as a joke when in Manuel someone mentioned a Tram 2 but I actually really like the idea, it'd lead to some interesting possibilities.
Imagine a traitor somehow manages to deactivate both trams, practically slicing the station in half. Imagine cultures forming around which side of the station your department's from. Imagine a nukie ship parking in the middle of them, making them able to shoot into whichever side while also making the crew be able to easily surround their ship.

The main problem would be balancing. Since the station is so easily divisible, EVA suits should be plentyful and easily grabbable. Basically, in the "tram stations" there should be a room with at least half of EVA worth of space suits.
Also, how would the evac shuttle arrive? Would we have to code in two whole different shuttles? Should the shuttles just land in the middle and make it so that when the shuttles arrive, each tram transforms into a sort of bridge between one side of the station and the shuttle itself? (thats a sick idea actually).

There's also the issue of how the departments would be divided up. There are 5 departments in the game, an odd number, hard to divide by 2. We could have Science and Medical on one side, and Engineering and Cargo on the other, then have each half have their own security department, one having perma, the other having the lathe, both having holding cells.
Bridge could also be divided by two with the HoP line and conference room being on one side, and cap's quarters and the main room on the other. Iunno im talking out of my ass here.

Thoughts? Prayers?
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Tramstation 2

Post by san7890 » #652843

The problem with this is that Trams don't retain atmospherics. The initial idea was to have the Tram go outside into space, but the Tram item is unable to "hold air".
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #652845

Why not make it work like the shuttle? As far as I know the shuttle straight up disregards atmospherics until its in space, i've seen breached evacs while the shuttle was perfectly aired
Comm from
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #652850

Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #652852

If they just took current tram and stretched it out by 100 tiles (50 tiles for both tram sections) and filled the center with just more maints/underpass/antag hidey rooms, it would be perfect, in my opinion.

Literally, mappers, just copy the left, middle, and right section, and place them further apart, and fill in the gaps. That's all it takes to make Tram good. Please.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #652862

see this map
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/CereStation

literally hell
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #652873

cocothegogo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm see this map

literally hell
Damn I Wonder Who Made That Map
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #652874

death by disposals
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #652890

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:34 am If they just took current tram and stretched it out by 100 tiles (50 tiles for both tram sections) and filled the center with just more maints/underpass/antag hidey rooms, it would be perfect, in my opinion.

Literally, mappers, just copy the left, middle, and right section, and place them further apart, and fill in the gaps. That's all it takes to make Tram good. Please.
You seem mistaken, this thread isn't about tramstation, it's about a hypothetical Tramstation 2, The Squeakel.
cocothegogo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm see this map

literally hell
The sole problem with Cerestation was its lack of trams. Just add trams. Tramstation 2 does not have this problem.
Comm from
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #652898

TheSmallBlue wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 am Why not make it work like the shuttle? As far as I know the shuttle straight up disregards atmospherics until its in space, i've seen breached evacs while the shuttle was perfectly aired
Optimization issues
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #652913

TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:34 am Optimization issues
Could you go a bit more into depth? What does the shuttle do that wrecks optimization so badly?
Comm from
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #652924

TheSmallBlue wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:09 pm Could you go a bit more into depth? What does the shuttle do that wrecks optimization so badly?
Shuttle movements are blocking, they need to happen all at once.
In addition, they do a lot of additional work that the existing tram does not.

We actually tried shuttles for tram, it was too laggy. Generated too much td
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #653018

A bit of a tangent, but SS14 has perfect code for stuff like this while BYOND is once again showing its limitation. SS14 has independently moving shuttles/station parts. (Shown in this update report https://spacestation14.io/post/22-05-25 ... report-34/)
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.