[dev bounty] The big freeze.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

[dev bounty] The big freeze.

Post by J_Madison » #117274

I am currently looking for coders and spriters to work on this project and make it come to life.

This is a paid job. Being paid in cash (paypal or similar) requires a full background check.

This is only an idea draft. I am looking for feedback on what you think.

The central heating has failed, parts of the station has been rapidly cooled, several crew members are talking about feeling faintly cold and hungry, and the Mime was seen with a very pale looking lady.

Just what's going on here?

This mode makes the winter clothing and boots actually useful, it makes space heaters extremely important and forces players to work together.

All departments are involved in some way in this game mode.
Spoiler:
Against the frost kingdom:
Supply's job is to supply seeds, plasma, fuel tanks and weapons in fighting off the cold.
Security's job is to be vigilant and fight against the creatures of ice who're going to attempt to freeze parts of the station and brainwash the crew with the "cold".
Science's job is to create bigger and better batteries for space heaters, more circuits to make heaters, toxins to heat up gases, and to make the ultimate weapon - the temperature gun.
Service's job is to manufacture warm coats, cook warming foods and ensure everyone is fed (keeping yourself warm takes a lot of energy from your body, you know).
Engineering's job is to ensure the power is online, the atmospherics is fixed, and the atmosphere in the station is warmer.

For the kingdom of frost.
Supply can order more water tanks, weapons and equipment to spread water.
Security has weaponry which can be used to further weaken any resistance.
Science can create weapons to weaken the resistance, make extremely cold gas, and create the grandest weapon of them all - the temperature gun.
Service has the tools to grow food that'll rapidly cool someone down and make them easier to break, and all humans have to eat eventually.
Engineering can help make the environment even colder and shut down any power, making space heaters un-rechargable by shutting down power.
A group of players will play the kingdom of frost, and will be given time to setup for the cold, but will need to transform to gain more of their powers.
As a human, they can spread small patches of frost (which acts like alien weeds, and wet floors) and slowly freeze someone (this requires the jumpsuit slot to be empty so they can actually put their hand on their chest and channel coldness).

The Kingdom of Frost will have a group of leaders. They're functionally equivalent, but hold massive power. Crippling or killing one will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the Kingdom.

The colder you are and the hungrier you are, the more likely you'll succumb to the cold.
Hunger rates are increased in this game mode, so you can't fight off the frost legion with as little as winter coat and a space heater.

Scions to the Kingdom of Frost can make Ice based weapons, which are deadly but melt to high heat and salt - this reduces massive attrition based warfare in which the Kingdom of Frost would win.

Scions are technically ice, and take more damage from burn (laser) and brute damage, but they heal extremely quickly in the ice and will be difficult to fight without succumbing to the cold.

Ice is slippy. But melts quickly. Unfortunately this makes the floor wet. Fortunately the Scions doesn't slip and freeze the water they walk over, and they can create frost boots that freeze the water back into ice and prevent slipping.

Scion's abilities (disguised):
Spread frost.
Chilling grasp (requires intent grab Aggressive or higher, takes a while, target must be without a jumpsuit).
Transform.

Potential abilities post transformation (food and drink vending machines will no longer work):
An ability that snuffs flames, stabalises local air temperature, instantly turns airborn plasma into solid plasma.
An ability that purges cold resistant abilities and chemicals from the body.
An ability that rapidly reduces the temperature around them, making them difficult for a lone wolf to kill.
Equipment for the Pawns that protect against lasers.
Weapons for pawns that freeze the target too.
Abilities for Scions to heal and stabalise themselves or their pawns.

Pawns and Scions passively drain energy weapons of their power by picking the weapon up.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Re: [dev bounty] The big freeze.

Post by Drynwyn » #117300

watch out for snowflake code
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #117302

Being cold is extremely annoying and unfun

How do you plan to bypass the magic of robust coffee?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #117303

Scones wrote:Being cold is extremely annoying and unfun

How do you plan to bypass the magic of robust coffee?
Pawns are immune to cold and hunger.

Frost Lance/Blade fucks up hot drinks in the body.
Not so much with Leporazine or Coldresist though, but with each hit from Frost blade, Leporazine whittles away and it rolls based upon health whether or not cold resistance is purged.

Scions have a spell that purges warm content, and if there's nothing to purge, causes a nasty frostbite.

This way you can't ruin everything with Hulk and Cold resist.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #117309

Heads up for any coders or spriters interested
This guy's legit. He paid me for a job along the tune of 60 bucks. I can confirm this isn't a scam.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #117321

Do you have an actual list of sprites that are needed?
Hey.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #117323

This is a paid job.

Shut it down. Shut it down forever.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #117329

callanrockslol wrote:This is a paid job.

Why?
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #117333

iamgoofball wrote:

Why?
Drama magnet.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #117337

there is no reason that coders, as volunteers for the project, cannot accept commissions for code
whether this is a good thing and whether it should be allowed is up for debate, but as it is there's nothing stopping J_Madison from doing this, nor from any coders accepting his offer

also: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11653
if people wanna contribute, feel free to PR to my branch.
Players can and will create their own fun.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #117345

callanrockslol wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Why?
Drama magnet.
I don't see how it's a drama magnet. Care to explain?
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #117350

iamgoofball wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Why?
Drama magnet.
I don't see how it's a drama magnet. Care to explain?
If this becomes a thing later on where multiple people try to do this, there's the problem of people not paying up, whether because the code doesn't meet some arbitrary standard, the idea isn't actually as fun in practice as the guy thought it would be, or just the guy not intending to pay up in the first place. Even outside of that, there's still potential issues of people trying to force specific things into the game by paying (IE, "I'll give $100 to anyone who readds stungloves"), people pushing forward shittily done versions of the idea to try to get the cash before anyone else (And even without that, there's still going to be pressure on people taking their time to get it done more quickly), people offering to work together and then backstabbing the others to get all the cash for themselves, people not working together because of the threat of backstabbing, and people constantly changing the details of their ideas that they're paying people to make.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #117371

I'll state this now:
Like the BlackOps paid code, I have no actual reason to mind if this makes it on tg or not.

I'm not a tg admin. I own a tg branch server. Whether or not this makes it to tg is none of my concern.

Regarding stun gloves; they do exist. They were never "removed" but rather changed so it was spawn only. And all updates and changes must be merged by a Tg maintainer.

If I paid 100 to get stun gloves in, not only does the coder risk their position for a bribe, but also puts the motion vulnerable to a Democratic, Admin, Host, or Maintainer veto; this would prevent it.

And for the final time, I've every intention to pay. Goof has MGSV, MSO has had 25 off me, and I've shown coderbus financial proof that $80-$100 is nothing major to me.

I do a quick check on anyone looking to get a piece of the bounty, like I'd have concerns if Paprika jumped onto working for cash or that of a similar background.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #117372

This doesn't sound very fun but I guess as you're the one paying for it and it'll be mostly on your server you can commission people for whatever you want.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #117383

This isn't just an advert for coding. I'm keen to hear any feedback or suggestions anyone has.

I'm keen I hear what you guys think should be objectives for the frost legion; I haven't thought up of many yet, but one of them is to "freeze the nuclear fission device" which requires control of a good part of the station.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #117452

You may actually want to take some cues from lifeweb.

Although I'm not incredibly familiar with the game, playing lifeweb involved trying to make myself, not wet, trying to be near a light source!!, trying to get food etc. all those environmental things that you seem to be focusing on. It's worth noting that it only really got away with that because it was incredibly sparse and what methods you had to deal with those environmental issues was rather primitive and unreliable.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #117500

imblyings wrote:You may actually want to take some cues from lifeweb.

Although I'm not incredibly familiar with the game, playing lifeweb involved trying to make myself, not wet, trying to be near a light source!!, trying to get food etc. all those environmental things that you seem to be focusing on. It's worth noting that it only really got away with that because it was incredibly sparse and what methods you had to deal with those environmental issues was rather primitive and unreliable.
Eh. I would think about that if it wasn't for the bad taste lifeweb left in my mouth.

My first lifeweb round went as follows:
"J"
what
"j lets go rape that kid, grab a torch and follow me"
jesus christ how
"we break her legs"
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #118046

On hindsight I should have put this in OP.

Anyway, this shouldn't be a big change;

Any projects I fund will need to work on my server. This is compulsory. My server is a tg branched server and can be found at https://github.com/Zaers/-tg-station
You are free to reuse this code, change it, make different versions.
I have rights to veto or force things in. I am paying for it after all. But as above, you're free to change it afterward.

And payment is not an issue.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #118455

I got my money. Thanks J.
Edit: I have no idea what happened to the image but w/e
Hey.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #120341

Getting paid doesn't mean that you guys will have to pay me to do more work, it just means this project gets put to the top of the list.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #120346

What's the plan for letting the frost legion deal with the AI? With fastmos around, it's quite easy to drop burnmix firebombs out of individual vents with almost no warning.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #120347

Interesting idea but as Scones said being cold is just a shit experience to suffer through.

The crew is not really equipped to deal with the effects of cold, this is more relevant when a changeling cyro stings someone, the only real solution then is to either k̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶R̶o̶b̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶C̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s inject Robust Coffee into your bloodstream directly and permanently or stick around in a hot shower for the next 20 minutes.

Also the 'Kingdom of Frost' seems a bit fantastical for a Science Fiction universe, but that's a personal opinion morose so I digress.

Being Cold will have to be less instantly lethal and more of a build up to worser things, right now getting colder progressively makes you die slowly and fucks you over in speed, movement and general ability to do anything. Having 3/4th's of the station reduced to a crawl will be unfun for everyone who did not steal the few coffee machine's stock on station at round start.

Cold will have to slowly progress in a way that does not immidently confer negative attributes, so the early stages of being too cold could just be more a notification and fluff text than actually having anything happen to you. It should only be near death that being cold really affects you.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #120348

What I'm saying is that early game the cold should just be more of a fluff thing, but the mid game cold, if not addressed, will start to actually make people colder while end game cold will kill people very quickly if they are not without protection.

This could be in the form of a three or four stage cold level alert.
  • Low Level: The inital cold stage the entire station starts out at, tiles show some signs of some snow. People get fluff text telling them they fell cold but otherwise no negative attributes.
  • Mid Level: Snow becomes common. People start to build up being cold if without any protection.
  • High Level: Snow overruns most structures. People without cold protection will rapidly suffer from hypothermia over the course of a few minutes, allowing someone to make short unprotected trips out of safe zones.
  • Critical Level: Its all snow. Being caught without any protection in the cold will kill you within seconds.
It'll be up to engineering, cargo and the crew to keep area's of the station from increasing in level, while it would be the job of the antagonists to sabotage these efforts to keep the levels increasing.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #120353

If lore is a major issue, these beings of ice are from a rare species of humanoid ice beings. All of these beings are related in some way, directly to one male ancestor. Their civilisation has been engaging in the acts of enslaving other beings by numbing the functions of the mind with coldness.

Scions can freeze Fuel tanks, canisters and water tanks at a distance.

Scions and Pawns cannot actually use anything energy based, and drain it of power when they try.
If they can break into the AI core, they can drain APCs.

The crew does have effective ways to fight coldness; winter clothing gives temperature protection, spacesuits are insulated against cold, Leporazine can be mass produced.

Not all parts of the station become cold. If you stay in a cold part without protection, you'll simply freeze and become a Pawn. This is why freezing large amounts of area is so ideal and capturing Atmos or Cargo is so important to enable the spread of cold.

Being a pawn grants you immunity to coldness, hunger and allows you to access the frost armoury which Scions should be making for you. Pawns are human.

I'll consider adding the formation of snow to act as a warning for someone. E.g looking through a window you see Cargo is snowed over.