SINGULARITY REPLACEMENT

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

SINGULARITY REPLACEMENT

Post by Scones » #84442

SO MANY ROUNDS HAVE I SEEN CONSUMED BY THE ETERNALLY HUNGERING MAW OF 5-MINUTE SINGULOTH

seriously can we just get supermatter
or
SOMETHING

this is dumb
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: SINGULARITY REPLACEMENT

Post by Bombadil » #84443

Oh yeah Supermatter is so fun. It needs constant maintenance and a competent crew member to setup atmos. Wonderful idea really.

Also singuloth isn't that hard to stop from releasing if AI actually keeps a fucking eye on it
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Scones

Post by Scones » #84445

intitial setup error seems to be the biggest issue with it, one small and somewhat innocent fuckup = round irreparably destroyed for everyone else unless you get extreme rng and it wanders empty space Z's forever
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #84453

Scones wrote:intitial setup error seems to be the biggest issue with it, one small and somewhat innocent fuckup = round irreparably destroyed for everyone else unless you get extreme rng and it wanders empty space Z's forever
Have it start already set up, then.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #84458

>Not wanting to bask in the gravitational, radioactive glory of lord singulo
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #84459

I think I figured out why it keeps getting released. As an admin scones you should be able to tell why singularities get released.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9168
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones

Post by Scones » #84462

Ikarrus wrote:I think I figured out why it keeps getting released. As an admin scones you should be able to tell why singularities get released.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/9168
I already expressed my support and understanding of that but

Man I see so many sing releases just because of minor mistakes, like accidentally forgetting a gen or something
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #84465

A free Singulo is one of the most fun things in SS13. I am against replacing it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #84472

Wow you guys are disgustingly unrobust
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #84475

Where that tesla engine at
I play Boris Pepper.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #84478

>engineers not monitoring power
>engineers not doing their job
>engineers not using pacman to supplement power
>engineers not using solars
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #84479

Next up, chef starts with a kitchen full of completed food in case they suck at cooking.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #84487

Reason why Lord Singu would get released because you have either engineers who are just bad at their jobs or a traitor doing it for a shuttle call. If you want it to stop getting released onto the station then give it's own SMES off the main grid to prevent it from getting shut down if the main SMES are fucked or power sink.
IMO Supermatter is worse than lord Singu due the facts:
1. Needs to have constant watch on it, otherwise it explodes
2. Seriously it explodes any time I've ever seen it set up.
3. Disturbingly robust traitor weapon, sure the sing can be beaconed to an area but it can kill you too. SM can be dragged around and do MASSIVE aoe stuns to people.
4. Needlessly complicated if you're a new engineer or someone who never works with atmos at all.
SM can be a great alternative if someone knows how to work with it, sometimes being better than the sing, but has a high maintenance level that would turn most players off to it, where as with the sing you fill plasma tanks,bolt,wire, and set up the field and be done with it after that.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #84488

RG4 wrote: 1. Needs to have constant watch on it, otherwise it explodes
Huh? I set up a SM engine in the HoS office with a space-cooling loop not long ago, did take no maintenance afterwards except dragging radiated Security Officers out of the equipment room. (Was a traitor Clown, pls no ban)

Still if that would be the case, it only explodes and fucks engineering. Not the entire station. Singularity is too powerful. You want a shuttle call? Cut two cables in engineering, everyone dies.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #84522

It takes literally no maintenance if you know how to set up a proper cooling loop. The only thing that stops us from really using the SM engine is that we still need a dedicated room in engineering for it.

And even if it did require maintenance, so what? If anything thats a good thing, since all engineers have to do now is set up the singularity in 5 minuted before they go greyyellowtide.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #84557

Must be a Diamond powered engine
The future is horrible!
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #84582

Ezel wrote:Must be a Diamond powered engine
The Superpacman or whatever the fuck it's called IS a diamond eating power source - make it via R&D.

SM engine is 100% stable if you've make a proper cooling/atmos setup (which, if it was a default engine, it would start with). It's only an issue because most of the time when people make one from scratch that make some dodgy crap that overheats and explodes after a while.

The upside of the SM engine is that while it can still explode (and cause mass hallucinations, incinerate anone that touches it etc), it won't completely and utterly destroy the entire station and end the round.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #84591

lumipharon wrote:
Ezel wrote:Must be a Diamond powered engine
The Superpacman or whatever the fuck it's called IS a diamond eating power source - make it via R&D.

SM engine is 100% stable if you've make a proper cooling/atmos setup (which, if it was a default engine, it would start with). It's only an issue because most of the time when people make one from scratch that make some dodgy crap that overheats and explodes after a while.

The upside of the SM engine is that while it can still explode (and cause mass hallucinations, incinerate anone that touches it etc), it won't completely and utterly destroy the entire station and end the round.
Frankly this thing is more likely to get taken into the bar and cause mass mayhem
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #84663

Oh, if only we had the tesla engine to throw lightning bolts everywhere and electrify everything when you let it go
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #84761

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Oh, if only we had the tesla engine to throw lightning bolts everywhere and electrify everything when you let it go
Move on. For your own sanity, please just move on.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #84762

The singularity eating the station is one of the most iconic and exciting round ends though.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #84770

The singularity should require some kind of upkeep, so that engineers will stay and tend to it and thus spot people releasing it/stop it from releasing itself. Also a way to shut it down fast.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #84777

Man_Shroom wrote:The singularity should require some kind of upkeep, so that engineers will stay and tend to it and thus spot people releasing it/stop it from releasing itself. Also a way to shut it down fast.
Being required to stay in one room for two hours, lest the station be destroyed/you banned, sounds riveting
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #84786

It does need maintenance because the rad collectors can run out of plasma, the round is just never long enough anyway
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #85106

Man_Shroom wrote:so that engineers will stay and tend to it and thus spot people releasing it/stop it from releasing itself.
Move security checkpoint to opposite of pacc, where hardsuits are in storage. Sec rarely stays within confines of his post, but still.

Make it easier to deal with singulo, if containment is sabotaged, it is very large, but not out yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scram

Push an emergency button, to make auxilary ray gun shoot negative bluespace particles into singulo, reducing it's size and preventing from expanding, disappearing eventually. It could potentially work even when it's out already, but still in range of magical ray gun.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #85109

I have never had a 5-minute singulo in the shifts where I was an engineer/CE. Yes sometimes engineers make mistakes but these are easily resolved by engineers double-checking each others' work, just like in real life. Not to mention the giant time window the PA has before it actually spawns the singulo for any last-minute mistakes. In fact, generally speaking (for me), the only times the singulo gets released at all is if the shift has dragged on for so long or the station is in such disarray that the engineers and the AI don't pay attention to the engine. And AI's tend to be very good at catching singulo sabotage. Though at that point, the shuttle should have been called anyways.

Singulo is fine as is and a vital piece to the SS13 experience.

The problem isn't the singulos or the engineers, the problem is that you aren't playing engineer.
oranges wrote:Wow you guys are disgustingly unrobust
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #85114

Kor wrote:The singularity eating the station is one of the most iconic and exciting round ends though.
I'm inclined to agree with you since I've had some hilarious moments like the singularity eating the escape shuttle and everyone on it but that tends to be overshadowed when you have a couple of rounds in a row ruined because some incompetent faggots released the singularity round start
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #85128

Supermatter Generator is not only safer than a Singularity but can usually produce the same, if not more, power.

I think a SM Generator is a good goal for a good Engineering team/person in setting up a reliable, and safer, power source.

As other's have noted, the singularity is not only a very iconic power source. But far more destructive if let loose, and with the code/server changes to the game having reduced the lag a loose sing produces from 'killing the server' to 'its like I'm wearing nothing at all', this simply makes the sing even more attractive as a "fun!" power source.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85130

The problem with the Supermatter is nobody wants to set up an area to use it, and theres no sizable room to set one up in. Nobody has to pull the emitters and field gens into place, wrench/weld them down, build containment walls, pull the PA parts out of a box and Chips Challenge them into place and then lay the cable to the SMES. Singularity is a couple steps away from just being automatically on and running by itself at roundstart.

Honestly I kinda liked the old SMES placement, and the construction room off to the left would be a great framework for setting up a supermatter. Plus it was a pretty good cult base.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
hanshansenhansson
Byond Username: HansDampf

Post by hanshansenhansson » #85174

This is all it took to set up the SM: (ran stable for 1h until AI went malf). The most difficult task is to get the shard from cargo.

Why not give the CE a button to either choose sing or shard at the beginning of the shift? (Defaults to sing if no CE).
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85214

Because fun is not allooooowed
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MeatShake
Byond Username: MeatShake

Post by MeatShake » #85231

I never got why everything was conveniently set up for engineering sans like 4 steps which just serve to make the round start a monotonous ritual. Either put all the parts up in secure storage and give us multiple options or have it already started. I know how to set it up by heart but still fuck it up because its boring and I just wanna get it over with and yes one single misstep and 10 minutes later "SINGLO LOOSE!"

It would even be interesting if sometimes certain power sources were restricted to force innovation, I'm sure admins could do that themselves for fun during some rounds.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #85234

I had an idea a while back for a new power source of the station. Basically it'd be like some kind of weird nuclear power thing. I forget all the details about how it'd work but if you fucked up while setting it up or if it was tampered with it'd become unstable and periodically release huge waves of radioactive emissions throughout the station, dealing severe radiation damage to any poor fuck not fortunate enough to be in a safe place (ideally maintenance) during an emission. Emissions would also randomly cause normally harmless pets around the station to mutate into blood thirsty abominations and have a chance to do it to common items as well, giving them unique properties ranging from very dangerous (setting anyone who comes near them on fire) to beneficial (regenerating the health of anyone holding them). The same could happen to crew members albeit at a VERY low chance (talking like 5%). Emissions would continue unless some brave soul made the trip to stabilize the engine, which would more than likely be a one way ticket as the radiation surrounding the core would be EXTREMELY lethal and anomalies (including vortex, gravitation, atmospheric, and flux anomalies) would be present around it. So basically it could still be a potentially round ending thing if left alone BUT it could also be a source of interesting new loot and fun if someone's brave enough to try to stabilize the engine.

Yes, I totally stole a good portion of that from STALKER.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #85639

^^
Not gonna lie. Zonestation 13? That sounds kinda fun.

Good luck getting someone to code it though.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #85647

Vortex anomalies, no thanks. Those would shut down the engine right quick.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #85773

Bluespace wrote:Where that tesla engine at
You need to kidnap a coder for that.
Kor wrote:The singularity eating the station is one of the most iconic and exciting round ends though.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #86062

Jacough wrote:I had an idea a while back for a new power source of the station. Basically it'd be like some kind of weird nuclear power thing. I forget all the details about how it'd work but if you fucked up while setting it up or if it was tampered with it'd become unstable and periodically release huge waves of radioactive emissions throughout the station, dealing severe radiation damage to any poor fuck not fortunate enough to be in a safe place (ideally maintenance) during an emission. Emissions would also randomly cause normally harmless pets around the station to mutate into blood thirsty abominations and have a chance to do it to common items as well, giving them unique properties ranging from very dangerous (setting anyone who comes near them on fire) to beneficial (regenerating the health of anyone holding them). The same could happen to crew members albeit at a VERY low chance (talking like 5%). Emissions would continue unless some brave soul made the trip to stabilize the engine, which would more than likely be a one way ticket as the radiation surrounding the core would be EXTREMELY lethal and anomalies (including vortex, gravitation, atmospheric, and flux anomalies) would be present around it. So basically it could still be a potentially round ending thing if left alone BUT it could also be a source of interesting new loot and fun if someone's brave enough to try to stabilize the engine.

Yes, I totally stole a good portion of that from STALKER.

Fucking right. Fund it.
RocKeD
Byond Username: Rocked

Post by RocKeD » #86403

oranges wrote:>engineers not monitoring power
>engineers not doing their job
>engineers not using pacman to supplement power
>engineers not using solars
I don't mean to intrude on this discussion but I think I might have come up with a solution to these problems: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3564.
Please let me know if I should not link my topics in someone else's topic.