Secborg Taser justification

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Secborg Taser justification

Post by Helios » #658673

With the newest release of C.I.V.I.L. RIGHTS software tasers have been reintroduced to Cyborgs. It has simply changed into a 5 step process to make sure every shot is justified.
1.First time after selecting a taser and click on a criminal, you get a text prompt (which is a C.L.E.R.Y. Act approved line) reporting over the main radio what crime you are attempting to pursue the person you are targeting over.
2. (optional) Second time the criminal is pressed on, it repeats over security the crime from the first text prompt, the name of the room the borg is standing on, and the name of the criminal again, be it Captain Johnson, Unknown or Spacedragon.
3. Warning shot. Third time the cyborg has to click anywhere but the criminal, but shooting the cell in front of the criminal is allowed. When firing the warning shot, the cyborg sends out a message warning the criminal from step 2 to empty their hands and lay down, and accept police custody.
4.Real shot. 5 Seconds after a warning shot, a real shot would be enabled. This cannot be used to target someone who is laying down. This shot is targeted at the criminal, and is intended to allow the borg to get the target in cuffs.
5. After action report. All the messages generated by the previous steps, and the location data of step 4 are put on a text box on the AI's UI, reviewing the facts of the shooting, and giving the AI to approve or deny the next attempted shot at this target, as well as deny all further taser usage by the borg. That option is only available to Borgs slaved to the AI though, free borgs play by their own rules (and by that I mean the AI has to manually deny each of their action reports, and only allow that borg to have 1 shot on each named person). After action report could basically serve the function of saying this is what your laws are, this is what the facts of the case are, do you approve or deny that the borgs actions fell within those parameters, and therefore subsequently approve or deny them shooting at this person again in connection to said crime.

I understand this would probably be infeasible to code, but is an example of mixing LRP and MRP.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Secborg Taser justification

Post by Farquaar » #658732

While I'm not sold on this idea, a gun that needs to be aimed successfully multiple times in order to fire could be an interesting weapon idea.
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #658740

We don't have secborgs and peaceborgs probably shouldn't arrest people.
Helios

Post by Helios » #658852

Jacquerel wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:56 pm We don't have secborgs and peaceborgs probably shouldn't arrest people.
I am proposing a way to bring secborgs back in a gimmicky way. A way where C.I.V.I.L. RIGHTS are preserved.
Another addition would be weapons access based on security level. On green alert they can use flash, on blue alert they can use the taser, but with the 5 step process between each shot, and on red alert they can use a Stun baton.
Also I would suggest a secborg upgrade, that would give them a crowbar and asimov restoration firmware. Basically giving sec borgs the ability to flash other cyborgs, swipe the asimov restoration card to unlock their core, crowbar it open, and restore asimov laws to the targeted borg through their reverse E-MAG
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #658909

Why would we want any of those things?
Borgs who are mechanically incentivised to validhunt are an actively bad idea.
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #658922

I'm gonna have to agree that secborgs were annoying and I was never a fan of them. They were just too OP in many ways. Not every antag has flash/emp. They can space-walk and aren't affected by atmos/pressure/fire/cold. They have an eye in the sky communication (and suit sensor tracker) with the AI. Plus it was THE role for valid-hunters.

So i'd personally rather avoid having them back even with your suggestions.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Helios

Post by Helios » #658973

kayozz wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:08 pm I'm gonna have to agree that secborgs were annoying and I was never a fan of them. They were just too OP in many ways. Not every antag has flash/emp. They can space-walk and aren't affected by atmos/pressure/fire/cold. They have an eye in the sky communication (and suit sensor tracker) with the AI. Plus it was THE role for valid-hunters.

So i'd personally rather avoid having them back even with your suggestions.
I understand the hesitation, just like with cloning. I am trying to say if we tie both of the secborgs arms behind his back, he's not obnoxious. Your past expectations of how secborg played are not how it has to continue in the future. I don't think peaceborgs are very popular among players, even if secborgs used to be overly popular with players.
If we add enough hoops for them to jump through, they will not be obnoxious.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #659074

I think the matter of having the tools causes the problem.
If you give a cyborg tools to arrest someone they will expect it is their job to use them. If they expect it is their job to arrest people they will seek out situations where they can do so.
Silicons aren't supposed to automatically care about space law but when you dress one as a cop and make its limited tools work mostly only for chasing and detaining people it is no surprise that's what it does. That's why we have a human harm prevention bot now instead.

It's certainly less popular than the fight borg was, but that is because players like fighting and just because they like it doesn't mean it should be encouraged.