Need more ambience

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Need more ambience

Post by Lumbermancer » #78968

I rarely listen to music while playing, because hearing stuff is helpful as a sec. But lack of any background noise sucks. There's ambient music toggle, but I think it only plays the music in space.

I've been playing these in background, for fun, I like them humming noises.

Would you like it in game?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Need more ambience

Post by Scones » #78973

Put it as ambiance for Engineering
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #79043

Third track you listed sounds good for the comms room, with all the chatter in the middle.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #79055

Have to agree having more of these creepy ambience sounds would work wonders for the feeling of the game. Is it actually possible to have sounds based on your location?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #79057

It appears to be. Some sounds only play in Arrivals, others used to play in the AI upload or T-comms.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #79059

And morgue. Don't forget the morgue!
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #79066

I hate the buzzing ambiance tracks so much, had to turn the whole thing off because it legit made me ill for some reason.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #79075

I'm currently working on a PR that does two things.

1. Adds more specific ambience
2. Adds a separate toggle for general (headache-inducing) ship ambience

What would the policy or whatever be on using those ambience sounds you linked?
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #79090

Phalanx300 wrote:Have to agree having more of these creepy ambience sounds would work wonders for the feeling of the game. Is it actually possible to have sounds based on your location?
More machine noises in maintenance (this is just me but I'd think it'd be loud as fuck in the maintenance tunnels). Maybe make the PA make a steady humming noise that gets louder the higher it's turned up. Also perhaps have areas with cult tiles play the morgue's wailing noise to emphasis the sinister nature of the cult.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #79110

Xhuis wrote:I'm currently working on a PR that does two things.

1. Adds more specific ambience
2. Adds a separate toggle for general (headache-inducing) ship ambience

What would the policy or whatever be on using those ambience sounds you linked?
Don't toggle it, just remove it. Holy shit it's so fucking annoying.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #79123

MisterPerson wrote:Don't toggle it, just remove it. Holy shit it's so fucking annoying.
I'm fairly certain some people don't mind it or enjoy listening to it, so I'm keeping it in the PR I put up, at least for now.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #79129

Here's an ambience file for the server room.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/116 ... biserv.ogg
THIS WAS TAKEN FROM THE YOUTUBE VIDEO YOU LINKED. IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH THIS?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #79149

I loved it when we got new maintenance ambiance sounds, the far off PDA beep and occasional dripping sound really made maintenance seem more spoopy. More ambiance can only be a good thing
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #79255

Xhuis wrote:Here's an ambience file for the server room.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/116 ... biserv.ogg
THIS WAS TAKEN FROM THE YOUTUBE VIDEO YOU LINKED. IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH THIS?
I don't think there will be any problems.