Unique Gun Names

A place to record your ideas for the game.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Unique Gun Names

Post by firecage » #117006

Currently I am busy with a PR to move away from generic gun names, and I have decided to do it for energy weapons aswell. I mainly made this threat to both ask for suggestions for the names of the guns, and so people know that the gun names will be changed.

Currently changed named:

Syndicate Pistol -> Stetchkin pistol

prototype SMG -> NanoTrasen Saber SMG

syndicate SMG -> C-20r SMG

uzi -> 'Type U3' Uzi

syndicate LMG -> L6 SAW LMG

syndicate Carbine -> M-90gl carbine

ARG -> NT-ARG 'Boarder'

autorevolver -> Unica 6 auto-revolver

bolt action rifle -> Mosin Nagant rifle

syndicate shotgun -> MLG-12 Bulldog shotgun

HoS energy gun -> X-01 MultiPhase Energy Gun

captains laser gun-> QSJ 01 Premium laser pistol

Guns needing new names:

pulse rifle

pulse carbine

pulse pistol

pulse destroyer
Last edited by firecage on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Unique Gun Names

Post by Steelpoint » #117008

>MLG-12 Bulldog Shotgun

Get out.

On a serious note I do support this, adds some more flavour to each gun.

For a minor suggestion when I made the HoS gun my lore on it was that it was a attempt to replicate the Captain's Antique Gun with modern technology. Prehaps a name akin to 'X-01 MultiPhase Energy Gun'
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117011

Steelpoint wrote:>MLG-12 Bulldog Shotgun

Get out.

On a serious note I do support this, adds some more flavour to each gun.

For a minor suggestion when I made the HoS gun my lore on it was that it was a attempt to replicate the Captain's Antique Gun with modern technology. Prehaps a name akin to 'X-01 MultiPhase Energy Gun'
So using that one.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #117014

Captain's Laser - QSJ 01 Premium Laser pistol
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Backstory

I based the name to the backstory and used the QS and QZ prefixes commonly found on Asian guns. This is an antique and is described to be extremely expensive to make and had automatic charging, which is a luxury since the current automatic charging guns are unreliable (advanced energy gun) or given only to the highest in command of CentComm (M1911-P).

Retro laser - Type 4407 Laser gun
Moving onto the more modern guns that don't have charging and are more price efficient, is the Retro laser gun.

4407 is a reference to R4407 of Goonstation, where a lot changed (police batons, swat helmets).

Taser gun - NTX13

Hybrid taser - NTX13-D
NT X13 Disabler edition, an upgrade of the classic X13 taser.

Taser is a copyrighted brand by Taser International, their most popular product the X26, X26C(Compact, civilian model) and X26LE (law enforcement).

Disabler - D3 Succubus
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117015

Imo I like to think of the Captain's gun as a surviving relic of a older age, before the wars that fracture humanity occur and back during humanities 'golden age'.

I think the Captain's Antique Gun should just remain named as that, put a more technical name in the description if need be but I much prefer its current name.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117016

Steelpoint? It's current name? It's current name is fucking 'laser gun', because it doesn't have its own name.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117017

My point stands.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117018

J_Madison wrote:Captain's Laser - QSJ 01 Premium Laser pistol
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Backstory

I based the name to the backstory and used the QS and QZ prefixes commonly found on Asian guns. This is an antique and is described to be extremely expensive to make and had automatic charging, which is a luxury since the current automatic charging guns are unreliable (advanced energy gun) or given only to the highest in command of CentComm (M1911-P).

Retro laser - Type 4407 Laser gun
Moving onto the more modern guns that don't have charging and are more price efficient, is the Retro laser gun.

4407 is a reference to R4407 of Goonstation, where a lot changed (police batons, swat helmets).

Taser gun - NTX13

Hybrid taser - NTX13-D

NT X13 Disabler edition, an upgrade of the classic X13 taser.

Taser is a copyrighted brand by Taser International, their most popular product the X26, X26C(Compact, civilian model) and X26LE (law enforcement).

Disabler - D3 Succubus
Okay, added those.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #117019

firecage wrote:
laser gun -> NT-2550 "Special Issue" Laser Rifle

retro laser -> (I do not have a better suggestion than J_Madison here, I really think a 4407 reference would be best)

captains laser gun -> Lunar Industries "2120 Self-Charging" Laser Handgun

scatter laser gun -> NT-2555-L "Scatter" Laser Rifle

laser cannon -> NT-2553-L "Heavy" Laser Cannon

xray laser gun -> NT-2555-PROTOTYPE X-Ray Cannon

energy gun -> NT-2555-DL Energy Rifle

advanced energy gun -> NT-2555-PROTOTYPE Nuclear Laser Rifle

pulse rifle -> NT-2550-SLP Pulse Rifle

pulse carbine -> NT-2555-P Pulse Carbine

pulse pistol -> NT-2555-P Pulse Handgun

pulse destroyer -> NT-2551-P "Destroyer" Heavy Pulse Cannon

ion rifle -> Cybersun type-451 Ion Rifle

ion carbine -> Cybersun type-30 Ion Carbine

mind flayer -> Cybersun type-0 Mind Flayer

taser gun -> NT-2548-T Taser Handgun

stun revolver -> NT-2551-T "Revolver" Taser Handgun

hybrid taser -> NT-2555-DT "Hybrid" Taser Handgun

disabler -> NT-2555-D Disabler Handgun
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #117022

letterletter number is a horrible naming convention, please don't adopt that one.
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117023

Ricotez, some of the names I like. Some of them just feels a bit ...I dunno...uncomfortable.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #117028

>lunar industries

Good movie, bad reference.

I dunno I like the simplicity of a lot of the current names. Do you really want to change things that are simple and make sense? What's wrong with Ion Rifle or Double-Barreled Shotgun?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117030

I just dislike generic names and want them to be actually unique.

Anyway, most projectile weapons used to have unique names before Paprika changed them into generic, boring, and stupid ones. Like Syndicate Pistol, Syndicate LMG, Syndicate SMG, Syndicate Carbine. I was planning to change them back to the unique ones anyway. The thing is though, most guns would them have unique names. All mech guns, both projectile and energy based, had unique names already. If most projectile guns got unique names again, for the most part only handheld energy guns would have had generic names, which woulda been stupid.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #117031

double-barreled shotgun - "Bottlepop" shotgun.
I play Boris Pepper.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #117036

Shotgun (4 round) - Breacher Model shotgun
Double barrel - Double barrel (no seriously), Coach gun
Laser gun - LMAW gun, Laser Magnified Assault weapon.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #117055

I think this has its place in RnD weapons but weapons currently on station should have their names kept the same
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #117056

All the names should make it obvious what the weapon is.
NT-ARG 'Boarder'
Is a poor name. People don't know what that means at a glance.

I would recommend you "brandify" them like many of the existing ones. In a futuristic world of hypercapitalism and occasional conflict, weapons would be less bound by the drab naming conventions of governments, and adopt a little more personality. Maybe give them flavourful titles, and not generic military designations? Perhaps, even better, have Nanotrasen use the "generic" numeral-alphanumeric designations, and then the syndicate get to have "fun" names for their weapons that don't care for the alphanumerics and just have catchy brand names. Or the other way around.

Even better, throw the visually similar weapons (by sprite artists) under the same IC corporation title, and then have them share similar naming conventions within that group.
Last edited by invisty on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mime: Depresso
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #117057

What's wrong with generic names? I'm going to call them that whatever letternumber you put in front of them.

This to me just seems to be the equivalent of the wizard event where everything gets an RPG name (the laser gun of +3 dexterity). It's not affecting how I use them, it's just cluttering up the interface. Worse still is if you remove the original name, and then the name of the gun doesn't even describe what it does (obfuscating the system for anyone new unnecessarily).

Especially okay with things being called generic rather than being named after a real gun that it doesn't resemble. You know, like stetchkins (or is that stechkin?) where the sprite doesn't reaallly seem to match the real gun.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #117058

How about if they kept the current names, but had the unique names in the examine text? Examine a SMG, for example, and it says; "The Nanotrasen Saber SMG is designed to fire powerful three-round bursts at a target at short range" or something.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #117067

Take precedent from the old names that Pap removed.

aka: Autorevolver is literally a mateba (why'd you give it some random name?)

The protolathe SMG is just a "SABR" smg. Don't tack NANOTRANSEN on the front.

For a lot of the generic guns, look at the mech equivalents, that already have names.

And above all, gotta make the names easy to say. If someone mentions a c-20, everyone knows what you're talking about.
Sticking NT-2552 onto everything however doesn't help at all.

I honestly don't think it would matter if the R&D high end shit doesn't have fancy names. The fluff is you're creating these new prototypes after all, so genericly calling it a x-ray laser gun, seems ok.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #117074

lumipharon wrote: aka: Autorevolver is literally a mateba (why'd you give it some random name?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateba_Autorevolver

It's not random.

Mateba is a company, the 'Mateba Autorevolver' is a specific gun. Bit like Stechkin, but that's another thing.

In any case, "autorevolver" is vastly more helpful to me knowing what kind of gun it is compared to "mateba". I didn't even know mateba was a gun manufacturer (well, a pasta kneading machine cum gun manufacturer) until I looked it up. Generics are good because people can see what they are without effort.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #117075

Like Nightingale said I would prefer if we kept things easy to identify and the examine text got the descriptive name instead.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #117081

I'm 100% in support of unique names.
Face it, syndicate SMG sounds boring.
C-20R with frontloaded bullpup ammo compartment and self-ejecting shells fitted with latest syndicate target tracking technology specificially delivered to our nuclear agents?
Shit nigga give me 2 holy hell I want some of that lemme go storm the station with my CEE TWENTEE ARR.
I play Boris Pepper.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #117092

Reimoo wrote:Like Nightingale said I would prefer if we kept things easy to identify and the examine text got the descriptive name instead.
This makes a lot of sense, and fits in with existing descriptions. The names should make their purpose instantly identifiable, and the description both descriptive and flavourful.

Examples:
Hybrid Taser:
this is a [icon] Hybrid Taser.
A Nanotrasen Armaments NTX13-D Hybrid Taser. Featuring multiple non-lethal firing modes and a rechargeable cell. Standard issue for Nanotrasen security.

Syndie Shotgun:
this is an [icon] Syndicate Assault Shotgun
An MLG-12 Bulldog shotgun, a lethal and versatile weapon produced by DONK Combat Solutions, it has proven very popular in Syndicate terrorist operations.

X-Ray Gun:
this is a [icon] Prototype X-Ray Gun
A Nanotrasen-derived design pattern capable of penetrating steel beams, it bears the markings: "NT-2555-PROTOTYPE X-Ray Cannon".

I think one thing is obvious: Names need to be short and to the point. No alphanumeric designations should be in the combat log.

Sorry to deviate from the OP's point. I think it's a good time to address this.
Mime: Depresso
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #117096

i'd just like to point out that "8217 TACTICOOL A.Y.Y.L.M.A.O. VERB-ER BODYPART DESTROYER-X29715" as the name of every single gun is actually the opposite of unique
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #117099

invisty wrote:
Reimoo wrote:Like Nightingale said I would prefer if we kept things easy to identify and the examine text got the descriptive name instead.
This makes a lot of sense, and fits in with existing descriptions. The names should make their purpose instantly identifiable, and the description both descriptive and flavourful.

Examples:
Hybrid Taser:
this is a [icon] Hybrid Taser.
A Nanotrasen Armaments NTX13-D Hybrid Taser. Featuring multiple non-lethal firing modes and a rechargeable cell. Standard issue for Nanotrasen security.

Syndie Shotgun:
this is an [icon] Syndicate Assault Shotgun
An MLG-12 Bulldog shotgun, a lethal and versatile weapon produced by DONK Combat Solutions, it has proven very popular in Syndicate terrorist operations.

X-Ray Gun:
this is a [icon] Prototype X-Ray Gun
A Nanotrasen-derived design pattern capable of penetrating steel beams, it bears the markings: "NT-2555-PROTOTYPE X-Ray Cannon".

I think one thing is obvious: Names need to be short and to the point. No alphanumeric designations should be in the combat log.

Sorry to deviate from the OP's point. I think it's a good time to address this.

If anything, this.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #117112

Can we acknowledge that the syndicate pistol doesn't really look like a real stechkin?

If anything, it kinda looks like a Glock
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #117122

This makes you on the same side as BAYYYYYYYYY

Renaming station energy weapons
Damnit firecage this is what I said not to do. Nobody minds having to remember that a C20r is the syndie SMG and the L-60 is the HMG, but they do all mind that the DX-"anus prober" is the stunbaton and the DL-"overcompensator" is the HOS' laser rifle.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117136

Fine fine, the generic station guns won't be renamed, only the two special ones will be, the caps gun, and the HoS gun, since they are meant to be more unique.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #117150

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: This makes you on the same side as BAYYYYYYYYY
But this would be exactly how we have it right now, except the flavor text changes.

Everybody would see "Syndicate SMG" and still call it a syndie SMG, but on examination it gives more flavor text and anybody that cares about the stupid acronym and number combination can call it by that if they want to.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #117159

Saegrimr wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: This makes you on the same side as BAYYYYYYYYY
But this would be exactly how we have it right now, except the flavor text changes.

Everybody would see "Syndicate SMG" and still call it a syndie SMG, but on examination it gives more flavor text and anybody that cares about the stupid acronym and number combination can call it by that if they want to.
Saying this makes you on the same side as paprika (he changed all our guns to be generic in the first place)
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #117160

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Saying this makes you on the same side as paprika (he changed all our guns to be generic in the first place)
Well what the fuck do YOU want then?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #117162

Saegrimr wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Saying this makes you on the same side as paprika (he changed all our guns to be generic in the first place)
I think he might just want to shitpost in this thread.

we did it digg
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #117178

newfren wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
I think he might just want to shitpost in this thread.

we did it digg
I thought of half the names in the first place. My suggestion was (if saegrimr bothered to read threads instead of spewing bile at maximum levels all the time) that the station equipment (riot shotguns, laser rifles, etc) should keep it's old names to avoid literally everyone being confused all the time.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #117298

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:(if saegrimr bothered to read threads instead of spewing bile at maximum levels all the time)
If either of those two posts came off as maximum bile to you, might need to go get that chronic asspain checked out.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Post by Tunder » #117498

What if all guns were given model names in their examine descriptions, but are left with generic base names?

This would avoid any confusion, but it would give us the ability to use the model names in dialogue.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #117536

Tunder wrote:What if all guns were given model names in their examine descriptions, but are left with generic base names?

This would avoid any confusion, but it would give us the ability to use the model names in dialogue.
-waves-
TheNightingale, from earlier in the thread wrote:How about if they kept the current names, but had the unique names in the examine text? Examine a SMG, for example, and it says; "The Nanotrasen Saber SMG is designed to fire powerful three-round bursts at a target at short range" or something.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #117556

Tunder wrote:What if all guns were given model names in their examine descriptions, but are left with generic base names?

This is what they are like currently, and how pap made them.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Post by Tunder » #117561

lumipharon wrote:

This is what they are like currently, and how pap made them.
And what's wrong with that?

If you're all being contrarians simply because Pap did it, that's pretty infantile. The current way is better than giving each gun an autistic model name. It'll just confuse people.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #117566

No, I'm mentioning pap did it specifically because that was not how it was originally. I was against it then as well.

Having shitty names like NT-6967 "cockgobbler" rifle then another gun called NT-6769 "ButtBlaster" shotgun makes it difficult to see what gun is what, I agree.

However clearly identifiable names like:
Stetchkin
C-20
M-90
SAW

are far easier to tell apart at a glance then:
Syndicate pistol
Syndicate SMG
Syndicate carbine
Syndicate LMG
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #117717

Okay, PR is merged. Nothing to see here, move along.