Chemistry the next Research Subject

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Heolo
Byond Username: Heolo

Chemistry the next Research Subject

Post by Heolo » #682272

Having full access to all chemicals at shift start gives chemists too much power and makes it difficult for other players to compete in a fight. Chemists can quickly create powerful weapons and drugs that can be used to easily overpower other players, making it unfair. Especially since the introduction of ModSuits, or rather the removal of Hard Suits which was the best option to resist chemist darts. Limiting the amount of chemicals available to chemists at shift start would balance out the playing field and make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Just like every other department, this should be partially gated behind science research thus encouraging cross station cooperation. It could be easily linked to existing medical research or go wild with it and add a couple research nodes. As for which chems should be gated behind research nodes, certainly not a full half but 4-6 should be reasonable, thus adding a sense of progression.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Chemistry the next Research Subject

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #682306

This comes from a good place, but science shouldn't be gating anything but what is essentially better things anyway, the existing experimentation focus for basic tech nodes like botany (requiring rng to trigger a mutation, requiring a buttload of effort spent elsewhere) is what is really dragging the game down.

Spoiler:
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #682344

-1 from me boss. Hamstringing job content for the sake of “progression” isn’t the way to make things more fun. Ideally we should be moving away from depending on science for anything because it fundamentally sucks as a system.

total science department removal when?
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #682357

Absolutely not. I moved Genetics over to Science with the expectation that Medical would still have Chemistry. Moving that over leaves it with only Virology and gives Science way too much bloat.

If Chemistry has balance issues, we should be addressing them, not forcing the job into progression so we can ignore them.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #682358

Science already has too much arguably
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #682402

Definitely no, but research requiring some chemicals from chemistry would be dope imo. I always liked the acid nonsense of really old RnD
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #682455

I don’t want to remove roundstart chems, but I would love *new* chems behind research.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #682855

Yeah, I like the idea of maybe putting some late-game chems behind research, but a very small number.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #682891

Late game chems are already supposed to be gated by requiring miners to actually do their job for silver and gold and plasma, and having to grind those bars which is a pain.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #683231

anything relying on material balance is not gated by anything
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683353

oranges wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:35 am anything relying on material balance is not gated by anything
Mechas?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #686181

i think you hit the nail on the problem but im not sure i like the proposed solution.

Pharmacy has everything handed to them roundstart, and the only limiting factor is the presence of the chem machines (dispenser being the worst offender) and the willingness to put up with making the chems (especially if theyre purity bound).

I would be ok with moving some chems out of the dispenser into materials that require outside assistance (Silver for instance), but those reagents would have to be valuable in some way.

"Ideally" Id like to see chemistry get goop from somewhere, and they have different tools to purify it to the reagents they desire then combine them as normal. A big problem with chem is that it is way too clean, you can get a precise 5u (1 with a master) from the jump. Theres certainly some love for that type of gameplay because everyone seems to share the passion when talking about ghetto chemistry.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current