Tweak how ERT/Marine Commanders Spawn

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Tweak how ERT/Marine Commanders Spawn

Post by Lacran » #687210

I was thinking it might be a good idea to implement a whitelist for ERT/Marine commanders, maybe even officials too. this wouldn't affect your chances of getting ERT, only which ERT role you'd be given.

I'm basing this off of a typical ERT round where players don't really operate under the commander in most cases, as its been randomly assigned and the person that got it, may not want to command, or may not even realize they were chosen to lead the team. this usually results in the ERT team splitting up with no real plan and dying one by one to whatever threat they were sent to deal with.

Players that opt in to a commander whitelist would be given priority to role for commander, if no whitelisted players role, it would be randomly assigned as per usual. It is always fun to send in ERT to add more fun to the round, but it would be cool to have a system in place for more co-ordination.

The whitelist itself could be based on something like minimum hours as head played (anyone banned from heads should probably be ineligible). Or could just be a simple opt-in whitelist for any player that wants more responsibility.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Tweak how ERT/Marine Commanders Spawn

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #687218

as an admin, i wouldn’t want this to restrict how i can use the available pool of ghosts to make erts or send officals
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #687219

The whitelist itself would only alter who is priority for being Commander were they to successfully roll ERT. This is separate from determining who gets ERT. If you wanted a specific person assigned, I'm not super familiar with that process vs rolling for random assignment but I would assume that you picking specific people for specific roles wouldn't interact.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #687221

there's already an option to get the most experienced player to roll for commander. Don't think screwing around with whitelists is necessary.
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #687228

Melbert mentioned to me today that the time played feature isn't functional.

If it is functional I don't really see it used.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #687356

this is an admin issue and should be ignored unless an admin requests it.
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #688045

A whitelist is probably too much work.

Would adding preferred ERT role as a character preference similar to sec department preferences make more sense?

This would remove any admin oversight requirements and benefit players by being more likely to be playing an ERT that matches their game knowledge. Instead of med mains getting engineer ERT and vice versa.