Have emagging Drones do *something*

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Have emagging Drones do *something*

Post by Helios » #139149

I don't care if it is positive or negative.
It'd be fine if it made them explode in 60 seconds, or change their laws, or make them have the same lawset as Swarmers, barring the ability to self reproduce. As long as it does *something*
If you say "Drones will intentionally become emagged", cyborgs already do that. I yell that I am going to be emagging Cyborgs, and suddenly all the Posibrains start lighting up
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Have emagging Drones do *something*

Post by TheNightingale » #139150

A drone can't intentionally become emagged, that's in violation of its laws to not interfere with other living beings. But if you can tap one with a sequencer as it's running past... why not make them become a Syndrone, sans radio?
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #139152

Because antag drones are overpowered as fuck. Swarmers are restricted by code so they cannot screw with important station systems. Drones have no such limitation. A single Syndiedrone can fuck the station over completely.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #139154

Alex Crimson wrote:Because antag drones are overpowered as fuck. Swarmers are restricted by code so they cannot screw with important station systems. Drones have no such limitation. A single Syndiedrone can fuck the station over completely.
This, also, they might be fragile, but they're ridiculously hard to hit, can ventcrawl, are very easy to produce (sometimes autoproduce) and can easily deconstruct every vital structure on the station without contention. No thanks.
Helios

Post by Helios » #139160

I never suggested they become Syndidrones, just that emagging them does *something*
Helios

Post by Helios » #139166

CosmicScientist wrote:That something will be abooseable.
You can make the same argument about it being abusable for Drones, as it can be for Cyborgs. Only difference is Cyborgs require more metal and some gold from the vault, and as such Drones should have a weaker effect
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #139171

Nope. Leave drones alone. They're already line-toeing shitters enough as is.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #139173

Have it so that their laws instruct them to deconstruct the station.
Mime: Depresso
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #139175

Make the emagging take hold only after a delay, and don't add any way for the drone to identify its emagger.

This might help with antagbegging drones.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #139178

what if emagging a drone gave it a law to kill the person who emagged it
Helios

Post by Helios » #139183

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Nope. Leave drones alone. They're already line-toeing shitters enough as is.
It's just emagging every single other bot borg or drone does something, except for drones. :clean: :tile: :medbot: :thelaw:
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #139189

How about they just play Beepsky sounds at random after being emagged, with everything else being the same.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #139191

Hacked drones exist, they are just admin only. They move slower, have an obvious sprite, and can't ventcrawl. Their laws are polar opposites of their nornal laws. They're still extremely overpowered.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139195

Emags don't need more functionality. They already immensely outstrip all other items of comparable cost in usefulness.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Helios

Post by Helios » #139198

Drynwyn wrote:Emags don't need more functionality. They already immensely outstrip all other items of comparable cost in usefulness.
Holoparasite has it beat.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #139200

Helios wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:Emags don't need more functionality. They already immensely outstrip all other items of comparable cost in usefulness.
Then it's settled, if you emag a drone it becomes your new holoparasite.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #139208

Having been on the receiving end of rogue drones, no way no how. They're literally impossible to and even without ventcrawling their tiny ass sprite and high-speed makes hitting them next to impossible.

Besides, Swarmers fulfill the function of hacked drones already rather nicely already and have code restrictions that makes them have to be very creative if they want to harm someone.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #139273

Make it antagonist only to other drones. Consider it valid for other drones if they find out (little change in rues or handwave). Microtator is a go.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #139302

Make emagged drones get a self destruct button that does the same damage as C4.
I play Boris Pepper.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139358

Helios wrote:
I said "comparable cost" for a reason. Holoparasite is more powerful, but because it costs over half your TC, buying it pigeonholes you into being Holoparasite Guy- that is, if you buy it, it *must* be a substantial portion of your strategy, whereas the emag can be easily added on to any other gear combination.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #139360

Bluespace wrote:Make emagged drones get a self destruct button that does the same damage as C4.

That sounds fucking awesome holy shit. I could see traitors sitting down in maint with an assload of metal & glass, printing off drones, emagging them before htey activate, then telling them to go allahu in public places.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #139362

Even better, make emagged drones valid, by having them electrocute people if they walk past them. People will try to kill them, and they'll blow up.

tl;dr - emag drone, people get griefed.
Mime: Depresso
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #139372

The issue is, as was said, drones are unlike most other forms of silicons like borgs. They're literally just an aside thing so a bored ghost has something to do in the round, with the express purpose being they not interfere. If they get any ability to grief as a result of emagging, you're right that this will result in a flood of it, since drones already toe every line they can find.

The only way I'd be cool with it would be if the drone got a law to kill its emagger added, but otherwise remained exactly the same. Or if emagging made a drone move at half speed and doubled their sprite.

But all that would move it farther away from the only point drones have ever had; that they do not interfere at all.
RIP
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #139381

i understand where you're coming from, but now that posibrains exist i don't really think emagged drones are a huge problem anymore. androids can get 'magged and go on killing sprees, or have hacked/malf laws. the "impossible to hit" thing is a problem, but making it so that lasers/disablers/tasers/EMP affects them instead of passing harmlessly over would probably resolve that problem.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #139384

You can also stun drones with stunbatons/stunprods, and I assume tasers too, so they're not unstoppable if you want to lock one down. You might even be able to cuff them, but I haven't tried.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #139411

Yeah, you can stun them if you get to click on them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #139421

Maybe turn emagged drones into swarmers after a short delay?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #139428

Emagged drones get given a scottish hat and a sword and are told that they are playing drone highlander.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #139443

Emagging drones removes their laws. All their laws. Including the law that prevents them from killing their emagger. If you want to emag a drone, this is the risk you take. Also cuts down on meta ("this drone is acting weird = must be breaking the GAME RULES!")

Also, make emagging a drone harm them at first. That way, a law-abiding drone will be forced to flee the source of harm.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #139469

The other idea is make drones unconditionally valid at all times, while still normally unable to fight back or interfere. Make them scurry in the shadows again or be subject to the whim of a murderous assistant. I hate Valids in most other situations but I really do think it would help with Interfering Drones, which is something I hate almost more than anything else in this game. And it would make it more reasonable for emagging a drone to let it do bad things.
RIP
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #139471

Adminhelp interfering drones and they'll get stuck with a drone jobban. Don't make drones inherently valid, that just encourages people to kill them FNR.

I like the idea of emagging a drone making it blow up after a while. Drones won't want to be emagged, but traitors will still have an incentive to do it.
Helios

Post by Helios » #139477

Another idea would be just make them explode when they die, and add a law that they avoid the player who emagged them.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #139880

Hibbles wrote:The other idea is make drones unconditionally valid at all times, while still normally unable to fight back or interfere. Make them scurry in the shadows again or be subject to the whim of a murderous assistant. I hate Valids in most other situations but I really do think it would help with Interfering Drones, which is something I hate almost more than anything else in this game. And it would make it more reasonable for emagging a drone to let it do bad things.
Since when did drones become un-valid? They were always valid to kill for their toolkits in the past, since they can come back at no cost as soon as robo shits some more out...
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #139884

Drones shouldn't be unconditionally valid. Robotics won't always make more, and there are real players behind the drone shell. There's a Rule 1 thing about beating drones to death FNR, I'd hope.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #139900

TheNightingale wrote:Drones shouldn't be unconditionally valid. Robotics won't always make more, and there are real players behind the drone shell. There's a Rule 1 thing about beating drones to death FNR, I'd hope.
nope, drones have always been valid. really though, i only kill them if they're trying to steal cargo's points or print off a bag of holding to waste R&D's mats and inevitably get the station singulo'd. that, and if i'm a traitor lurking in the shadows and they come by with a flashlight on.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #139901

Still stand behind my idea of drone on drone tatorism.