Vices / Creature Comforts / Not-quite-addictions

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Vices / Creature Comforts / Not-quite-addictions

Post by Cheimon » #120968

So a while back when eating from the chef was made much more important, it really made that job role flourish. It's not been a total transformation but it seems by and large to have improved the game.

With that in mind, I propose that we give all players a vice. They'll need to consume this, ideally, every 20-30 minutes, or suffer a small penalty, be that mildly annoying messages ("You could really go for a cigarette.") or something more meaningful (a slight slowdown is the obvious candidate, or a slight speed boost for being satisfied).

Players would pick their vice from alcohol, caffeine, sugary snacks, smoking, or a random one of those each time (probably as part of having a random body). These are all either accessible through vending machines or from the bar, and they can all be carried with you if you need.

Ideally, this would encourage people to leave their workplace more often, or get others to fetch them certain items. It would lend added emphasis to the fact that you're playing a character, and not yourself. It could allow for sabotage situations in which various vices were denied to the crew (say, if all vendors were destroyed), forcing them to get help from botany or cargo or whatever. And finally, many of the items are mechanically interesting too: alcohol makes you stumble if you drink too much, and you become less able to communicate: cigarettes light fires and make it slower to put on internals, caffeine makes you jitter and keeps you a good temperature, and so on. Even snacks can be overdosed on (though you'd need to try pretty hard). So this would be mostly to encourage roleplay, more moving around the station, and to increase the desire to interact with certain items (the cumbersome cigarettes, or the unfriendly bartender). Fun? Not fun? Good idea? Bad idea?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Vices / Creature Comforts / Not-quite-addictions

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #120971

We lifeweb now.

This doesn't really have its place on a light RP server like this sadly.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #120973

While I agree with what you're trying to accomplish--making service jobs more important, ensuring that players need to leave their department, etc.--I don't know if this is the answer. Not that I have any ideas, though.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #120980

TechnoAlchemist wrote:We lifeweb now.

Why not? We have hunger, I don't see how a randomized vice will mess with the meta too bad. At worst, it'd be ignored. At best, it'll help push people away from being a mute validhunter with no personality.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #120981

DaemonBomb wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:We lifeweb now.

Why not? We have hunger, I don't see how a randomized vice will mess with the meta too bad. At worst, it'd be ignored. At best, it'll help push people away from being a mute validhunter with no personality.
Randomized would be an even worse decision that detracts from individual characters. The fact of the matter is that the mindset of tgstation is not RP oriented, so this won't be some roleplaying experience for players, it will simply be another hassle with no RP repercussions.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121015

nah, this would be like adding a thirst meter, it's not fun
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #121038

PKPenguin321 wrote:nah, this would be like adding a thirst meter, it's not fun
I'm definitely not suggesting you die if you don't do it, just get a minor buff (or avoid a minor debuff). Obviously there will be situations in which getting your vice isn't possible, and that's meant to be mildly challenging, not deadly.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #121039

Cheimon wrote: I'm definitely not suggesting you die if you don't do it, just get a minor buff (or avoid a minor debuff). Obviously there will be situations in which getting your vice isn't possible, and that's meant to be mildly challenging, not deadly.
So many people misuse the word challenging when they're really describing something that's difficult. So before you go on further about this idea, tell me, are the penalties something you overcome, or something to get in the way?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #121042

This would be ass in SS13.

This functions with the mood system in Lifeweb because most actions are a sort of difficultly check: Taking into account skills + stats, with your mood adversely affecting stats. This is not the case for SS13, and these sound like meaningless tedium. Lifeweb's are also more complex, and contribute towards the development of a character - Things like alcoholism, a compulsive need to write in a journal periodically, or even being physically less resilient to hardship - While these are just meaningless, surface annoyances centered around underdeveloped portions of the game. Similarly, these would not build or develop a character in any way if they were randomized.

It is much more interesting to say "I will extort Gennette for this thing she would not normally give me, because I have taken the means by which she sates her addiction" in contrast to "This guy needs sugar or he'll be a bit slower".

Vices function in an environment that actually values roleplay. Here, they would be mindless drudgery.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha