Low pop murderboner/armory/no sec

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Low pop murderboner/armory/no sec

Post by onleavedontatme » #120974

So low pop murderboner has always been a problem. (And I know I'm a broken record but slower speed made guns a lot stronger, and the crew has less stuns, so unarmed people are at a major disadvantage).

Autorifles+the backpack changes that let you hold hundreds of rounds of ammo have not helped much either.

So what can we do, other than having an admin spawn an ERT every time a traitor walks into an empty armory and loads up on a thousand rounds of ammo to kill everyone?

Despawn some of the armory at low pop? Something crazy like all crew getting a shitty gun? Prevent certain things that are hard for unarmed crew to fight (like adrenals) on low pop?

Hopefully someone has better ideas than I do.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Low pop murderboner/armory/no sec

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #120975

Low pop greytiding the armory and becoming a vigilante can remedy this problem.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #120982

Rule One bwoink the murderboner-er when they kill everyone without calling the shuttle?
Spoiler:
We could always make going out of your way to murder people for no raisin disallowed. If they're your target or in your way, or you have some grievance against them, all bets are off, though.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #120984

not having lowpop fixes this issue.

ss13 isnt fun with populations that are out of the range 25 to 50, imo. lowpop murderboner is just a small part in that.

if there is no sec, you can also just revolver people to death, the armory isnt even a necessity.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #120985

The solution is to not have lowpop.

However population-based Armory scaling would be interesting if someone wanted to take a crack at it.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #120994

Scones wrote:The solution is to not have lowpop.

However population-based Armory scaling would be interesting if someone wanted to take a crack at it.
Tricky when at certain times the population literally doubles or triples during a round.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121014

TheNightingale wrote:Rule One bwoink the murderboner-er when they kill everyone without calling the shuttle?
Spoiler:
We could always make going out of your way to murder people for no raisin disallowed. If they're your target or in your way, or you have some grievance against them, all bets are off, though.
nah, traitors are exempt from this kind of thing and if you recall the last time they tried to make traitors not allowed to murderbone at all, you'll remember that it was shit
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #121095

The game is designed around there being not only a certain level of population but also some members of security.

If antagonists on lower pop actually realised that many low pop rounds have no sec the round would end in a blood bath much quicker, fortunately that's not the case.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #121157

Scale antagonists by round start sec+cap+hop count :3

That'd get people playing.
Mime: Depresso
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #121158

If you want more security players then encourage people to play security.

I think the security rules being relaxed heavily (which did happen) will be a major contributor in helping bring people back into playing security. By not being under such strain and being able to better act under your own free will is a positive change.

I can't recall if antagonist selection was changed to give people with a security role set to high a equal chance as anyone else or not, but if that's not the case I think changing it so your antagonist position is picked before your job selection would be a great change.

Scaling antagonists by security is a bad idea, I won't rant on it but I'll summate in that if you did the math with how many round start officers there are you could figure out how many possible antagonists there would be. It would also likely force people to play security.

No one should be forced to play security, the Captain gets away with it since more often than not you need a Captain in a round.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #121166

This should be in the feedback forum really.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #121198

Even at 60+ pop, less than 3 Security at round start is pretty damn common.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #122830

Steelpoint wrote:The game is designed around there being not only a certain level of population but also some members of security.

If antagonists on lower pop actually realised that many low pop rounds have no sec the round would end in a blood bath much quicker, fortunately that's not the case.
There was usually more antag lynching going on by the crew rather than sec when everyone could roll around with stungloves at sanic speed and would just wreck them with their own gear.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #131472

Still a big problem I think. Two rounds in a row I was able to just walk in via emag and fit every single gun in my bag/on my belt or armour.

Adding adrenals to this just makes it more unfair/unlikely that anyone is gonna stop you.

Maybe the problem is how many guns a single person can hold. Maybe its the unstun button with zero drawbacks. Still shouldnt have almost every real gun in a single room.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #131474

One egun behind a shutter in every departmental sec checkpoint? That's what people were suggesting with shotguns.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #131490

Adrenals aren't TOO OP. Just headbottle them and light them on fire. It's hilarious. Most lowpop murderboners are too silly to even grab a helmet.

Fire makes every situation better, and it's a tool almost anyone can get access to.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #131495

It's quite hard to headbottle them if you can't get in melee range without being stunned and/or gunned down. Earlier today we had Amelius with an L6 (summon guns - they were a survivor) and reactive armour killing about half the crew before the borgs got them. (Reactive armour is remarkably good.)

People will always find ways to kill everyone, even if we make it harder. A policy solution might be needed - "Don't go out of your way to murderbone". (Of course, then you get the "Y-you can't restrict antags! Git gud!" crowd complaining.)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #131508

Kor wrote:Still a big problem I think. Two rounds in a row I was able to just walk in via emag and fit every single gun in my bag/on my belt or armour.

Adding adrenals to this just makes it more unfair/unlikely that anyone is gonna stop you.

Maybe the problem is how many guns a single person can hold. Maybe its the unstun button with zero drawbacks. Still shouldnt have almost every real gun in a single room.
Why dont we do that thing i suggested like a gorilion years ago and make lasers more powerful but make them require two hands like the chainsaw. That way a single douche cant take all of them in one trip
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131547

Most of the time on lower pop rounds all it would take is a few seconds for someone with a emag to loot the entire armoury as there's no one in there to defend it.
invisty

Post by invisty » #131563

IMO the armoury ought to take time to loot.

Why not put all the guns in little fire-axe style locking units that can be unlocked with sec-level access or with a multitool? (or "break in emergency!").
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #131564

Or just put the guns all in little safes. All you'd need is a multitool to reset the combination for them with the Warden being able to set their combos at round start.

We could also port the gun cases from Hippie. They're essentially locked lockers, they get unlocked with armory access, then by clicking on them you draw a gun out of them, to close right click, swipe ID to lock. Reason being is that they jut look so much better than having all our guns in this weird pile if we were to put them in a locker.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #131573

As others have said, this is first and foremost a pop issue.

I don't think you can game mechanics wise ever make the game balanced well for both low pop and high pop in this regard.

But I also think admins telling people to stop being shitter murderboners in lowpop under rule 1 should be considered.
Lowpop murderbone is fun for typically 1 fucking person, while everyone else sits in deadchat for 90 minutes watching them stroke their throbbing boner, or simply leaving.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131581

Last time someone tried to put the armoury guns inside locked lockers it resulted in a massive flame war and the PR being closed by the author.

Seriously, for the amount of salt produced from trying to put the guns in a locker, not even a fucking lockable one, its simply not worth the effort.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131582

I swear people on one hand detest how easy it is to break in and steal all the armoury's guns, yet they go mad when someone tried to put the guns in a locker spouting along the lines how its some kind of god given right that the guns should be easy to steal or something once someone is in the armoury.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #131588

Obviously they want the happy middle ground of having no armoury at all, hell no sec tasers either so they can show how robust their assistant is with improvised stuff in peace.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #131604

Its a big ask, but install a turret into the armoury that fires rubber bullets/stun bullets via a built in stun revolver (switchable?) with the warden + Sec/Cap having access to the turret wall console similar to the AI upload (If the HoP gives themselves access too, but if they do that they are probably valid anyway and should be shot)

It wont work on sleeping carp gang members for balance but It'll stop syndicate agent and most antag rushing meta and save the warden a little extra work. There are often enough racks in the armoury to keep shooting unobstructed, the only issue is targeting distance as it would need to cover the armoury area and not shoot outside of those confines into the surrounding rooms depending on map especially if using bullet ammo you dont want to break any glass.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #131613

just spawn everyone with a .357 revolver in low pop

if everyone has guns then criminals will be stopped

checkmate liberals.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #131616

This can be potentially solved with map rotation. For low-population, use a map with a more secure armory and more securitrons which replace the human security force. For high population, we can keep things as we have them now. There is no good way to balance this aspect for all population levels. It is better to use a differently balanced map to deal with a different population level, rather than try to balance it for all levels, and end up making it universally poor across the board.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #131621

There's no real way to make raiding the armory impotent enough to stop murderbones with it at lowpop, yet keep the armory effective during highpop short of scaling the number of guns. I'd agree that dedicated lowpop maps would be a good solution, but then we'd still have issues on the current maps
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #131650

all guns in the armory are stripped and have to be completely reassembled before being fireable.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #131652

We could make there be a plasma cutter in the armory at round start so proactive wardens can put loyalty pins in the guns instead of electric pins.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131658

It would be easier, and less viable to """"unbalance"""" rnd research to just make a unique item that has the ability to remove firing pins and put that in the armoury.

But again, the salt.
invisty

Post by invisty » #131711

Zilenan91 wrote:We could make there be a plasma cutter in the armory at round start so proactive wardens can put loyalty pins in the guns instead of electric pins.
Just let players freely change the firing pin in the weapon by pushing a new one in where the old one is.

Naturally, there should be a shortage of loyalty firing pins (say 3?), and they would require the warden to hand them out. These two factors would make "killing a sec officer for their taser" a bit unpredictable.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #131721

I could drop the tech requirements for loyalty firing pins from Combat 6 to Combat 5, to make them more common. Sec would probably be more likely to take pre-pinned weapons as well. I predict a great amount of backlash if I do this, however. It could be considered a nerf to conversion based antagonists.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #131726

Give Combat 7 a Dredd firing pin that explodes when anyone other than the original user touches it, and a loyalty pin Origin Tech of Combat 6. So if you can get a hold of combat shotguns and decon them for a loyalty pin, you can then decon that for Combat 7... and explosive DNA pins.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #131817

TheNightingale wrote:Give Combat 7 a Dredd firing pin that explodes when anyone other than the original user touches it, and a loyalty pin Origin Tech of Combat 6. So if you can get a hold of combat shotguns and decon them for a loyalty pin, you can then decon that for Combat 7... and explosive DNA pins.
Yes.

Also ban lowpop murderboner.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131822

I thought loyalty pins were combat 6 already?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #131847

their origin is 5.

Also we already have dredd pins in the game afaik, they're just admin only.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131857

Semi related there's also the "ultra funny clown pin" or something like that which explodes and honks if anybody but the clown fires it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #131876

The Loyalty Firing Pin has no origin tech, no pins do - this is likely an oversight.

In order to build a firing pin, you must have Combat 6, Materials 6, and Power 3. It takes silver, uranium, and diamond as materials.

My proposal is to lower its combat requirement from 6 to 5, making it much easier to get. The diamond requirement will still keep it quite restricted however, as the less robust miners often deposit everything except diamond.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #131877

>emag into armory
>take the loyalty implant box
>take every gun and the crew can't do jack shit to stop you because they aren't even allowed to use guns if they get their hands on them now
>can't easily hand out guns for blob/xenos/away missions/anti nuke op militias

Just causes more problems
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #131890

How about an unrecallable shuttle is called after 75% of the station is killed. That means if enough people get murderboned then they won't have to wait too long, about 16 minutes for a new round.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #131893

Make a trigger that will cause NT to call out the murderer through announcement after certain check is passed. if population <50% and dead population 50%=> and security <2 then "Hello station, you seem to have murderboner problem, the murderer is %antag's name% he currently is at %location%. Also we are calling the shuttle".

Or something.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #131894

Helios wrote:How about an unrecallable shuttle is called after 75% of the station is killed. That means if enough people get murderboned then they won't have to wait too long, about 16 minutes for a new round.
I had an idea for a GTA event a while back where as crew members started dying increasingly stronger security forces would start popping up on the station. Maybe make it so as players start dying there's an increasing chance of spawning a four man ERT with a max of three ERTs per round? Good way of encouraging discretion and preparation before going loud. Also gets people back in the round as well.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #131896

How about some shitty system where there are 'automated station security measures' that only take effect based on round type and population still alive.

So certain game modes (Anything outside of Traitor or Pure Changeling) can spawn in security systems as the population dies off.

So for example, if 25% of the crew die the station may deploy three Securitron's around the station set to patrol and arrest anyone based on weapon ID's. If 50% of the crew die turrets may appear at key junctions.

Whatever.

Realisticly low pop murderbone can only be solved with admins, if there are no admins on then your out of luck.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #131897

I mean, the auto shuttle call is technically a solution.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #131908

auto shuttle call at a certain percentage of dead, below a certain total pop threshold maybe the one where ID's get extra access.

also oranges idea is alright, give everyone revolvers. An armed society is a polite one.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #131972

Yeah, making loyalty pins easier to get doesn't address this issue at all sine 99% of people that lelstealarmourymurderbonelowpop just use emags.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #132115

imblyings wrote:also oranges idea is alright, give everyone revolvers. An armed society is a polite one.
Except the lack of consequences.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #132764

Helios wrote:How about an unrecallable shuttle is called after 75% of the station is killed. That means if enough people get murderboned then they won't have to wait too long, about 16 minutes for a new round.
imblyings wrote:auto shuttle call at a certain percentage of dead, below a certain total pop threshold maybe the one where ID's get extra access.
Do this.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote: