Lore Rounds, pressing buttons with a purpose

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Lore Rounds, pressing buttons with a purpose

Post by Helios » #127334

Okay, this sounds a bit autismal, but hear me out. Once a week, at a designated time, like as an example, first round after 5pm on Friday, it'll get switched to Extended, admin presses buttons, it relates to lore in some way, be it wizard/centcomm officials visiting, the clown/Mime war, trying to make a deal with the syndicates, xeno hive is discovered and the eggs are to be sent back on a shuttle to Centcomm.

Then, what people who play during that do is sufficed in a change, that would be commited at the convenience of coders, until the next week where another plot event happens, the old change gets reverted, and new stuff happens.
Some examples of stuff that could happen.
• Clown/Mime war reaches the station, depending on who wins there are no clowns/mimes until the next week
• Wizards attempt a peace treaty. Resolving peacefully results in a wizard Autodrober to be in Captain's office, poorly results in Wizards for the next week getting an extra spell slot.
• Science is researching a new type of weapon, syndicates are trying to steal it. Resolving positively and Autorifles are back in the armory, poorly and traitors can now buy C-20s
It'd be a lot of work, but the feeling that what you do during a specific round would carry over to future rounds and have a tangible effect seems like it could be neat
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Re: Lore Rounds, pressing buttons with a purpose

Post by Xhuis » #127392

To do this, it would require coders to work a lot more every week and server updates to be frequent, if not instantaneous, as well as admins willing to cooperate. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's almost no way this could happen in the way that you envision it.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #127404

that said a few of those could be interesting to have as an event i would not be against affecting later rounds but not for a fucking week more like 2 hours.
Helios

Post by Helios » #127410

Xhuis wrote:To do this, it would require coders to work a lot more every week and server updates to be frequent, if not instantaneous, as well as admins willing to cooperate. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's almost no way this could happen in the way that you envision it.
How much work does it take to add a vending machine to the cap's office, or take Mime/Clown from 1 to 0 openings?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #127411

Honestly if it were just minor changes, akin to what was listed in the OP, then it would be pretty easy to do.

Only problem is getting the changes merged and on the server/s in a reasonable time frame, not to mention the mapping merge conflicts it could cause on a weekly basis.

The problem is not the difficulty of mapping the changes, its getting the maintainers on board to deal with PR's that would need to be merged rapidly (around 24 hours) to be relevant, as well as the certain to occur merge conflicts arising from these frequent changes.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #127412

What you could do is list recent events as "news" on newspapers, holopapers, in the Changelog and on the alert consoles around the station.

These could be used to show the outcome of recent events and detail exactly what changes occurred due to them.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #127417

Helios wrote:
Xhuis wrote:To do this, it would require coders to work a lot more every week and server updates to be frequent, if not instantaneous, as well as admins willing to cooperate. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's almost no way this could happen in the way that you envision it.
How much work does it take to add a vending machine to the cap's office, or take Mime/Clown from 1 to 0 openings?
The problem is that a lot of people have projects they're working on (like vampires, in my case) and trying to get someone to be bothered to do small changes is surprisingly hard.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #127418

also that many events could ever be planed in time
Helios

Post by Helios » #127429

Well, the reason I am talking about this is that nothing people do carries between rounds, except for writing books. Non-coders influence on the map is voting on polls, making books, and the round vibe, as opposed to anything tangible. The idea of "Because I was good as a Head of Security, the station is going to be better equipped for the next week" has an appeal. That direct actions caused by a player can have an influence
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #127454

Helios wrote:Well, the reason I am talking about this is that nothing people do carries between rounds, except for writing books. Non-coders influence on the map is voting on polls, making books, and the round vibe, as opposed to anything tangible. The idea of "Because I was good as a Head of Security, the station is going to be better equipped for the next week" has an appeal. That direct actions caused by a player can have an influence
Talking as devils advocate that would also imply that if the station was maxcap bombed for a few rounds straight we'd start out on a shell of a station with next to nothing but a big metal mass. (looking at you toxins :unknownman: )

Its a kind of logic that i agree does add up with appeal but has little practicality in maintaining game balance, what if in the next HoS improved round all antags get cucked instantly by powergaming sec whizzing in and just shooting them, creating a snowball effect in which playing antag is more or less useless until the mould is broken or admins step in and revert, force the antags to win (which is cheap)

Spoiler:
Helios

Post by Helios » #127465

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Helios wrote:Well, the reason I am talking about this is that nothing people do carries between rounds, except for writing books. Non-coders influence on the map is voting on polls, making books, and the round vibe, as opposed to anything tangible. The idea of "Because I was good as a Head of Security, the station is going to be better equipped for the next week" has an appeal. That direct actions caused by a player can have an influence
Talking as devils advocate that would also imply that if the station was maxcap bombed for a few rounds straight we'd start out on a shell of a station with next to nothing but a big metal mass. (looking at you toxins :unknownman: )

Its a kind of logic that i agree does add up with appeal but has little practicality in maintaining game balance, what if in the next HoS improved round all antags get cucked instantly by powergaming sec whizzing in and just shooting them, creating a snowball effect in which playing antag is more or less useless until the mould is broken or admins step in and revert, force the antags to win (which is cheap)
The suggestions I had have implications beyond the station. If Aspie Lab Ten is bombed continuously, then Secret Fortess Fifteen won't be a bombed out shell.
Centcomm endorsing a side in a war
Centcomm having a weapons prototype stolen
Centcomm station having a wizard killed
All have implications outside of the specific station that was involved in that round