Bluespace Cargo Delivery

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Bluespace Cargo Delivery

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #127886

Science is more or less maxed out and now providing that things have slowed down now we have 'muh femto' and 'muh bluespess' there is not a lot more we can pursue research wise that isn't arbitrary or combat shotgun related.

Personally as someone who looks at two sides of the fence, cargo is not a 'hard' job and doesn't really benefit in any huge way from science's breakthroughs despite being the workhorse to its success. My suggestion is a way to teleport deliveries that arrive via shuttle in cargo straight into the workplace mule flaps or alternatively tied to a beacon.

I have two suggestive theories on how to accomplish this.

>The first is a large 6 part teleporter assembly with solid machines on the back three tiles that work as the calibrators and information machines and three walkable tiles infront that serve as loading bays to either side with a teleporter in the middle.

The rig is fashionably yellow. All the rig parts are ordered from but the inner materials, bluespace crystal fuel and R&D boards need to be supplied by R&D. This is to make it a joint project and not just a R&D toy that is bestowed upon some cargo peasants. :honk:

Calibrate the target (be it beacon or preexisting mule flaps if availible) wait a few seconds for the teleporter to load up and push the load through from the sides It may be worth putting thin glass windows around it to avoid walking into the dangerously unstable teleporter.

> The second theory and alternative suggestion is a Bluespace desination wormhole jaunter/tagger

Wrap a box up, allocate a mule drop point or a designated tracking beacon (you have to walk over and scan the tracking beacon manually to log it) and tag the wrapped up box, it will then have a wormhole appear over it and deliver it to the destinaton (running into the wormhole yourself that lingers for a second may seem like a good idea but its just as dangerous as a mining wormhole jaunter and runs the risk of spitting you slightly off course.)

That's as much as i can think up at the moment. Feeback would be appreciated. :whiskey: :popcorn:

Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Bluespace Cargo Delivery

Post by TheNightingale » #127888

Suddenly, bombs. Bombs, everywhere.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #127890

TheNightingale wrote:Suddenly, bombs. Bombs, everywhere.
Yes. I cannot deny.

Also immense nuke op confusion as two people teleport the disk away. :newcop: :salt:

Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #127891

The disk is secure against teleportation.
Transfer valves should be, too.

Anyway, there seems to be a rapid crate delivery system telepad somewhere in the code...
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127893

i like sending stuff through the Dispostal Chutes
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #127896

Super Aggro Crag wrote:i like sending stuff through the Dispostal Chutes
So do i but its not always viable because certain people are not versed in how to use the delivery system properly or even carry out maintenance on the disposals room so that things aren't piling up and resources that can be gained are going to waste from recycling. This gives people a more immediate option to get things from A to B without interruption by means of suggestion one or two.

Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #127950

you could just build a telesci thing, which would let them deliver shit anywhere.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #127956

lumipharon wrote:you could just build a telesci thing, which would let them deliver shit anywhere.
Not going to happen more than once a month. TeleScience requires too much to build and use. (Must decon teleporter/get diamonds, bother with bluespace research, and meta tools are required to make use of it). TeleScience has been effectively removed from the game, except on BirdBoatStation.
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #127957

This might be kind of interesting... however, there would have to be some limitations. For one we couldn't have custom coordinates, anyone remember Telescience? Unhacked it shouldn't be able to teleport people, but I can see it teleporting people if it was emagged.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #127960

I thought nuke discs aren't immune to teleportation? IIRC that was teleporting off the z-level?
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #127961

Gun Hog wrote:
lumipharon wrote:you could just build a telesci thing, which would let them deliver shit anywhere.
Not going to happen more than once a month. TeleScience requires too much to build and use. (Must decon teleporter/get diamonds, bother with bluespace research, and meta tools are required to make use of it). TeleScience has been effectively removed from the game, except on BirdBoatStation.
The OP's suggestion implies all of the same requirements to function, and again, the op said as a late game R&D thing to do.
Also using a calculator isn't meta - magically knowing the precise co-ordinates of shit off station is.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #127964

Also for a teleportation delivery system, you obviously need to make it "not suitable for human use", with "safety sensors" that "may or may not be prone to hacking".

Think of the industrial accidents. Missing limbs? Auto-gibbing teleporter? Inside-outing? Glorious death and injury awaits.
Mime: Depresso
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #127989

> See suggestion theory numero uno in the OP please about the construction of a cargo orientated six part cargo machine fueled by bluespace crystals please and how crates can be sent to tracking beacons (Im not the most versed in telescience personally but having a fixture is better than having a co-ordinate that could be widly wrong)
Gun Hog wrote:
To elaborate the parts for the Cargo telescience machine in the first suggestive theory are readymade, IMPORTANT EDIT - Can Not, be run through a destructive analyser, can be preemptively ordered early on in anticipation while waiting for R&D to pull through in supplying a board (as mentioned in the OP)

> Given that people have the time, you can have this up and running as soon as research draws toward the endgame which depending on station efficiency can be anything from up to 10 minutes with lightning fast miners and deconstruction to half a hour if people know what they are doing sufficently. Cargo can just put the assembled machine aside, pop a bluespace crystal in it to power it and wait for the board and hey presto its done no more fuss required.
invisty wrote:Also for a teleportation delivery system, you obviously need to make it "not suitable for human use", with "safety sensors" that "may or may not be prone to hacking".

Think of the industrial accidents. Missing limbs? Auto-gibbing teleporter? Inside-outing? Glorious death and injury awaits.
> Wormholes are implied by suggestion theory numero dos, which would have dangerous implications such as being marooned off course (possibly space) and suffering similar physiological effects as wormhole jaunting so without a suit, you'll be physically battered, and as a additional deterrant you may well be irradiated too, its only built for boxes and containers for a reason.

As to numero uno's machine, i agree the danger factor should be ramped up but i think if you're stupid or clumsy enough to fall in, its your own fault and safety machinery such as automatically switching it off should not be present. Emagging said machine should arm small mousetrap proximity bombs (nothing to seriously breach or cause damage to anything but the person opening in - bomb suits and RD suits feel nothing)inside the crates along with the cargo, perhaps incinerating some of the contents.

:honk:
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #128008

All "Let's use teleportation to accomplish things faster / to simplify things" are bad.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #128014

Scott wrote:All "Let's use teleportation to accomplish things faster / to simplify things" are bad.
I can see your point, but its a wholly optional thing to undertake or make, suggestion two of a bluespace destination tagger doesnt even have to be given to cargo since science can just jaunt thier designs in lockers wherever they want, people will most likely run up to the desk, ask for a set of items/plus a clean tracking beacon for the BDT to scan and deliver to the co-ordinates to, send a all clear to them over PDA and tally ho it arrives in a jiffy. (providing the object doesn't land on them if they stand over the beacon and knock them unconcious from a lucky hit)

If it really steps up as a upgrade then let it be, but its still no excuse for poor cargo service since even with disposals and mulebots its sheer laziness for something that will arrive anyway. Making it all bluespacey and teleporting it straight to somewhere, means that it will likely not get stolen in the process or interfered with as the biggest plus aside from speed. Meaning that disposals can instead just be used for processing trash for a while and mules sit around being useless as they usually are, also to note that it still needs to be wrapped up in wrapping paper and living things can't really survive it very well *Unless we are talking that livestock boxes have intense protection around them*

> A fun little idea could be to have warping in wrapped closets with goodies in them as a event, obviously a mixed bag of nasty and nice suprises.

Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #128018

In general I agree with scott (fuck brpeds working remotely THROUGH CAMERAS), but if this only teleports to mule drop off points or whatever they are, it seem's perfectly fine.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #128020

Scott wrote:All "Let's use teleportation to accomplish things faster / to simplify things" are bad.
Amazingly, I actually agree with you on something. Teleportation = "This process can't be hacked, repurposed, sabotaged, or otherwise interfered with. It does what it's designed to do, and nothing else."
Remove the AI.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #128027

lumipharon wrote:In general I agree with scott (fuck brpeds working remotely THROUGH CAMERAS), but if this only teleports to mule drop off points or whatever they are, it seem's perfectly fine.
And as mentioned in the OP to specified tracking beacons that have to be scanned with the BDT firsthand to identify the co-ords to send to. So you dont sit behind a desk and hit buttons with a calcutator, just send it to - last entered beacon, or a small list of three at any one time that new entries overwrites the oldest. Otherwise mule pickup points are on the BDT as default, the whole tracking beacon thing is only there if you really need it to be delivered to a specific place.

> Restrictions on only sending wrapped articles so no unwelcome open plasma tanks that ignite off the teleportation arrival sparks
> Both the cargo teleporter six part pad and the BDT are simplified so you even low wage employees with no training or instruction can work it out at bare minimum by themselves without messing up too bad.

Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #128119

This is literally just telesci.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #128958

you mean the teleporters we already have
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #129521

tuypo1 wrote:you mean the teleporters we already have
>Specific cargo teleporters that are availible by the 'early = midgame' that just speed stuff up immensely.

> Handheld technology that wormhole jaunts crates to mule areas or predetermined.

Plus all of this is more or less math free, its telescience technology for dummies, please read the OP. (will get about to reformatting the OP, noticing a disturbing trend)

Spoiler: