Mining Laser

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Mining Laser

Post by Helios » #653213

Mining could use a new mining laser. These would be like emitters from engineering, they would be required to be wrenched in above a powered wire, but rather then shooting a stream of emitter shots, it would shoot a continual beam that would go 50 spaces at full length. This would slowly break through the dirt walls in the base version, or quickly with the 100 spaces upgraded mining laser. This would allow a clear cutting of mining blocks. Inside the station, it would burn through walls, doors, girders and windows. While the trouble emitters cause on the station is opening up crates for cargo, these would allow for wall and window breaking that would make any hulk blush. To make it less of a death trap, the spectrum of the light used by the mining laser shows up on optical mesons so engineers and miners can see the beams through walls, and if the player lays down, they can crawl under them without taking any damage.

Their legitimate use would be to be used against any blobs on the station, and that's why Cargo can order more.
Last edited by Helios on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tabbot
Byond Username: Name20411

Re: Mining Laser

Post by tabbot » #653220

I'm not sure; the use might be against blobs; but having it be called a "mining laser" would only create confusion and lead to it being attempted to be used to actually mine stuff.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #653242

You can use it to mine, you just need to extend wired tiles into lavaland. Basically turn the laser on, wait until it clears the 50 tiles to the north, move it 1 tile to the east, turn it on, have it clear out 50 tiles, rinse and repeat.
It can be brought onto the station to siege bridge or brig in revolution rounds, but stated use is for mining, or blob clearance
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #653247

Helios wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:45 am Mining could use a new mining laser. These would be like emitters from engineering, they would be required to be wrenched in above a powered wire, but rather then shooting a stream of emitter shots, it would shoot a continual beam that would go 50 spaces at full length. This would slowly break through the dirt walls in the base version, or quickly with the 100 spaces upgraded mining laser. This would allow a clear cutting of mining blocks. Inside the station, it would burn through walls, doors, girders and windows. While the trouble emitters cause on the station is opening up crates for cargo, these would allow for wall and window breaking that would make any hulk blush. To make it less of a death trap, the spectrum of the light used by the mining laser shows up on spectrums so they can see them through walls, and if the player lays down, they can crawl under them without taking any damage.

Their legitimate use would be to be used against any blobs on the station, and that's why Cargo can order more.
On spectrums?
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?