The final solution to the antag pop-up prompt question.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

The final solution to the antag pop-up prompt question.

Post by Lumbermancer » #144289

Pop ups. First, you had to just push enter to approve your candidature. It favored the autists who don't browse the internets while dead, and those that turn on macros for autoclicking (filthy hackers). Its warning sound was largely indistinct too. Now we have different prompt, you can't push enter anymore, you have to mouse click on "ok". It's less predicable, but problems remain.

So, here's what I postulate. Let all sorts of antags, including sentient monsters, ert and other meme events be on opt-in basis, just like normal antags. And then when antag is chosen randomly have a pop up for 10 seconds to confirm it, so the person can refuse the antag if he or she doesn't want it, or new antag can be chosen is the person is afk.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: The final solution to the antag pop-up prompt question.

Post by CPTANT » #144300

Lumbermancer wrote:Pop ups. First, you had to just push enter to approve your candidature. It favored the autists who don't browse the internets while dead, and those that turn on macros for autoclicking (filthy hackers). Its warning sound was largely indistinct too. Now we have different prompt, you can't push enter anymore, you have to mouse click on "ok". It's less predicable, but problems remain.

So, here's what I postulate. Let all sorts of antags, including sentient monsters, ert and other meme events be on opt-in basis, just like normal antags. And then when antag is chosen randomly have a pop up for 10 seconds to confirm it, so the person can refuse the antag if he or she doesn't want it, or new antag can be chosen is the person is afk.
Yeah I never really understood why not all role candidacies are handled like with xenos. You turn on the preference and get directly spawned in as soon as there is a viable mob to jump to.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #144454

Because we don't want 5000 different preference options that are literally newbie traps that exist mainly to keep them from actually getting to play xeno.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #144457

Why was this a needed change at all
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #144545

Isnt low ping bias still a problem?
Mime: Depresso
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #144644

ShadowDimentio wrote:Why was this a needed change at all
typing anything while the byond popup appeared was accepted as a Yes, which meant you'd be getting a lot of roles you didn't intend to roll for.
with our own popups, they don't take the focus away from the current windows, allowing you to type fine.
Our custom ones also auto-close if the popup is based around a timed window (eg: 10 seconds to decide if you want to be Ian!) and that time runs out, this stops you being disappointed about clicking popups that had been open the entire time you'd been AFK.
私は完璧
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #144657

Lumbermancer wrote:So, here's what I postulate. Let all sorts of antags, including sentient monsters, ert and other meme events be on opt-in basis, just like normal antags. And then when antag is chosen randomly have a pop up for 10 seconds to confirm it, so the person can refuse the antag if he or she doesn't want it, or new antag can be chosen is the person is afk.
This is how it should be.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144663

MisterPerson wrote:Because we don't want 5000 different preference options that are literally newbie traps that exist mainly to keep them from actually getting to play xeno.
Come on guy, there are 18 antag options already, you think four or five more would make that big of a difference? You think Xeno is harder than shadowling or god's hand?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #144699

18 is already way too many. I don't mind them existing, I mind them defaulting off. There's no indication to new players that they need to do something to become an antag. Textbook newbie trap.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #144821

That's retarded reasoning. It's nothing obscure, it's a button in Preferences. If you can't expect a random person to figure this shit out, they shouldn't be playing this game anyways.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #144868

MisterPerson wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:Because we don't want 5000 different preference options that are literally newbie traps that exist mainly to keep them from actually getting to play xeno.
Come on guy, there are 18 antag options already, you think four or five more would make that big of a difference? You think Xeno is harder than shadowling or god's hand?
18 is already way too many. I don't mind them existing, I mind them defaulting off. There's no indication to new players that they need to do something to become an antag. Textbook newbie trap.
Yeah sure lets have it so that Pubbie McFirstGame's options default to having all antag options set to 'yes' by default and get bombarded with new rules before they even have a grasp of basic game mechanics so they can burst in the hall as blob/shoot their teammates in nuke/hatch in the bar as shadowling, promptly get fucking atomized because they have no idea what they're doing, and leave the game forever.

What are you fucking talking about

The antag system we have in place is perfect. Newbies get to play as a relatively uncomplicated crewmember up until they feel ready to try their hand at antag, and set it themselves. If they can't figure that out, they ask either in OOC, adminhelp, or IC how to cut it on, whereupon they get an answer.

Basically, if you're not good enough to know how to either set your antag to yes or ask how to do it, you shouldn't be fucking playing antag.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144927

I think Head roles are disabled for new players on the server for the X period, right? Ain't Antag roles the same? If not, they should be. The more "difficult" ones. Problem solved.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #144940

I don't see why a final solution is needed for any of this. Iteratively improving on the system is working fine, and there are plenty of antag prompts where it's fine to have a pop up looking for interested players rather than the opposite. Can you imagine if someone wanted a holoparasite and it picked 5 people, all of whom didn't want it? They'd be waiting quite a while for someone to finally agree to play for them if the system was one of rejection and not acceptance.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144948

That's a not even remotely realistic. Everyone who ghosts or suicides at around start is a powergamer and antag-fisher. You won't ever have problems getting parasite.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #144954

Well, I observe a fair bit, and I'm often not interested in these roles. I'm sure a number of people aren't. I do, however, keep my preferences for them for two reasons, (1) because I decide whether I want to or not at the time, and (2) so that I know how often these roles are coming up. I can then follow them or whatever.

Now, let's suppose that there are 20 ghosts. Of them, 15 have holoparasite toggled on. Of that, 7 are interested in playing as one, and 7 just want to watch. Of that 15, a number also aren't paying attention: they may have it open in a second screen, be having a bathroom break, having a conversation, whatever.

If the system just picks one out of the 15, it stands a good chance of selecting someone who wasn't interested. They may even be unaware they've been picked. So, either they select no immediately, or if they were afk the system waits 10 seconds to exit them from the holoparasite. They may even not notice the prompt and have wanted it, although this is perhaps less likely.

You then have to roll again. Still good chances of getting someone that didn't want it. It's not implausible that this could happen several times before holoparasite gets taken by someone that actually wanted it in the first place. Lots of people will want it, but plenty with holoparasite toggled on also won't.

This is why an opt-in toggle makes more sense. Everyone that wants one will click the button, and it therefore automatically filters out everyone that didn't want to be a holoparasite and everyone that wasn't paying attention. I can't see how your proposed system is in any way better, unless somehow pushing 'yes' on a prompt is some really bothersome task: you'll have to click 'yes' anyway, except this time you'll be pushed into the holoparasite whether you're sure about it or not.