Full assistant access.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
chesquatt
Byond Username: CheSquatt

Full assistant access.

Post by chesquatt » #86105

Requiring someone to pick a non-assistant role is a bad idea. Here are the reasons.

A. If you force a player who is new, or who is just awful at roles play as something not assistant, you are going to have the singularity ripping the station apart. You want competant people to pick their roles they can do (not saying that always happens.) You also want people who suck, to pick a role that doesn't result in the station falling apart if it goes poorly.

B. I don't wanna pick engineer or cargo, let alone a more consequential position if I may have to leave, or am not committed to finishing the round for whatever reason.

C. If someone wants to do their own RP, or run say a boxing match, and they can't pick assistant they gotta walk off the job to do it. It corners players.

Let people who wanna pick assistant, pick assistant.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Re: Full assistant access.

Post by Lovecraft » #86106

I agree with this entirely. It's not a crime to encourage players to actually pick a job instead of just going assistant, but I think it's ridiculous I have to take the steps to take access off of my ID as soon as I start the game just because of this little gate.
We should work on making jobs more enticing to players instead of barring people from playing the role they want to.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86123

If this server didn't have a history of legitimately awful assistants and a policy of being too "nice" to just straight ban them but instead give them nine more chances at being turbo bad, it wouldn't be this way.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #86138

After the freeze I might look into adding an "Intern" role with a max age of 60 days since signup, which would be unlimited, so that newer players always have a recourse if the only jobs available are ones they don't know how to play.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #86156

Assistant is already unrestricted to new players for two weeks.

You guys aren't new players, so that's probably why you didn't know.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #86189

So there is no newbie problem and people are trying to justify the grey tide?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #86192

A problem OP never bothered to actually check with newbies, apparently.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #86194

Wow, that's very well thought out.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #86195

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:After the freeze I might look into adding an "Intern" role with a max age of 60 days since signup, which would be unlimited, so that newer players always have a recourse if the only jobs available are ones they don't know how to play.
I think interns are fun. Promotes roleplay within teaching game mechanics, and I know that as a newer player it's really easy to just be afraid to try new roles for fear of taking a slot from a good/experienced player or just not even knowing where to start.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86260

Saegrimr wrote:If this server didn't have a history of legitimately awful assistants and a policy of being too "nice" to just straight ban them but instead give them nine more chances at being turbo bad, it wouldn't be this way.
Lets just take all those shitty assistants
and put them in roles important to the station! Whose idea was that?

Also, the fact new players can always pick assistant is really good and not a feature I would have known about, but A+ job whoever thought to add that.

But seriously Rowdy Randy or Dickshit McGee is a fraction as harmful to the station as an assistant than as a cargo tech, engineer or medic. At best Dickshit ditches his ID somewhere and does what he was going to do anyway, now leaving the station down one engineer. Just jobban greytding assistants. At worst Dickshit steals some sleeping drugs and drugs people in the bar, or is an awful engineer and decides to steal a piece of the engine. I guess those are all easy ways to get jobbanned. Not like that's any different from assistant though.
Last edited by chesquatt on Wed May 06, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86261

Its easier to notice a med doctor dicking around and ban him if he makes a habit of it.

Then eventually he finds himself banned from every station important role for being a useless greyfuck until its effectively a server ban as the only thing left is assistant he can't choose.

tl;dr stop being a useless fucking greyshit.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86265

Saegrimr wrote:Its easier to notice a med doctor dicking around and ban him if he makes a habit of it.

Then eventually he finds himself banned from every station important role for being a useless greyfuck until its effectively a server ban as the only thing left is assistant he can't choose.

tl;dr stop being a useless fucking greyshit.
So then you agree, that if someone is a useless greyshit as an assistant, making them a doctor doesn't fix the problem?

Furthermore, do you really think that someone is going to not just go and make the fart circus game show just because they are forced to be a doctor?
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86266

I can't fix shitty people, I can only get rid of them. Them being more visible and likely to be complained about because they're being a twat as a scientist makes it easier to remove them.

There's also the odd chance that them having to choose from a job means they might actually do something productive in the round before going and fucking off to his maint fort.
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86267

Saegrimr wrote:I can't fix shitty people, I can only get rid of them. Them being more visible and likely to be complained about because they're being a twat as a scientist makes it easier to remove them.

There's also the odd chance that them having to choose from a job means they might actually do something productive in the round before going and fucking off to his maint fort.
Fucking off to his maint fort with half the department in his backpack*
An assistant trying to steal all the surgical equipment and a nurse outfit is way more visible than a doctor doing it. Just saying.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #86268

At worst, an Assistant forced into, say, Engineering, will 'accidentally' release the singularity, with the claim that 'I don't usually play Engineering so it was an accident honest'.

Just putting that one out there.
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86269

TheNightingale wrote:At worst, an Assistant forced into, say, Engineering, will 'accidentally' release the singularity, with the claim that 'I don't usually play Engineering so it was an accident honest'.

Just putting that one out there.
Basically my point.
Thing is too, I have 0 clue how to set up the singulo so I am either going to try and fail, or I am going to fuck off and do my own thing while the other wrench jockeys do the work. Probably stealing some sheet metal for my personal doomsday bunker/snack stash or something else equally useless.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86270

I'll be sure to keep you on the watch list for singulooses.
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86272

Saegrimr wrote:I'll be sure to keep you on the watch list for singulooses.
Your missing the point of my post completely.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #86273

Saegrimr wrote:If this server didn't have a history of legitimately awful assistants and a policy of being too "nice" to just straight ban them but instead give them nine more chances at being turbo bad, it wouldn't be this way.
So the solution to shitty Assistants is to not let them be Assistants, but instead spread them out into jobs with real access and make them harder to identify?

Has this actually worked or what. Like sure, maybe pressuring a player into learning [whatever the fuck job] by forcing him into it mmmmmight work, but a griefer that making Assistants limited seems to address isn't going to magically become less of a shit just because he has a job.

And if the solution is 'oh hey, we'll just effectively serverban them by making them jobbanned from literally everything' why the fuck not just, you know, fucking regular-ban them?
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #86274

I think the idea is that, once they have responsibilities and consequences for not doing them, they'll be less likely to fuck off and dick around. I'm honestly on the fence about the whole idea, but I understand the logic behind it.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86278

chesquatt wrote:Your missing the point of my post completely.
Yeah probably.
Balut wrote:So the solution to shitty Assistants is to not let them be Assistants, but instead spread them out into jobs with real access and make them harder to identify?
No, the solution would to just be server ban them on the spot, but i'm the only one who thinks that way on the admin team. So you get this stupid hacky bullshit as a middle ground to curb the tide a bit.
On a side note, its not preventing people from being assistants, there is just a hard cap of 10 (I think it was 10) assistants at roundstart and only opens up more if the rest of the jobs are filled up.
Balut wrote:Has this actually worked or what. Like sure, maybe pressuring a player into learning [whatever the fuck job] by forcing him into it mmmmmight work,
Among other things happening on the server its hard to pin what has toned down the greytiding, but this might be one of them.
Balut wrote:but a griefer that making Assistants limited seems to address isn't going to magically become less of a shit just because he has a job.
He'll likely just get banned anyway no matter what job he's in. This is more focused on the people who have been here for years to do nothing but fuck around and greytide.
Balut wrote:And if the solution is 'oh hey, we'll just effectively serverban them by making them jobbanned from literally everything' why the fuck not just, you know, fucking regular-ban them?
That's what I'd rather see.
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86280

EndgamerAzari wrote:I think the idea is that, once they have responsibilities and consequences for not doing them, they'll be less likely to fuck off and dick around. I'm honestly on the fence about the whole idea, but I understand the logic behind it.
You can really, really easily go to the HOP and ask him to remove your job though. Maybe not change it to assistant. Maybe make a special job for you call assisstant or something clever. I see that logic, but I don't see anyone realistically actually reforming or abiding by it.
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #86281

It was originally put in as a way to stop half the server getting stuck with half-assistant crews if we implemented server population caps. The original asscap was a bit more relaxed at 5 assistants.

SoS later tightened the asscap to 3 for reasons being mentioned here.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86283

Ikarrus wrote:It was originally put in as a way to stop half the server becoming assistants if we implemented server caps.
Sorry, explain?
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #86284

We have population caps now.

If too many players join, no more are permitted to join until someone dies.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
chesquatt

Post by chesquatt » #86286

Ikarrus wrote:We have population caps now.

If too many players join, no more are permitted to join until someone dies.
Bummer.
Still not sure why that would drive droves of people to assistant?
Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #86288

I remember the good ol' days where there were literally around 15 assistants spawning in primary tool storage at once all wearing grey and getting to the toolbelt/multitools/the coin for insuls first was an art
gave the term grey tide real meaning
it was pretty awful

that being said, sometimes we could use more assistant slots, especially on high-pop sybil. nothing extreme, but more would be good
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #86289

Its not that it drove people towards assistant, its that if The Regulars all took up 30 assistant slots, that left significantly less actual jobs for people who wanted to play those jobs.

Not that forcing the greyshirts into those jobs would give them a better chance at the job, but it would give that job a better chance of actually being done.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #86296

chesquatt wrote:You can really, really easily go to the HOP and ask him to remove your job though. Maybe not change it to assistant. Maybe make a special job for you call assisstant or something clever. I see that logic, but I don't see anyone realistically actually reforming or abiding by it.
That's like 7-8 minutes of waiting in line though. I haven't been playing on /tg/station lately, but as I recall rounds here are routinely already shuttling off around the hour mark - and the last couple times I've played (relatively recently, a few weeks or so) were basically back to back rounds over in like ~30 minutes (there were a lot of Nuke Ops and a few Wizards in there, though).
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/