Nerf patches

A place to record your ideas for the game.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Nerf patches

Post by J_Madison » #128321

Consider the following:

Patches bypass armour.
A 50u patch practically heals ALL wounds in that region, and regions nearby.
IIRC a 50u patch will almost entirely someone whom is almost about to go into crit.
There is only one, minor and rarely used mechanic that makes the pill superior in one way, and one way possible - dropping it into a drink.

Solution:
Nerf patches to 25u or 35u maximum.

Reasoning:
Pills are useful again as they're capable of holding more chemicals.
Greyshit, valid antag, or whomever you're trying to kill won't instantly heal 90% of their health with a single patch.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Nerf patches

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #128336

Or we could add a delay to using them on yourself (much like bruise packs and ointment) so you can't slap patches on during combat for full health.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #128348

Patches are head and shoulders above both bruise packs and trek chems in terms of fast and easy healing - despite goof repeatedly going on about how dumb being able to load up on DD etc to quickly heal, it ignores the fact that goofchem patches do the exact same thing only far far better.

A 50u patc of 25/25 silver sulf and styptic will heal all your brute and burn damage (unless you have a serious shit load, which usually means you're in crit.
On top of this, half (give or take) is done INSTANTLY, to every part of your body, unike bruisepacks.
The other half is done over time, which is exactly the same thing as people loading up on DD/tricord or whatever, since there is no addiction or OD threshold.

Nerfing patch max amount honestly isn't goin to help - in 95% of cases, a 50u healing patch is way more then overkill, even 25u patches are more then you need for all but the most seriously injured people.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128359

lumipharon wrote:Patches are head and shoulders above both bruise packs and trek chems in terms of fast and easy healing - despite goof repeatedly going on about how dumb being able to load up on DD etc to quickly heal, it ignores the fact that goofchem patches do the exact same thing only far far better.

A 50u patc of 25/25 silver sulf and styptic will heal all your brute and burn damage (unless you have a serious shit load, which usually means you're in crit.
On top of this, half (give or take) is done INSTANTLY, to every part of your body, unike bruisepacks.
The other half is done over time, which is exactly the same thing as people loading up on DD/tricord or whatever, since there is no addiction or OD threshold.

Nerfing patch max amount honestly isn't goin to help - in 95% of cases, a 50u healing patch is way more then overkill, even 25u patches are more then you need for all but the most seriously injured people.
Strange. According to my tests, it made a big difference, I can't confirm or deny changes to those two touch based medicines, so a potential nerf would be required too.
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Or we could add a delay to using them on yourself (much like bruise packs and ointment) so you can't slap patches on during combat for full health.
People will get quite upset at this change, I garuantee it.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #128363

I think patches are just pills that go through hardsuits. If we're trying to differentiate them, then...

* Add a short (i.e. shorter than current bruise packs/ointment/gauze) delay to patches, and remove the delay from bruise packs, ointment and gauze
* Remove patches' ability to work through hard clothing

Opinions?
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128377

TheNightingale wrote:I think patches are just pills that go through hardsuits. If we're trying to differentiate them, then...

* Add a short (i.e. shorter than current bruise packs/ointment/gauze) delay to patches, and remove the delay from bruise packs, ointment and gauze

Opinions?
1. People - especially miners - will not like that.
2. Ditto. Miners, engineers, firefighters cannot risk removing protective equipment.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #128383

i have changed my ways about caring about fast heals being too fast and instead ask "why do we need to nerf it", and "why does medbay need to be slow and nerfed"

if anything we should just buff pills to hold 75u or something, and remove the application delays on bruise/ointment/gauze
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #128392

J_Madison wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:I think patches are just pills that go through hardsuits. If we're trying to differentiate them, then...

Opinions?
1. People - especially miners - will not like that.
2. Ditto. Miners, engineers, firefighters cannot risk removing protective equipment.
you will take like 1 burn damage if you pop off the helmet for a moment to put on a patch.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #128452

iamgoofball wrote:i have changed my ways about caring about fast heals being too fast and instead ask "why do we need to nerf it", and "why does medbay need to be slow and nerfed"

if anything we should just buff pills to hold 75u or something, and remove the application delays on bruise/ointment/gauze
Why buff two things when one nerf will do the same?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #128461

callanrockslol wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:i have changed my ways about caring about fast heals being too fast and instead ask "why do we need to nerf it", and "why does medbay need to be slow and nerfed"

Why buff two things when one nerf will do the same?
Shh, he just withdrew support for fast med revert goonchem before he changes his mind!
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #128465

No, he went from "trek chem is dumb because you can heal fast and load up on meds", and after people pointed out that goof chem does the same thing only even worse has gone to "healing slow is dumb".
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #128470

"Now that it's directly my fault that heals are too fast, I have decided it's not a problem."
Remove the AI.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #128495

In it for the long con.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128498

>pills holding 75u
This wouldn't be that bad, but the problem is the actual lack of people who're capable of making anything that needs more than 40u.

I estimate a minor 10% of the server population can make a pill that uses all 50u, even less with those that can make a pill using more than 50u.

As for healing too quickly or healing too slowly, using two burn patches (for one region) in the middle of a fight is not easy.

The before and after results are quite impressive.

HOP Tator couldn't fight off security with just Captains laser, armour and a burn kit. It wasn't possible. He has to stop firing and take his time to heal twice rather than once.

That's the difference goof. Halving it did quite a number. Nerfing it is good. You cannot have a meta-game where having 5 burn patches and armour can survive the entire armoury's laser weapons. That's ridiculous.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #128525

I have no idea what is wrong with using bicardine and kelotone anyway if they just have OD tresholds.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #128532

CPTANT wrote:I have no idea what is wrong with using bicardine and kelotone anyway if they just have OD tresholds.
Because goof wont give up his baby despite it being nothing but trouble since the beginning, and going against one of the things he originally championed it for.

Look at the self surgery PR for another example :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #128533

CPTANT wrote:I have no idea what is wrong with using bicardine and kelotone anyway if they just have OD tresholds.
it would mean goof was wrong to change something, and he'd throw a huge shitfit because his ego can't take that and try to turn it into a CODERS VS PLAYERS argument, stir the coderbus into a cauldron of shit, everyone would start flinging shit everywhere, it'd be a real shitticane, and shit wouldn't get done because every shitter would be too busy shitting shit.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #128534

Is it time for another "revert goofchem but keep pyrotechnics and OD" thread?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #128577

trek chems (or some of them atleast) are back in the game via sleepers (and I think medbots, dunno).
It would be a simple case of turning off some goof healing chems, giving the trek chems recipies again, and raising their OD thresholds a bit (they're at like, 10 or 15 atm I think).

Also there is/was a pr up to make DD heal again, which hilariously enough goof was shitting up about how being able to load up on healing chems to heal fast is OP.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #128581

Wouldn't it just make more sense to buff pills to holding 100 and 200 units? And increasing the delay on use of said pills.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #128584

But pills are shit currently (for healing) there is nothing useful you can put in them.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128628

John_Oxford wrote:Wouldn't it just make more sense to buff pills to holding 100 and 200 units? And increasing the delay on use of said pills.
No, it wouldn't. And the ChemMaster doesn't support anything past 100u.
lumipharon wrote:But pills are shit currently (for healing) there is nothing useful you can put in them.
Considering Goofchem (which honestly, isn't that bad) compared to Zaerchem, you're right.

But it would be incredibly single minded to dismiss pills just because they incredibly overpowered SS and SP touch heal patches, and the lack of creativity of most chemists.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #128724

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Is it time for another "revert goofchem but keep pyrotechnics and OD" thread?
No, and anyone who persists is getting their post deleted.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #128732

Hail the brave forummods, protecting us from our own opinions
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128738

Stay on topic, or make a thread for Goofchem.

Complain to coderbus if you want a new chemical system.

Question of the century:
Why would anyone make a pill over a patch, except to drop into drinks?

Nobody has given an answer that without reasonable doubt answers this question.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #128739

Here is hoping the whole "dropping pills into drinks" thing will actally become a viable murderstrategy once reagent obfuscation is in
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #128749

J_Madison wrote:Stay on topic, or make a thread for Goofchem.

Question of the century:

does charcoal do anything as a patch? i usually make it as a pill.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #128754

I fail to see why a differentiation in ingestion based and touch based reagents is interesting in the first place.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #128765

TheNightingale wrote:* Add a short (i.e. shorter than current bruise packs/ointment/gauze) delay to patches, and remove the delay from bruise packs, ointment and gauze
Opinions?
I can agree with this. The bruise pack/ointment delay is ridiculously obnoxious in the first place, and the sole getaround that makes using them worthwhile (spamming your sprite 6 times then quickly switching targets while each are applied).

Patches are honestly fine generally speaking though. Not everything has to go through the 'it's reasonably robust! Nerf it!' process that it seems a few people push for. I haven't seen anyone until now complain about patches in this sense anyway.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128796

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
J_Madison wrote:Stay on topic, or make a thread for Goofchem.

Question of the century:

does charcoal do anything as a patch? i usually make it as a pill.
Literally works the exact same way, except bypasses masks and protective suits.

As I said, unless you want to slip drugs into people's drinks (god damn who actually does this), there is effectively absolutely NO REASON to use pills, ever.
CPTANT wrote:I fail to see why a differentiation in ingestion based and touch based reagents is interesting in the first place.
You can't eat SS, SP or SF. They'll cause toxin damage and display a message.
Amelius wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:* Add a short (i.e. shorter than current bruise packs/ointment/gauze) delay to patches, and remove the delay from bruise packs, ointment and gauze
Opinions?
I can agree with this. The bruise pack/ointment delay is ridiculously obnoxious in the first place, and the sole getaround that makes using them worthwhile (spamming your sprite 6 times then quickly switching targets while each are applied).

Patches are honestly fine generally speaking though. Not everything has to go through the 'it's reasonably robust! Nerf it!' process that it seems a few people push for. I haven't seen anyone until now complain about patches in this sense anyway.
By the time people complain, it's already too late and absolutely nobody will do anything about it. I.e. Tasers.

Try changing it before shit occurs. Healing obnoxiously quickly makes it ridiculously difficult to kill someone. Think wizard with jaunt and two white medkits. And each item has several uses.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #128804

J_Madison wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:
CPTANT wrote:I fail to see why a differentiation in ingestion based and touch based reagents is interesting in the first place.
And this is interesting for gameplay how?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #128846

Wyzack wrote:Here is hoping the whole "dropping pills into drinks" thing will actally become a viable murderstrategy once reagent obfuscation is in
it still wont be viable as long as the BIG RED MESSAGE THAT TELLS EVERYBODY WHAT YOU DID is still in
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #128851

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Here is hoping the whole "dropping pills into drinks" thing will actally become a viable murderstrategy once reagent obfuscation is in
it still wont be viable as long as the BIG RED MESSAGE THAT TELLS EVERYBODY WHAT YOU DID is still in
JOE HYPNOL SLIPS SOMETHING INTO THE GLASS!!!!!!!
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #128852

newfren wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
JOE HYPNOL SLIPS SOMETHING INTO THE GLASS!!!!!!!
I'll remove the big red message, I agree that it is dumb.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128854

CPTANT wrote:
J_Madison wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:
And this is interesting for gameplay how?
It's not, it's basically hardcoded so it won't bug out when you use target-touch based medicines without actually targetting a place.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #128856

Keep the "slips something into the drink" message in as a normal black text thing so you can still notice it if you're not distracted
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #128857

How about removing YOU FEEL LIKE YOU TOOK TOO MANY ROOFIES so people don't know exactly how they were poisoned
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #128860

Wyzack wrote:How about removing YOU FEEL LIKE YOU TOOK TOO MANY ROOFIES so people don't know exactly how they were poisoned
i'm pretty sure the only poison with an OD is Histamine. I can add a thing to disable showing OD alerts on certain chems for histamine.

Then again, with med scanners being able to scan chems removing the message entirely could help. Who knows, I'll test run it.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #128887

It's most prominent with the jab from a sleepypen telling you that someone's injected you with morphine goof.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128891

Stick to the topic guys.

Make your own topic to complain about that.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #128919

being able to poison drinks stealthily just results in no one ever drinking anymore in case they'll get poisoned.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #128961

Stick to the fucking topic. Make a new thread if you want to complain about that.
This is the discussion of patches, not parapens or C4.

Stick on topic or don't post at all. This isn't the place to discuss it.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #128994

Super Aggro Crag wrote:being able to poison drinks stealthily just results in no one ever drinking anymore in case they'll get poisoned.
Before default reagent viewing mixes that weren't drinks would be "what" and mixes that were majority drinks would appear as that drink you could slip in a minority of poison anyway. It is actually maintaining the status quo but is better for beakers and shit.