Wizards can't use guns.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Wizards can't use guns.

Post by TheNightingale » #141444

So you know how the Sleeping Carp gang can't use ranged weapons? I propose that neither can wizards of the Space Wizard Federation. They use magic instead.

"But why?", you ask. Because MM/Ei Nath is bad enough without them Jaunting into the Armory and tase-and-lasering everyone. From a lore perspective, the SWF eschews the use of primitive Muggle technology, and the arcane field around a magic-user disrupts the mechanics in guns anyway. They can only use staves and wands.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Wizards can't use guns.

Post by Saegrimr » #141446

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #141447

this is funny because wizard staves are actually programmed as guns.
私は完璧
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141452

Stop them using /obj/item/weapon/gun/projectile and /obj/item/weapon/gun/energy - they can still use /obj/item/weapon/gun/magic (where staves and wands go). They can also use grenade launchers and syringe guns, but when do you ever see a wizard with those?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #141460

why would wizards be able to summon an arsenal of guns but not use them?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #141461

seems reasonable.

my ideal conception of wizard is as someone who uses something OTHER than evasion spells with ei nath

make the destructive spells more destructive and maybe eventually someone will actually use something that isn't the same 5 fucking spells because they're clearly optimal

anyway this would help along with a buff to everything else besides mm/jaunt/teleport/ei nath
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #141467

MMMiracles wrote:why would wizards be able to summon an arsenal of guns but not use them?
Why do the wizard's federation do anything? It's because they clearly have nothing better to do than develop spells for random shit and test it out on local space stations.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #141475

Cheimon wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:why would wizards be able to summon an arsenal of guns but not use them?
Why do the wizard's federation do anything? It's because they clearly have nothing better to do than develop spells for random shit and test it out on local space stations.
Wizards are like the jackasses who won the lottery and decide to flaunt what they've got and buy things (learn spells) that they have no use for other than to show off if only because they don't have the internet around to spread viruses around on.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #141483

See the difference between a hulk and a wizard is that one is expected to fight off 50 people at once, while the other simply aspires to.

No/10
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
mazen30
Byond Username: Mazen30

Post by mazen30 » #141838

Crew members can learn and fire wiz staffs and guns, i say no to this terrible idea
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141840

It's more the wizards being elitist "MAGIC IS BEST" than anything else. How about a spell that lets them use 'real' guns for a few spell points? (So you too can go on MM-Captain's laser murderbone rampages... but you have to lose one of your spells for it.) They're powerful enough as it is, with a huge variety of combat and utility spells - with weapons (bear in mind they can teleport or Jaunt directly into the Armory), they're even more imbalanced. There should be a tradeoff for having the ability to shoot things and spell things.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #141854

boooooooo
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #141855

I disagree, Wizards have never had restrictions on item usage and to be frank guns pale in comparison to magical abilities.

The reason Wizards do use guns is to save their real magical abilties for something more important, nothing's worse than wasting a higher level spell on some mook only for the Security team to jump on you and your powers are on cool down.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #141858

charge charges guns
Cik

Post by Cik » #141862

guns are one of the largest contributing factors to escape spell spam wizards, and escape spam is fucking awful.

i want to play ss13 not league of fucking legends
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #141891

I wont raid the armory again, just dont do this. I'll come up with something interesting next time.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #141904

Just like with nuke ops, people should expect that the armory is a pretty likely first stop for wizards. The second someone screams WIZARD those guns should be moving (but not a moment before, dats meta)
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141905

The second someone screams WIZARD, it's because there's a Wizard literally in the Armory because teleport scroll. Either that or on top of the AI.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #141908

TheNightingale wrote:The second someone screams WIZARD, it's because there's a Wizard literally in the Armory because teleport scroll. Either that or on top of the AI.
have you considered that a solution may be not to remove the wizard's ability to use guns, but to keep it from being able to teleport directly into the armory?
that or just not touching it, you salty fuck
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141910

PKPenguin321 wrote:have you considered that a solution may be not to remove the wizard's ability to use guns, but to keep it from being able to teleport directly into the armory?
Teleport-protected areas? Is that possible? Perhaps a special type of floor and wall, but I'm not sure how viable that'd be.

PKPenguin321 wrote:that or just not touching it, you salty fuck
This entire thread was an "i ded, pls nerf" after a Wizard got a ton of guns and shot everyone.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #141971

As much as everybody hates stealth wizards, this does fuck over stealth wizards. It would also fuck over mindswap wizards too.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #142344

TheNightingale wrote:So you know how the Sleeping Carp gang can't use ranged weapons? I propose that neither can wizards of the Space Wizard Federation. They use magic instead.

"But why?", you ask. Because MM/Ei Nath is bad enough without them Jaunting into the Armory and tase-and-lasering everyone. From a lore perspective, the SWF eschews the use of primitive Muggle technology, and the arcane field around a magic-user disrupts the mechanics in guns anyway. They can only use staves and wands.
Horrible idea, but if you want it so badly? Fine, then normal crewmembers can't use staffs, wands, or any wizard artifact. And they can't learn spells either.
Cik

Post by Cik » #142354

i'm okay with that considering usually it's just a bunch of assholes spamming horsehead curse or blind on random bystanders FNR.

good trade