Away Missions 2.0 (Now with feature creep in the last post)

A place to record your ideas for the game.

How should the map be structured?

Original Idea (desert with various rocky outcrops that you mine). A single, extra large Z level, sprawling and random
20%
Original Idea but mining is still on the asteroid
13%
Three Z version (two deserts/forests/whatever separated by an underground dungeon, where mining takes place)
47%
Mountain Idea ("asteroid" placed in the corner of the map with the station base outside it, rest of map is sprawling and random). A single, extra large z level
20%

Total votes: 15

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Away Missions 2.0/Migrants/Mining Design Document

Post by onleavedontatme » #92066

Bottom post of the previous page:

256x256 (current)

500x500

1000x1000. The max, and obviously far too large.

onleavedontatme

Re: Away Missions 2.0/Migrants/Mining Design Document

Post by onleavedontatme » #92067

Another alternative to sizing is having three Z levels (though not necessarily full sized.)

The station would have one Z level to the south, and the migrants their own area to the north.

At the north of the stations Z level there would be a big wall/mountain range/whatever, with an entrance to a third, underground Z level. Hopefully someone (Ausops) can make a suitably imposing cave entrance. (Migrants enter it from the southern edge of their map).

Underground would be full of rocks or whatever. Would essentially be the asteroid. Could require environmental protection down here (too hot?) as well so that rigs are still needed. Where the ladder leads to could be randomized every round so you don't know where the ladder up to the migrant side is.

Here is a beautiful picture I made

And an ugly mockup

This might be suffering a bit from feature creep. I think it's doable though, especially if WJ and Sticky are going to map, and Xhuis is doing the boss thing. Plus the code for the underground is already done (asteroid). The question is more if people will tolerate such a big change to the gameplay structure than whether it can be created.

Anyway hopefully this addresses the following concerns

-Don't want mining to go away. Will still exist basically the same, other than its location in the fluff.
-Want the possibility of open planets (swamps, etc), which can now fit on aboveground. Long term the migrant Z level and station Z level could be different biomes.
-Migrants too easy to rush
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Away Missions 2.0 (Now with feature creep in the last po

Post by Remie Richards » #92071

Your diagram is terrible, the mountain would fall down blocking the hole! physics!
Seriously though, this 3 Z idea is neat.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #92078

Bigger is not always better, but at the very least we have more than enough room for whatever we want to do and size is not a real constraint.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #92082

Dungeon Z would be an ideal excuse for xenoarcheology.

Xenoarchaeology is an ideal excuse for Vendigroth style.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Sabbat
Byond Username: Sabbat

Post by Sabbat » #92090

Away missions are terrible.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #92092

I just don't think something of this scale and complexity could fit in SS13. Me and Sticky discussed this when we were making concepts for bosses, and there are a few key limiting factors. The first and foremost is the nature of the game itself - huge boss fights and stuff aren't really possible because there isn't any real loot that could be given without making people want to steal it, and there's enough world-ending stuff like supermatters and singularities that the boss fights can easily be made trivial by someone with the right gear. Second is BYOND limitations. I've noticed that the BYOND language is actually really flexible, and people have done some incredible things with it, but something on this scale within the already-existing game might be impossible.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #94616

Ugly work in progress of the migrant base lay out. I got distracted by working on various random things like ZAWARUDO but I wanted to throw this up/my ideas around it before I went on vacation for the week.

Mechanically:

-Migrants "spawn" by waking up out of sleepers
-Has an engine room (the runes, I'll explain in a minute) which powers the ship/is worth it for science to steal. Feed it plasma to spawn more migrants (need power to wake them from deep sleep). Maybe unlock extra areas or functions of the ship if you feed it enough.
-Has medical room that will have a surgery table, maybe some cryo cells or other basic healing
-Room with the fabricators will have smelting machine/crafting area (to build tools to fight the monsters, and to build environmental protection to pass through the mining area)
-Ship is in a little cave with a chokepoint so its not just covered in random monsters constantly

DEEP LORE:

A crashed space ship taken over by the locals, who previously eked out miserable existences in the harsh environment before the ship fell from the sky. They worship the engine/consider the whole thing holy ground. Due to a lack of resources, the majority of the tribe will stay in sleepers for long periods of time while the priesthood "maintains" the engine by scribbling all over it (and feeding it plasma)

With the arrival of NT's mining operation, and seeing the lights of their craft moving in the sky at night, they believe their deities/rival deities/something else supernatural is going on, and wake up the whole tribe to go on a pilgrimage/holy crusade etc.

ALT LORE:

A crashed syndicate/pirate/mercenary ship shot down decades ago (or longer), the commandos inside are prepared to continue their war regardless of what year it is (or maybe they just want out). Same deal about them all being asleep awaiting rescue until now.

ALT ALT LORE:

It was an actual colony/migrant ship that got stranded. Same deal about them all being asleep awaiting rescue until now.

ALT ALT ALT LORE Fallout knockoff

It was a ship staffed solely by an insane man and clones of himself

It'd probably be possible to rotate the "flavor" of migrants, but as should be obvious from the length of words dedicated to each lore bit, I'm most attached to a bunch of holy crusaders shouting "GOD WILLS IT" as they get eaten by carp.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #94661

I love the idea of the last one. Them all having the same random name and a number

"Bruce Freeman (532) says, "Bruce Freeman (341) hit me with a sword!""
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕