RPG Stats (okay wait hear me out)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

RPG Stats (okay wait hear me out)

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #663626

Had this idea cooking for while, and I have a feeling it could add some nice depth to the game. If you are unfamiliar with the idea of RPG stats, the concept is in essence numbers that reveal something about your character and make you better or more effective in things relating to that stat. Examples include DnD's charisma, or the Fallout Franchise's luck. Alot of SS13 servers have a mechanic like this as well.

Where my vision differs, there is no character creator element to this where you get to choose your stats, and they aren't dolled out by your station role (this is something that yogstation and colonial marines do.) Instead, everyone starts out the same (probably starting at an arbitrary number like 10 or 0), and stats fluctuate based on your character's current state of being. Most changes would be temporary or tied to some variable condition such as hunger or or the progression of a disease. Permanent ones would be as a result of some other game changing effect on a character, such as ascending as a heretic, genetic mutation, or learning a martial art.I don't think we need to be overloaded with a ton of stats that will never see significant gameplay implementation. I'll call it RAC
The idea is that at shift start, everyone is pretty much the same, but the choices they make throughout the shift can give them advantages or disadvantages in scenerios.

Robustness- Measurement of tenacity, eagerness of muscle, and willpower to guide those muscles
Alacrity- Measurement of the spring in your step, and how light you are on your feet.
Cognition- Measurement of how fast your brain can think, and combat reflexes.

My proposed stat line up is pretty slim and focused on temporary stat of being rather than some inherent quality to a character,
Plan for implementation:
Step 1. Get the framework for the system down, codify the stats, make procs to modify them, make procs to check them, code in a few minor interactions. Make it very easy to integrate
Step 2. As new features get coded in, and old features get reworked, the RAC can be integrated into those features in order to bring them more depth and cross interaction.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit

Things your stats might be able to do for you. (the opposite is true if you have lower stats) Just ideas, subject to change
Robustness - Win arm wrestling contests. Lower movement speed penalty from pulling things. Struggle out of cable ties fasters. Slit throats faster. Have your own throat slit slower.
Alacrity - Run quicker (this could replace hunger's movement slowing mechanic), dodge slips, shoot hoops in basket ball better. Block with shields better
Cognition - Strip Faster, hack faster, shoot guns faster, break confusion faster.

Things that might effect your stats
Robustness - Fluctuates with your hunger. It would go way up if you were a hulk. Goes down or up with chemicals. Working out.
Alacrity - Being encumbered with a lot of gear can reduce it, and being very light could increase it. Goes down or up with chemicals.
Cognition - Scales with sanity. Goes down with brain damage. Goes down or up with chemicals. Blood loss would decrease it.

As you can see, these examples are a bit surface deep, but once we get the framework in, we have room for expansion. Diet systems for tracking proteins and vitamins. Complex dodging and blocking systems. Alterations to weapon damage and attack speed. Surgical body modification. Dodging bullets. A pain and pain resistance system. The possibilities are endless, it opens up so many avenues for expansion.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Re: RPG Stats (okay wait hear me out)

Post by Mice World » #663659

I love this idea. I've always wanted to see tgstation have a stat system as I think stats add more creative ways to roleplay.

However, with your system I think that Robustness and "Endurance" (HT, Damage resistance, whatever) should be separate from each other. There's a few situations where your general strength shouldn't increase (Being fat, taking painkillers, healing chemicals etc.) that would make your endurance raise.

Otherwise, I think you should get a maintainer backing this idea if you haven't already. A lot of people won't like this idea, especially if it changes how combat works.
It keeps getting worse!?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #663665

Endurance should be "Constitution."
Cognition should be "Gumption."

That way the acronym for all 4 stats is "CRAG".

I'll take my payment in solid golden diamonds, please.
RandumbPhantomb
Byond Username: Randumb Phantomb

Post by RandumbPhantomb » #708752

it could always just be in the character creator.
STR - Melee damage, Melee stamina damage, lift things quicker, right vending machines quicker, break out of grabs easier, tackle better, grab better, maybe resist shoves, maybe high levels could do blunt wounds with punches
DEX - Faster move speed, strip things faster, maybe high levels could resist slipping occasionally
CON - Slight DR, like 1-10%, organs take less damage, less likely to scar, less likely to be blinded, more alchohol tolerance, high levels could maybe recover from crit on their own.
INT - I have no idea what an intelligence stat would change
WIS - resist mental effects, like hypnotism, and rev flashes, and cultist conversion, maybe higher stamina, high levels could have a chance to resist paralyzing effects
CHR - *shrugs*
aaa
Byond Username: Ballkicker

Post by aaa » #711027

RandumbPhantomb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:27 am it could always just be in the character creator.
STR - Melee damage, Melee stamina damage, lift things quicker, right vending machines quicker, break out of grabs easier, tackle better, grab better, maybe resist shoves, maybe high levels could do blunt wounds with punches
DEX - Faster move speed, strip things faster, maybe high levels could resist slipping occasionally
CON - Slight DR, like 1-10%, organs take less damage, less likely to scar, less likely to be blinded, more alchohol tolerance, high levels could maybe recover from crit on their own.
INT - I have no idea what an intelligence stat would change
WIS - resist mental effects, like hypnotism, and rev flashes, and cultist conversion, maybe higher stamina, high levels could have a chance to resist paralyzing effects
CHR - *shrugs*
charisma makes it able sex the space dragon