Skill Stats

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should we GIT GUD?

Yes - GIT GUD
12%
No - I AM "GUD"
77%
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK
12%

Total votes: 26

srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Skill Stats

Post by srifenbyxp » #107219

I figure we incorporate skill stats into the game to make even the most useless of jobs matter more and ensures that the clown who happens to have no robotic engineering background whatsoever somehow has the knowledge to make a Durand or an assistant performing brain surgery. Of course depending on the job selected that starting job will have a considerable amount of experience towards their starting job along with a bit of extra experience on the side to spend so that job change doesn't flop. I'm assuming the Experience UI can be like spending TC except it's spending EXP and will be on a 0 to 100 skill level.

The amount of experience will either make the skill-action taken either succeed or fail but has the chance that someone inexperience manages to perform a skill-action they would completed the action at a slower rate, or if they fuck up bad enough might even break the machine/tool/food. But this also give the chance some one more skilled in a field manages to do a skill-action they have the slim chance of completing the action faster. Dying to the point where you have to be cloned or taking brain damage has a chance to very slightly reduce learned EXP. EXP can be earned by performing actions categorized towards that skill or reading a book.

I like this formula because retards has to actually GIT GUD .

Skills

Weaponry
[Guns misfire and that total shitler using makeshift weapons might randomly shock himself with that stun stick without insulated gloves]
Investigation
[determines how many digits the retard can read when using the scanner along noticing any type of fabric if any]

Construction
Advance Construction
Atmospheric Mixture [shit doesn't go spontaneously ka-booom]

Researching [reliability plus/minus factor]
Robo-Engineering
Xenobiology [slimes will less likely maul you to genetic death]

Medicine
Surgery
Chemistry [Shit doesn't somehow spontaneously combust]
Genetics [finger slipped changing the settings]
Virology [shit doesn't spontaneously combust viruses]

Business
[Cargo be getting them points faster and if we ever get to actually use money this can also be a plus]
Mining

Cleaning
Cooking
Growing
Bartending

Honk
[Honk related stuff make's things more fun, especially when using a honk mech]
Scribing
[The Librarian is actually useful at round start, he/she/it can make beginner/intermediate/advance books in any field of skill. Once a player has read a particular book his/her/it's skill is slightly increased and that book they've read is no longer useful which they must read another. Player's skill level has to be within or lesser skill ratio to ensure some dumbass can't figure out how -quantum physics-]
Piety
Maybe god might actually care

Needless to say Heads of a varying department will always start with at least one or two Expert Rating and the rest in the related field a Good Rating, starting minions will always start with one or two a Good rating along with the rest in the related field Average Rating. Assistants always start out with randomized Terrible and Bad skill rating with the slim chance of getting a higher rating skill. Any other skills not related to at related field will be RNG'd Terrible through Average. As for the Captain, all skills will be RNG'd within the Average Rating, he shouldn't be doing everything himself anyways.
Skill Ratio Rating:
0 - 20 : Terrible

20 - 40 : Bad

40 - 60 : Average

60 - 80 : Good

80 - 100 : Expert
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Skill Stats

Post by Scones » #107220

its been discussed in the past (at least with me) and i think its against the core design we currently have of "when it all comes down to it everyone is equal"

at the same time i kind of like it

lifeweb's system is useless -> unskilled -> skilled -> master -> legendary
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #107221

I am guilty of playing the rape train simulator lifeweb as well.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #107223

different games, different systems
ss13 is supposed to be fast-paced, chaotic, even gameplay. i like to look at it as an arcade-like rpg or something.
to clarify, im trying to say the system would not be good for the game
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #107227

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #107243

Bay has this. We do not need to have "*BWOINK* Are you sure you know how to use a microwave?" or a near 100% burn chance on food you are trying to make. Skill systems are not compatible with our intended playstyle.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #107254

Being able to do more with the same set of tools as everyone else is the very definition of getting good, and a big part of what this game is. Adding something like this would essentially turn this into something else entirely.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #107259

No.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #107273

The only way I could see any kind of skill system work if it doesn't restrict people from doing what they can already do currently. That also means no RNG "your gun misfires!"

For example, anyone could still hack a door the traditional way, but someone who started off as an engineer already has the door wires written down for them in their notes or has the wire colors translated in the hacking interface for them. Same concept could be applied to any job on the station, you start off with a small perk tied to your starting occupation and could pick up additional perks from spending a few minutes in the library.
Last edited by Reimoo on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scones

Post by Scones » #107275

It basically makes things like MD and Engineer worth playing because they are objectively better at the job by virtue of mechanics, instead of the inverse being true due to Greyshirt McGrief having played for a decade

But it's not right for /tg/station. Would be interesting as the premise for a new fork.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #107287

Reimoo wrote:The only way I could see any kind of skill system work if it doesn't restrict people from doing what they can already do currently. That also means no RNG "your gun misfires!"
Compare and contrast: GTA San Andreas.

Did anyone actually enjoy "lol your car randomly span out because skill too low regardless of what you're doing with the controls"?
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #107292

We don't need the worst part of lifeweb.
DemonFiren wrote:No.
lol
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #107294

Reimoo wrote:The only way I could see any kind of skill system work if it doesn't restrict people from doing what they can already do currently. That also means no RNG "your gun misfires!"

For example, anyone could still hack a door the traditional way, but someone who started off as an engineer already has the door wires written down for them in their notes or has the wire colors translated in the hacking interface for them. Same concept could be applied to any job on the station, you start off with a small perk tied to your starting occupation and could pick up additional perks from spending a few minutes in the library.
Essentially this, even if its something like a chance an MD's bruise pack healing for slightly more than someone else, engineer taking one less second to de/construct a wall. Its a change that would benefit playing a role without hindering others (THE IMPORTANT PART). The other issue here is the difference would be so inconsequential why even make the change at all?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #107309

An idea I had awhile back was to make it so engineers knew all the wires on everything while everyone else had to learn them mid-round. I can't really think of something similar to give to the other jobs, though, so I dunno.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #107331

I think Baystation's skill system is a pure role play thing that has no actual mechanical effect in game, its just meant as a guideline in helping you build your character and to what standards your character would play, meaning it would make sense for a security officer to know how to operate heavy weaponry but have no skills in preforming open heart surgery.

I agree with what Scone's said, I think the core idea is interesting and worth looking into but I don't think it would mesh well with /tg/station.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #107335

I actually coded the "Engineers know wires of important machines (Doors, APC, etc) at roundstart" thing, we had it on NT.
私は完璧
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #107346

Alright, we could do it like this

Based on how many rounds you play as a job (This will be tracked)
You will gain experience points across rounds, as the job your doing, but only if at round start you are selected to play that job.

IE: I start out, click ready, spawn in as a security officer, starting out as a unexpierenced officer.
I play 30-40 rounds over the next few months as a sec officer, eventually becoming a expert.
Then, i ready up, and join in round start as a engineer.
The skills i learned as a experienced sec officer from playing as the sec officer doesn't carry over if i play a different job besides sec officer at round start.

It would be broke up into 2 sections
Job Skills and Personal Skills

Job skills are listed above, where its based on what job you have at round start, and how many rounds you have as the job.
Personal skills work like this:

Every person can select 1 expert skill, 2 moderate skills, and 4 novice skills at round start.

So lets say i'm a medical doctor, but back in the summer o' fiddy five, i used to be a space marine. So i would be a expert at combat for the one expert point i get in Personal Skill, and then having a knowledge of medical procedures from my time being a medical doctor, that knowledge of course, being scaled to how many rounds i played.

So of course, you can have a clown who is a washed up NT Intelligence Officer, and some how knows how to work a durand.
Or a sec officer, who happens to have used to be in a Nanotrasen Black Ops unit, has a bunch of scars, a eye patch, and constantly smokes cigars, and sports a turtle neck.

This is a 'ok' idea, but for gods sakes, don't make it RP oriented for when you spawn in as a robotcist and want to go build a autism fort, then get this:
ADMINSTRATOR PRIVATE MESSAGE
hey u, acording to ur skills, u dun know how to build wallz
YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED
Reason: u not know how 2 build wall, fail arrpeeeurrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tg is a light to moderate RP server, not a heavy rp server, i will personally kick your teeth in if you try to make it a moderate to heavy or heavy rp server. Don't make me have to.
Last edited by John_Oxford on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Scones

Post by Scones » #107347

"oxford posting" might as well become a meme at this point
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #107348

Scones wrote:"oxford posting" might as well become a meme at this point
what, are you not in love with the top of the line classy entertainment?
don't make me break out the box of cigars, i will lecture you untill you fucking die, watch me.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #107349

John_Oxford wrote:Tg is a light to moderate RP server
Hahaha, don't fucking kid yourself.
If it weren't for the rules on the OOC/IC divide and metagaming, we'd be full on NoX.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #107375

are his posts ever worth reading.
they're always dumb bs rambling
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #107377

Steelpoint wrote:I think Baystation's skill system is a pure role play thing that has no actual mechanical effect in game, its just meant as a guideline in helping you build your character and to what standards your character would play, meaning it would make sense for a security officer to know how to operate heavy weaponry but have no skills in preforming open heart surgery.

I agree with what Scone's said, I think the core idea is interesting and worth looking into but I don't think it would mesh well with /tg/station.
Pretty much. Some bay forks don't even use it as a game mechanic for admins to look at, it's just "HEY, PLAYERS, CLICK THESE BUTTONS LIKE IT'S A QUESTIONNAIRE AND FIND OUT IF YOUR CHARACTER IS A MARY SUE SNOWFLAKE PIECE OF SHIT"
Fr05tByt3
Byond Username: Fr05tByt3

Post by Fr05tByt3 » #107380

Remie Richards wrote:I actually coded the "Engineers know wires of important machines (Doors, APC, etc) at roundstart" thing, we had it on NT.
I really like this.

Start with perks for engies, add more as good ideas become available.

I also really like docs being able to heal for more based on RNG.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #107487

No.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy