Throwing your stun baton?(Closed, due to new info)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Throwing your stun baton?(Closed, due to new info)

Post by Falamazeer » #102508

Edit:Due to unforseen issues with throw, this is actually a bad idea, apparently the animation for the item moving is processed as an afterthought, meaning you wouldn't have a real chance to dodge it in action unless you were already mobile and furiously running about, this makes a single throw stun very OP, while this is hard to abuse with things like hatchets and floor tiles as you have to hit multiple times, doing this with a one hit stun would cause more issues than the hilarity would be worth. Poll closed.

I've brought this up a few times over the years, Wouldn't it be neat if throwing your stun baton at someone activated it?
It'd be good for a clutch last ditch effort, and be decently balanced by the very good possibility that you miss and now have nothing and might have further armed your target.

All reasoning aside, c'mon, you know this would make the stories of awesome thread and the stories of rage tears and regret threads funnier.
Last edited by Falamazeer on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Throwing your stun baton?

Post by DemonFiren » #102512

I know throwing batons used to be a thing on Bay, and I know that one Bay lizard ranking high in the jerking circles was rather infamous for their use.

Those were somewhat amusing, but now they only have a fifty per cent chance of zapping the target.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #102513

Daily reminder that throwing is instant
Daily reminder that there's no counter for melee with stunbaton. Shields don't block it, nothing does, energy armor reduces stun though.
Daily reminder that while you can dodge a projectile, you can't dodge thrown objects the same way
Daily reminder that this is literally baystation because that's what happens in baystation atleast when I played.
Daily reminder this is just making people armed with stunprods/stunbatons have the same combat ability as a guy with a taser
Daily reminder that nukeop eshield = no taser, but if this happens you just throw a baton at them, and it's gg.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #102518

kevinz000 wrote: Daily reminder this is just making people armed with stunprods/stunbatons have the same combat ability as a guy with a taser
You mean like a one shot taser with a 50% chance to hit?
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #102519

kevinz000 wrote:Daily reminder that throwing is instant
Daily reminder that there's no counter for melee with stunbaton. Shields don't block it, nothing does, energy armor reduces stun though.
Daily reminder that while you can dodge a projectile, you can't dodge thrown objects the same way
Daily reminder that this is literally baystation because that's what happens in baystation atleast when I played.
Daily reminder this is just making people armed with stunprods/stunbatons have the same combat ability as a guy with a taser
Daily reminder that nukeop eshield = no taser, but if this happens you just throw a baton at them, and it's gg.
Daily reminder that having throw on when someone throws something at you will make you catch it

It's a good idea, worth having for sure
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #102520

Making it 50% rng sounds a little lame really, you're already taking a big risk even trying it.

And I never said this should work with prods, This would be a single advantage to distinguish them

have you ever TRIED to kill someone with floortiles? it's damn hard, so no, throw isn't really all that tough.

Besides, you could probably defend yourself by catching it, then you're double-fucked

And if you don't want it working on nuke-op shields, then don't let it, duh
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #102544

Make it 50% catch chance
You might catch it at the wrong end
Zap.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #102548

Tiles do around ten brute damage per tile, I think, so you have to consecutivly hit someone ten times to crit them. If your able to do that against a antagonist then more power to you.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #102563

How can throwing be instant when thrown objects travel through space and in the case of non randomized entry/exits of space can loop around and hit you in the face latter in time?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #102569

Its an illusion, last time it was explained the object is predestined to hit somewhere specific and the animation occurs as a afterthought.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #102595

i have a strong suspicion that this would be really, really powerful simply due to the nature of throwing vs every other projectile, but at the same time there are definitely strong cons to go with the pros (you're literally tossing the enemy your weapon)

voting for abstinence :honk: because i can't really tell in my head if this would be really powerful/entirely underused
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #102640

I was unaware of the limitations of throw, My apologies, Still, if this were somehow reworked, it would be hilarious.
Maybe some day. maybe some day.