Let’s make calling the Evac shuttle have a dead player requirement

A place to record your ideas for the game.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Let’s make calling the Evac shuttle have a dead player requirement

Post by The Wrench » #680173

Currently, players have a bad habit of calling the shuttle over the minorist of inconveniences, or because they want to roll antag

I propose we put a percentage On the required amount of dead before an hour of gameplay goes by. The shuttle should not be callable unless a certain percentage of the crew are dead or an hour goes past, that way dynamic can start pumping out the fun threats that are normally time locked.
Last edited by The Wrench on Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Let’s make calling the event shuttle have a dead player requirement

Post by Armhulen » #680288

I'm not *that* against it but this is a bandaid for the real issue which is why players are boredcalling. Not enough happening, too often!
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #680318

I'm not saying progtraitor is responsible for this level of boredom

HOWEVER
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #680320

it would be funny to see ";everyone suicide at hopline so I can call it", I guess. Or, better yet, command starting a purge after captain stubs his toe.
► Show Spoiler
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #680415

shuttle calls are the voice of the oppressed (the playerbase)
it's not good to mask them, since round length statistics ought to be honest. if people don't want to play we should fix that, not force them to
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #680427

There can also be a strategic element. If you got war ops and you know they want that fuckin disk, you might as well shuttle call when you can, instead of waiting until war ops kill half the crew before you can finally start retreating.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #680640

TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:46 am shuttle calls are the voice of the oppressed (the playerbase)
it's not good to mask them, since round length statistics ought to be honest. if people don't want to play we should fix that, not force them to
Shuttle calls are not reflective of the player base at large, they are reflective of roles with shuttle call access.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #680736

it's not a perfect indicator but I still don't think it should be artificially delayed
if the round is boring consistently we should fix that yaknow?
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #680759

you are all objectively wrong because people aren't calling the shuttle cuz they're bored they're calling the shuttle so everyone gets a roll at antag
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #680765

Unless you've been absorbing the minds of our players like a changeling, keep "objective" outta thy mouth because that's a theory. And it's not like that can't be a contributing factor as well, but more action would keep people from wishing for another antag roll instead of continuing with a round
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #680776

Restarting the round is the more collective way of doing things. Mechanics of hijacks aside.

I hate kilo, frankly the other guy does too, if its one minute into the round of kilostation i am definitely going to vote yes if able (its bad taste, dont start votes minute 1 please if you can't call shuttle minute 1), and this cavalier attitude carries into shuttle calls.
Oh BROTHER kilostation SUCKS
Oh BROTHER kilostation SUCKS

Spoiler:
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #681099

The issue is the players, not the game. The people who call because they want to roll antag don't have any attention span whatsoever. You can't fix that.
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #681105

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 pm The issue is the players, not the game. The people who call because they want to roll antag don't have any attention span whatsoever. You can't fix that.
Well then, let’s take away those who wish to roll antag their ability to force that on everyone else for at least an hour or an actual emergency happens.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #681111

Adam Klein wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:02 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 pm The issue is the players, not the game. The people who call because they want to roll antag don't have any attention span whatsoever. You can't fix that.
Well then, let’s take away those who wish to roll antag their ability to force that on everyone else for at least an hour or an actual emergency happens.
Oh, no, I agree with you, I just don't think coderbus is willing to do so because they think it's an issue of "Game boring, fix game instead of bandaid" when it's really the players who are broken.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Re: Let’s make calling the Evac shuttle have a dead player requirement

Post by Armhulen » #681162

Bad player habits are encouraged via gameplay.
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #681417

Helios wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:44 am There can also be a strategic element. If you got war ops and you know they want that fuckin disk, you might as well shuttle call when you can, instead of waiting until war ops kill half the crew before you can finally start retreating.
Calling the shuttle to deal with warops defeats the whole point of warops. It should be a battle between the crew and the operators. Forcing a call because a threat becomes an actual threat is just play to win behavior in my opinion. Fight the antags, don’t try to cuck them with the shuttle.

People who call shuttle for cult/Nukies are cringe and deserve bedbugs. There’s a reason we disabled the shuttle for blob and revs.

BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #681704

A PR for this was attempted for this already, but it was closed: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/27305
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #681708

That was a pr from 6 years ago, I would argue that the game has been changed massively since then. Especially considering the new dynamic mode changes the well *Dynamic* of how shifts go down.