Give Silicons a Particle Accelerator warning alarm

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Give Silicons a Particle Accelerator warning alarm

Post by Tunder » #90618

Early SIngularity releases are quickly becoming a staple, and it is currently far too easy for an antag Engineer to wreak total and utter devastation with no molestation whatsoever. I myself am among the people who often do this.

I feel that in the spirit of fun and the desire for good and balanced rounds, the AI and silicons should get a warning message when the PA controls are tampered with and/or the Singularity Field emitters are operated.

Thoughts?
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Re: Give Silicons a Particle Accelerator warning alarm

Post by Xhuis » #90625

This would make singularity sabotage essentially impossible without risking your own life. I'm not entirely sure I support this, but I also think it's a potentially good idea.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #90633

Add the warning to a wire on the console. If the wire is cut, then no announcement is made.
Something like that?
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #90640

Is it really so hard for the AI or an engineer to just walk over to containment once every 5 minutes and look to make sure no one's sabotaged it?

i mean this is always a thing that engineers/AIs should have been doing, they just for whatever reason seem to have gotten less vigilant about it.

I don't think anyone is really gonna support a buff to AI's ability to catch antags in the act, as they're kind of already overpowered as hell in that regard.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #90644

Incoming's correct, we should be encouraging engineers, the silicons and maybe the captain to keep a semi-regular eye on the singularity on their own accord instead of having automated systems for that.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #90649

Fuck no. The last thing the AI needs is more automated alarms.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #90662

You do not need a PA alarm. Motion cameras in the singularity field achieves the same goal without extra code.

I, personally am against this, though. Lord Singuloth must feed. He WANTS to be free. If you do not want that to happen, set up some extra precautions around the area. Install the motion cameras yourself, or post a Sec officer inside the engine room. We already had an enclosure put in to increase the difficulty. Still, I thoroughly enjoy watching the singulo rip apart the station and play the gibbing sound when people get sucked in. I do not want to lose that event. I also enjoy trying to run away from it, and I feel extra accomplished when I do manage to get away!
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #90671

Gun Hog wrote: I, personally am against this, though. Lord Singuloth must feed. He WANTS to be free. If you do not want that to happen, set up some extra precautions around the area. Install the motion cameras yourself, or post a Sec officer inside the engine room. We already had an enclosure put in to increase the difficulty. Still, I thoroughly enjoy watching the singulo rip apart the station and play the gibbing sound when people get sucked in. I do not want to lose that event. I also enjoy trying to run away from it, and I feel extra accomplished when I do manage to get away!
But I love it to, and I am one of the people most likely to release it. The problem I fear is that Singuloth is becoming a cheap whore, accessible by anyone with a space suit and tools. There should be more challenge to releasing the Lord.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #90675

This is just making the AI more effective against antags. People need to actually learn and pay attention when they setup the singulo.

Against.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #90678

Tunder wrote:
Gun Hog wrote: I, personally am against this, though. Lord Singuloth must feed. He WANTS to be free. If you do not want that to happen, set up some extra precautions around the area. Install the motion cameras yourself, or post a Sec officer inside the engine room. We already had an enclosure put in to increase the difficulty. Still, I thoroughly enjoy watching the singulo rip apart the station and play the gibbing sound when people get sucked in. I do not want to lose that event. I also enjoy trying to run away from it, and I feel extra accomplished when I do manage to get away!
But I love it to, and I am one of the people most likely to release it. The problem I fear is that Singuloth is becoming a cheap whore, accessible by anyone with a space suit and tools. There should be more challenge to releasing the Lord.
This is likely due to a bug that is known.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #90705

bandit wrote:
Tunder wrote:
This is likely due to a bug that is known.
Well aware of the bug, I play Engi regularly. I'm talking about Singuloth getting released by an Engi antag almost every time we have one, now.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #90712

bandit wrote:Fuck no. The last thing the AI needs is more automated alarms.
Basically this. In theory this is an innocent idea, but in practice this will just cause heartache. If you really want something kind of like this, upgrade the camera in the PA room with a proximity sensor.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #90741

Hell no. Just manual it - proximity sensors, motion cams, the odd sweep.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #90764

The sprite states for the PA power are stinking obvious as it stands.

But the main issue around singularity release is less the PA, and more the failure of emitters/generators from power loss, either as the collectors run out of plasma, or the SMES/collectors not being setup correctly in the first place. Are there any collected stats on the reasons for engine failure?
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #90780

I don't support this because silicons already have to much anti anag easymodo.

On the other hand, the singulo getting out, either due to antags or retards, DOES happen a lot, and is frankly pretty shit since it just destroys the station and ends the round.

Seriously, can we just get a round start supermatter engine?

It can still cause havoc and make a big ass boom, but if it overloads it doesnt just fuck the entire round up.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #90841

Tunder wrote:Early SIngularity releases are quickly becoming a staple...

...Thoughts?
You are literally years late to this being a big issue. Don't encourage lazy engineering. Check the PA every so often 2552.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #90848

invisty wrote:The sprite states for the PA power are stinking obvious as it stands.

But the main issue around singularity release is less the PA, and more the failure of emitters/generators from power loss, either as the collectors run out of plasma, or the SMES/collectors not being setup correctly in the first place. Are there any collected stats on the reasons for engine failure?
From what I can tell, when the SMES are improperly done, and both Input and Output are maximized, even if the SMES power storage is full, it creates gaps in the power grid. Maximizing Input and limiting Output to below 180,000 watts seems to solve the issue of random containment failure.

callanrockslol wrote:
Tunder wrote:Early SIngularity releases are quickly becoming a staple...

...Thoughts?
You are literally years late to this being a big issue. Don't encourage lazy engineering. Check the PA every so often 2552.
And just like clockwork, as we lose experienced players and have to deal with new unrobust ones, the issue will come up whenever the status quo means you can walk up, max the PA, and release the singularity without molestation at will. It happens a lot right now, which is why I brought this up to begin with. There needs to be some stopgap measure to prevent every round being a Singularity round, besides 'git gud'.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #90975

If engineering (or anyone) cared even the slightest, it takes literally 2 SECONDS to make the camera in there motion sensitive.
Bam, now every silicon on station gets an alert if someone goes near the damn thing.
Blonkz
Byond Username: Blonkz

Post by Blonkz » #91253

You people need to decide if you want silicones to be

impotent dicksucking slaves

or

all capable omnipotent monsters

Before thats decided stop messing with shit.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #92377

How about we give engineering a particle accelerator warning alarm? Like, display its status on the station alert consoles?
Remove the AI.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #92389

do many people use the station alert consoles? also, why go into engineering and check the alerts console but not the PA?
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #92395

420weedscopes wrote:do many people use the station alert consoles? also, why go into engineering and check the alerts console but not the PA?
I don't know if people other than me use the alert consoles. The idea is to make the PA status checkable in several places you might happen to be, instead of necessarily having to go to the PA room and look at it. You can check alert consoles from the bridge, from atmos, etc. (This in turn encourages checking the alert consoles more often.)

The idea is also to avoid having yet another function that the damn silicons are better at than any of the actual crew.
Remove the AI.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #92557

rockpecker wrote:How about we give engineering a particle accelerator warning alarm? Like, display its status on the station alert consoles?
Motions camera alerts show up on the alert consoles already
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕