What you think of departmental assistants?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Diasyl
Byond Username: Diasyl

What you think of departmental assistants?

Post by Diasyl » #675573

Departmental assistants would be assistants which are specifically designated to a certain department, having the access but being the lowest of lowest in it.

Departmental assistants would preserve the actual job slots with gear and responsibilities to people who know what they're doing, while newbies can play on the departmental assistants.

Also departmental assistants would expand the amount of people that can fit in one department.
You also might say that you can just get just a assistant, but assistant fails at assisting. Most of the times they're occupied by someone who knows everything but just wants to chill and punch everyone. And the others are so green they can't walk, talk, grab, and totally don't know where HoP is or that he exists.

What do you think of this idea?
Captain can only be in two places - Bridge and the Morgue :capid: :revolver:
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Re: What you think of departmental assistants?

Post by warbluke » #675701

I don't think they should be called "Assistants" since that might attract people wanting to tide but with more access. Maybe "Trainee?"
Also make it like sec officers where you pick a department you spawn in assigned to so it's only one job but with subsets instead of five+
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #675702

Some other servers have apprenticeship roles for certain jobs, I would love to see that
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #675756

warbluke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:30 pm I don't think they should be called "Assistants" since that might attract people wanting to tide but with more access. Maybe "Trainee?"
Also make it like sec officers where you pick a department you spawn in assigned to so it's only one job but with subsets instead of five+
You can surely give them more unique names, but that still show their greenish. For example:
  • Medical Resident or Nurse
  • Maintenance Technician
  • Security Cadet
  • Science Student
  • Cargo Clerk
  • Steward
  • Bridge Secretary
I intentionally didn't said which one belongs to where (kind of), so I can see if intuitively understandable where who belongs. Also I wanna know if its obvious that its a newbie role.
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #675951

Like, I have actually done it now lol
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #675955

i never liked the idea of departmental assistants because newbies learning jobs are never “wasting slots”- that’s a terrible perspective to have and we should instead focus on making the jobs more approachable. adding these jobs would just bloat up the departments and jobs. some certain jobs require access like virology so the departmental assistants wouldnt even be able to learn it

i will say this: i love it when people have “intern” on their job title and i seriously think we should extend that to like your first 5 hours in a job if you have less than 100 play time hours.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #675969

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:44 pm i never liked the idea of departmental assistants because newbies learning jobs are never “wasting slots”- that’s a terrible perspective to have and we should instead focus on making the jobs more approachable. adding these jobs would just bloat up the departments and jobs. some certain jobs require access like virology so the departmental assistants wouldnt even be able to learn it

i will say this: i love it when people have “intern” on their job title and i seriously think we should extend that to like your first 5 hours in a job if you have less than 100 play time hours.
Well, departmental assistants literal job is to assist everyone in the department.
As such nurse can assist virologist if he needs help or nurse wants to learn it themselves.

I see nothing horrible in it. And newbies do take up important jobs from more professional players, not like I hate newbies, but the jobs with proper authority and responsibilities should be in the hand of players who know something. While newbies on the departmental assistants can learn from them.
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #675970

What's for sure it will improve is the security department quality, as now to play security you don't need 300 minutes just as crew which gives you almost nothing to security knowledge.
But you need 300 minutes on the security cadet, who is in the security department and understands its functions and proper employment.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #679654

I like departmental assistants. I don't like time requirements having to be made through departmental assistants. I don't like limited slots on assistants. I need to be convinced of command assistants.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #679663

Couldn't i just get a robot to fetch me my coffees and cigarettes?

Spoiler: