Make Stunbatons Bulky

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Make Stunbatons Bulky

Post by Zybwivcz » #663158

That's it. That's the whole idea.

Still fits in security belts and sec clothing external storage.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: Make Stunbatons Bulky

Post by blackdav123 » #663160

Weston Echard on Sybil
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #663179

no fuck off
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #663180

Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #663193

stun batons should be required to be wielded in two hands like a fire axe to stun
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #663199

antagonists need more counterplay towards stunbatons in general but making them bulky is not the way to go
toemas

Post by toemas » #663205

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:33 am Image
It shouldnt be very difficult for an average skilled player to use disablers/bolas/pepperspray etc in conjunction with their baton. If batons just required an extra hit or didnt have knockdown or something then it shouldnt be an issue whatsoever, god forbid you have to actually use the tools available to you instead of just one weapon

Relevant:
oranges wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:41 am we don't design the game assuming that people can't pick up systems and learn them with some effort
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #663218

Stun batons should be made obsolete by making 1-hit critting the norm for most non-improvised weapons.
► Show Spoiler
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #663220

toemas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:15 am antagonists need more counterplay towards stunbatons in general but making them bulky is not the way to go
making them bulky and only fit in secbelts/sec clothing isn't a nerf to security or a counterplay that benefits antagonists, it's a nerf to people stealing them from sec
toemas

Post by toemas » #663222

Screemonster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:46 am making them bulky and only fit in secbelts/sec clothing isn't a nerf to security or a counterplay that benefits antagonists, it's a nerf to people stealing them from sec
yes, thats why its bad
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #663241

toemas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:43 am
It shouldnt be very difficult for an average skilled player to use disablers/bolas/pepperspray etc in conjunction with their baton. If batons just required an extra hit or didnt have knockdown or something then it shouldnt be an issue whatsoever, god forbid you have to actually use the tools available to you instead of just one weapon

I`m all for a stun baton nerf but you vastly overestimate the skill level of the average player.

IMO stun batons dont need a direct nerf.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/46323

This pr nerfed stamina regeneration for doing its job and its not necessarily documented anywhere in game that you take an extra chunk of stamina damage when you get stamcritted.

I think reverting this would be the nerf that stun batons/stam crit needs, stamina regeneration sources will be useful again at shortening the time youre in stamcrit while not making stun batons useless against you since you`ll have the stam slowdown for quite awhile and be disabled for several seconds after being hit, leaving ample time for players that were trying to baton you to process what happened, and even continue stamcritting you while calling for backup or just critting you, or simply aggro grab cuffing.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #663246

3000h players guess at the skill of an average player

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #663247

If batons just required an extra hit or didnt have knockdown or something then it shouldnt be an issue whatsoever
there is no issue and both of these are things i have blocked in the past for being terrible ham fisted ideas

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #663249

Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #663261

I'll go even further than Mothblocks. Buff stun batons - revert the insuls nerf.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #663263

toemas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 am
Screemonster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:46 am making them bulky and only fit in secbelts/sec clothing isn't a nerf to security or a counterplay that benefits antagonists, it's a nerf to people stealing them from sec
yes, thats why its bad
yeah, I wasn't disagreeing
antags having a counterplay against sec batoning them is good but this suggestion is just "hey we should nerf batons by making them unusable by anyone other than sec"
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #663269

Screemonster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:30 pm
toemas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:54 am
yes, thats why its bad
yeah, I wasn't disagreeing
antags having a counterplay against sec batoning them is good but this suggestion is just "hey we should nerf batons by making them unusable by anyone other than sec"
Ephedrine. Pump up. Syndicate Stimpacks. Freedom implants to just break out after they cuff you. Ranged weaponry in general. Stealing your own stun baton. Stealing the reactive teleport armor. Not getting on sec's radar in the first place by being stealthy.

I think stun batons already have a lot of counterplay.
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #663280

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:49 pm
Ephedrine. Pump up. Syndicate Stimpacks. Freedom implants to just break out after they cuff you. Ranged weaponry in general. Stealing your own stun baton. Stealing the reactive teleport armor. Not getting on sec's radar in the first place by being stealthy.

I think stun batons already have a lot of counterplay.
There are ALOT more counters to stun batons but like I said most forms of stamina regeneration like ephedrine and pumpup dont mean anything impactful, ive even seen changelings get noob baited into taking adrenaline + chitinous mass and ask how they got stamcritted in deadchat and I had to teach them that the only counterplay they have to stun batons is spam transform into monkey and back.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #663311

I've not done chemistry in over a year but I remember Aranesp combined with a few other stimulants (Ephedrine/Meth/Pump-up) making you essentially stun immune while being much more manageable than bathsalts.
It keeps getting worse!?
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #663313

Mice World wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:50 pm I've not done chemistry in over a year but I remember Aranesp combined with a few other stimulants (Ephedrine/Meth/Pump-up) making you essentially stun immune while being much more manageable than bathsalts.
You have to stack atleast around 30-40 ish stamina regen to actually reach a point where youre resistant/immune to stamcrit due to the time between stamina regeneration ticks (and i think time dilation also might screw you ogre). nerve splicing surgery ontop of that ya sure youll be good against the majority of players that dont know the shove cuff grab. (50% stun resistance from nerve splicing doesnt actually help against this you need like 75+%)

You can also do the simple probital + modafinil combo which is simple but comes with its own downsides of making it easier for you to run away from unless you make the pill more and more complex with other meds.

Its why I think if stun batons / stamina is ever going to be nerfed it should only be the extra stamina on stamcrit being reverted, its the most unhealthy part of the stamcombat system because its a magic stam hit you take that you can only learn how to overcome with experience/its not easy to spreadsheet warrior/calculate to overcome it and its not something most players even KNOW ABOUT so it becomes something only a minority of players will know about and even less will know how to overcome.
Spoiler:
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #663424

Bulky batons would only be an antag "nerf" to the extent that every antag who can use stunbatons makes getting one a top priority.

It would be a buff to antag gear in that antags would now have an actual reason to use it, instead of getting for free something better than nearly all of it three minutes into the round by doorcrushing beepsky.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #663452

if your idea of improving the game is restraining people into the bespoke uplink more then you have a fat chance of getting your ideas past me

Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #663455

While we're on the topic of wacky stun baton balance ideas, what if having stimulants (from stimpacks) canceled out a baton hit of any kind BUT made you vomit up all the stimulants in you onto the ground. Maybe the vomit is neon blue. No idea if it would be balanced BUT it would be funny to watch everyone swarm this guy's vomit for gamer vomit drugs. Probably would make stimpacks a must buy though.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #663466

Zybwivcz wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:06 am Bulky batons would only be an antag "nerf" to the extent that every antag who can use stunbatons makes getting one a top priority.

It would be a buff to antag gear in that antags would now have an actual reason to use it, instead of getting for free something better than nearly all of it three minutes into the round by doorcrushing beepsky.
how recently before making this thread did you get cucked by someone having a stunbaton who doesn't get sec clothing as part of their gear
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #664472

Mothblocks wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 am if your idea of improving the game is restraining people into the bespoke uplink more then you have a fat chance of getting your ideas past me
If you want traitors to be stronger than a regular crew member you sort of have to give them good exclusive gear, no? I never even consider fighting security as a solo antag because the baton is so incredibly dangerous, even 1 v 1. If something like a Nightmare is outclassed in maint single combat, the balance is obviously very off. Honestly i'd like to see some sort of buff to stunprods (although making them fit in a backpack would just result in buffing crew/nerfing solo antags instead)
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #664475

Zybwivcz wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:46 pm That's it. That's the whole idea.

Still fits in security belts and sec clothing external storage.
I'll just put the rest of my belt gear in my backpack and carry five stun batons on the belt, this will do nothing about sec carrying multiple batons either
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578