Reinforcements

A place to record your ideas for the game.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Reinforcements

Post by peoplearestrange » #101697

So very occasionally there's a situation where the main antag has been killed an Mulligans kicks in, or the antags are dead but most of the station is intact.
In this situations there can be often a lot of ghosts left waiting and the shuttle invariably gets called so the round can end and restart.

But instead of this why not have a locker room on central that can be used to send "Fresh staff".

They could start in a bunk room, select gear for their job or be assigned gear/job by a central staff member. They then take the small ferry to the station and can fill in the blank job openings.

This way we bring new characters into the round, people aren't left out and it works as a nice simple roleplay as well.

Thoughts etc?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Reinforcements

Post by TheNightingale » #101699

I like it. An admin button only, a random event, or a player-done thing? Either way, it's a way for ghosts to get into the round, so it sounds great in my books. There might be a few meta problems though - arresting the guy who killed you, for example. How would appearances and names be done? A magic mirror in the room, perhaps?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #101703

I think quite often when the main antags are dead and the round has continued a lot of people just want to evacuate, get back to roundstart, and begin fresh with their old characters.

Being able to play the midgame again but without any antags isn't actually that interesting once you've done it a few times, but if you just spawn a bunch of antags in with these reinforcements then you have a different problem: the crew has won, but you're not allowing them to claim victory.

I think it's more satisfying to just end the round after all antags have been defeated and allow a satisfying conclusion instead of dragging things out. I may be in the minority, that's just my view.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #101817

we're getting closer and closer to just having respawn enabled.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #101818

Honestly I see no functional difference.

Please no.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #101820

If a lot of people are dead, and the antags are dead, and the shuttle has not been called then just force call the shuttle as the admin and get the round over with.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #101823

There are two many goals and directions. Some people are calling more more lethal rounds, others want longer rounds to get their jobs done, etc. We need to decide, here and now. Do we want longer, or shorter rounds? We cannot adjust balance accordingly until we know what we want.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #101825

Here we go.

Personally I would like shorter rounds, 30 to 45 minutes is my personal avocation.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #101826

Mid to high, 45 minute being high.

I hate people who have no fucking clue what's going on recalling the shuttle, Eat shit and die in agony, surrounded by every girl you ever thought was high laughing at your tiny penis.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #101829

Longer rounds, 90 minutes to 2 hours with more lethality.

I really can't stand the "reset button" mentality, people who want to have the game fix the station/crew instead of working to keep things running themselves. Space station 13 only stays fresh because of emergent gameplay situations, and if you're constantly returning the station to its initial state these situations will not develop.

You find the antags, you fight the antags, you beat the antags, you fight what comes next, you don't go home until you're utterly broken as a station.

Too many times I don't even see people fight the antags, how telling it is that we keep having to figure out excuse mechanics for antags to be able to recall the shuttle because so many would rather run from the conflict than you know, PLAY THE GAME.

---

That said on this idea it's alright, I intended for mulligan to have more things that involved ghosts so this wouldn't be an issue, but after datum based antags mulligan won't exist in the form it does now. On the other hand we have SO many ways back into the round these days, I don't know how necessary it really is to have another.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #101842

I don't want 'longer rounds' or 'shorter rounds'. I want both, and I think the current balance is fine. I want to be able to win some rounds, and I don't want to feel they all last too long, but I don't want them to all be over quickly.

The implication of a question like 'longer or shorter' is that nobody thinks the current situation is satisfactory, which just isn't right.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #101846

Everyone will say longer rounds but those are literally only fun for a select few people and jobs

For anyone not building something/science, over 45 minutes it starts to just be like "When will it end?"
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #101869

I agree that longer rounds have to have something to do in them. There's something shit about being 40 minutes in with only really quiet antags.

But a long round can be fantastic if there has been something for the crew to do, and if everyone's in some way involved with it. Mostly in team antag modes, to be clear, is where you're going to find that sort of stuff.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #101899

Cheimon wrote:I don't want 'longer rounds' or 'shorter rounds'. I want both, and I think the current balance is fine. I want to be able to win some rounds, and I don't want to feel they all last too long, but I don't want them to all be over quickly.

The implication of a question like 'longer or shorter' is that nobody thinks the current situation is satisfactory, which just isn't right.
Supporting this - if we have a push towards a more deadly SS13 in the code then I'd like more of the sort of respawn mechanics where you change character just so it's still possible to pull a round together after some guy eswords + spaces half the station without deadchat getting salty af for an hour.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #102823

Well we have a fucking gateway, Why not use that more on longer rounds.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #102895

The only reason we have this problem is because the average round lasts for almost an hour, with hour plus rounds being common.

If we had shorter rounds this would not be a problem.