A craftable gun that isn't shit (mostly)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
RedMcCloud
Byond Username: RedMcCloud

A craftable gun that isn't shit (mostly)

Post by RedMcCloud » #144679

If assistants can get: gibspears, spears, quite robust shields, big fuckyou cannons, slightly useful killyourself bombs, and fucking PRODS why not a single-shot rifle that requires care to reload (and lots of materials)?

EVERYONE knows how fucking shit the improvised shotgun is and how literally less than 10 people have made them since implementation because of how stupidly difficult they are to make, so now I've devised a weapon that can replace its spot as 'homemade firearm'.

CRAFTABLE MATCHLOCK
Now any assistant can pretend they're the pilgrims, coming to forge themselves a new future (lynch all the lizards) in a nanotrasen-owned station (hell)!

25 brute, creates a puff of smoke in front of you that clouds your view. Needs to be reloaded by pouring flashpowder (made from 12 matchs, a single box, essentially all the ground up heads mashed up) down the barrel, then a steel 'bullet' (steel rod + wirecutters, pretty much just a peg), and then use a match or lighter on the lock and fire it. Rinse and repeat.

And before the unevitable "durr hburr dont give assistants guns" fuck shows up, they'd have shotgun accuracy (bullet counts as a pellet and moves left or right after 4-5 tiles because unrifled barrels) and they do 25 brute, plus the fact that you wouldn't be able to simply store them in your bag (they can be slung on your back) and as such, you better have a lot of (stackable) flashpowder AND (stackable) steel bullets.

Loading two loads of flashpowder makes it so the next shot flies straight and does 40 brute, but the gun asplodes and knocks you down, doing 10 brute to your arms.
Loading three loads just makes the gun explode and do 25 damage to your arms without shooting anything.
Loading four loads gibs you when you try to shoot.
Loading a bullet before powder renders it unusable/broken so you're shit out of luck, pal.
Loading powder, a bullet, and powder again is the same as loading it thrice, same if you load powder, bullet, powder, bullet. This ain't a superimposed.

Funfact: if this became a thing (I doubt it will with how xenophobic a lot of this community is towards change unless it's their ideas only) it would actually make two basically-useless items not useless: matchboxes and fannypacks. Matchboxes make sense as they're used to make the 'powder', but fannypacks?

Fannypacks can carry small and tiny items. Flashpowder (which stacks to 5) is a tiny item. Steel bullets (which also stack to 5) is also a tiny item. Lighters are small items and don't have fuel, so you can leave them on. So now you can carry: five extra shots and something to light them with while still being able to carry around a rifle on your back and not in your disarm-able hands.

Here's a suggestion I have of my own that would give this weapon the full 18th century experience: when walking and on help intent, you shoot over whoever is touching you/an adjacent block. What this means is that you can have a group of 6 people, three in the back, three in the front, the ones in the back fire first, and reload as the ones in the front fire, giving rapid alternating fire as each group fires and reloads. It also would allow you to meatshield people which is fucking hilarious as you can pelt nuke ops with musket fire (eswords don't deflect bullets thank god) as you use other, less useful people as shields (other assistants, prisoners, the clown).

IDK what materials would be needed, but stuff that's relatively UNCOMMON, not rare, as this should be a simple weapon to get, but not so simple to use. Oh and to stop people from dual-wielding them you'd have to hold it in both hands like Colonial Marine's pulse rifles or the axe/spear.
"What the FUCK is Carbon Dioxide?" guy
I write a web serial about aliens: https://pseudofunk.wordpress.com
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: A craftable gun that isn't shit (mostly)

Post by Saegrimr » #144680

I want the gun nerds to leave.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144681

It's 2556, we live in space. And you want matchlocks...Can't you think of anything else that could be improvised within the scifi setting?

We already have the Nugget meme.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #144682

Only if it replaces mosins in goofguns. An actualy diferent gun would be cool, a real use for black powder(grinding up matches woulden't be accepted while we have it), a Danger-zone element to(i think having the bullet be a regent container that whitelists blackpowder and is crafted with a stack of paper and steel rods would be good. damage based on volume minimum of fifteen max of 35 but the rifle picks a number between 20 and 30 and if there is more powder than that it goes boom while still shooting, more than 30 and it blows up so you can leave sabotaged guns around). As for making them we have rifle butt and trigger assembly so i think zippo parts and plasteal sheets wrapped around a tube(need welding gear to shape it and a screwdriver for the rest)
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #144683

This sounds really shit but would be a good idea if it did like 30 or 35 damage and the shot didn't have buckshot accuracy. Otherwise I really really like it. If someone is willing to code it that'd be amazing.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #144686

I think the makeshift shotgun should be craftable without requiring an item that is only made in the proto-lathe

It's hard enough to get access to shells even if you do have your crappy one shot shotgun.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144688

The problem with the makeshift shotgun isn't that it needs to come out of the protolathe, it's that it needs like combat 5 to come out of the protolathe.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #144689

People make shitty pipe shotguns in real life without sophisticated science equipment, why can't we?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #144691

Why not make shitty laser guns by bundling laser pointers together (or laser components) and attaching battery instead?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #144694

Supermichael777 wrote:Only if it replaces mosins in goofguns.
I don't recall being responsible for the modin nagant being in the game, nor do I recall a goofguns PR
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #144703

Shotguns are already an interestingly varied gun type with various bits of ammunition and a good system for regulating what can and can't be fired. Rather than making a sci-fi matchlock, why not make the improvised shotgun easier to create?

Currently you need a modular receiver (combat 5 apparently, protolathe), a rifle stock (10 planks from botany), a pipe (atmospherics), and a package wrapper.

The easiest way to improve this is to make the trigger simpler and the stock of metal. Hell, if you made both in a hacked autolathe it would make sense and maybe be entertaining. If you actually want people running around with single shot guns, that is.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144705

Just make it so you don't requite a modular receiver. Bam, makeshift shotguns will actually be used. You can get a bunch of package wrappers from prime tool storage/ cargo, you can grow the rifle stock, and you can wrench up an air pipe in maint to get the pipe.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144711

Receivers can be 3dprinted today, so why can't they be 3dprinted tomorrow? Hacked autolathe for the receiver so that improv shotty could become something people use. Back in the day as a scientist I would have a blast with the improv shotty cause easy access to meteor shot rounds. Meteor shot + improv shotty = death machine
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #144718

Not derailing your thread because wew laser corgis

BUT

The general problems behind this are (saying from experience)
*that coders only code their own ideas, so unless you can code, odds of this getting merged are slim
*the materials that you need to make the gun, but still have said materials not be attainable from one spot on the station, don't exist. because the station doesn't have very much clutter.
*modifying construction components fucks up construction and is a hell of a hassle to code, because of the fact that its used in a fuck ton of recipes already

Disregarding the fact that coders are the only people able to get anything worthwhile merged, also disregarding the fact that we are at the start of a feature freeze, also disregarding the fact that the materials needed to build a matchlock are rare regardless of how you do it (you can only get wood in bulk from botany, or if you roam maint for 10 minutes, in which would only allow you to build one or two stocks), disregarding the construction of a barrel, which would require you to modify base construction components, or involve atmos, which again, is another rare item. Disregarding a trigger assembly/reciever being realistically only craftable from a proto/autholathe due to the fact that the majority of the tiny items in the game don't have components, they are just items by themseleves with no complexity, its neigh impossible to say "oh hey just throw some zippos and some screwdrivers together and boom you got a complete reciever"

Its most likely me being a ass, but we have went down this road before, i pushed this over a series of 7 threads, all of which where denied. Either because /tg/ mostly consists of millennial liberals who think guns are evil, or coders who think only their ideas are worth coding, or the simple fact that the code and materials on the station can't support homemade guns due to their complexity and resource cost.

EDIT:
You are a better man than i if you can somehow manage to get this in the game.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144744

we already have ghetto shotguns
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #144750

"""Ghetto""" shotguns that require higher tech than a SABR
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #144751

Lumbermancer wrote:Why not make shitty laser guns by bundling laser pointers together (or laser components) and attaching battery instead?
I prefer this a lot more, fits a lot better with Aesthetics too.
Also gives purpose to "steal a laserpointer" objectives.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #144752

Saegrimr wrote:I want the gun nerds to leave.
Mime: Depresso
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #144754

Why don't we just make the stock available in like cargo from the auto lathe that would solve our problems
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #144759

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Why don't we just make the stock available in like cargo from the auto lathe that would solve our problems
The problem isn't the stock (just decon the library or vacant office tables) it's the modular receiver.
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #144763

newfren wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Why don't we just make the stock available in like cargo from the auto lathe that would solve our problems
The problem isn't the stock (just decon the library or vacant office tables) it's the modular receiver.
Yeah I mean that .
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #144764

i want bolas
RedMcCloud

Post by RedMcCloud » #144793

Of course the thread becomes "we already have ghetto shotguns durr hurr"

ghetto shotguns require: a protolathe or sci access, cargo access, and combat 5 in the protolathe. That's fucking awful.

My idea was to make a gun that would be much less shit to make then the improvised shotgun while still not just being a gun any schmuck can make to murderbone with; it requires you to load it correctly and in a specific order FOR A SINGLE SHOT or else YOU EXPLODE.

The idea to make it use black powder is good except for the fact that the only time I've ever seen someone use black powder was a captain killing 5 crew mates with a grenade because he thought they were mutinying (they weren't). It just seems extremely hard to get, so that's why I had the alternative of flash powder.

A homemade laser rifle/pistol/musket (fo4 normies get out) is also a great idea, but this is the thread for a musket, not a laser rifle.

Here's my idea for its crafting specs:
Wooden stock
Steel pipe
Cable ties
Igniter
Screwdriver

Use steel pipe on wooden stock to slot them together, use cable ties to tie it down, screw igniter and attach it to gun, screw gun to finish it

Or just use tablecrafting
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #144794

or just make shotguns not useless to make since they are already in
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144799

That would work too. Just make it so they don't require a modular receiver after the freeze is over and they'll be fine.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144801

Shaps wrote:"""Ghetto""" shotguns that require higher tech than a SABR
what the fuck
somebody should report this as a github issue so it can be changed despite the freeze because that's fucking dumb
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
RedMcCloud

Post by RedMcCloud » #144808

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Shaps wrote:"""Ghetto""" shotguns that require higher tech than a SABR
what the fuck
somebody should report this as a github issue so it can be changed despite the freeze because that's fucking dumb
I remember asking about that a while ago.

Somebody told me it was because 'the only use for the improvised shotgun is to test out craftable shells'

Wat
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146907

John_Oxford wrote: *that coders only code their own ideas, so unless you can code, odds of this getting merged are slim

coders are the only people able to get anything worthwhile merged,

Its most likely me being a ass, but we have went down this road before, i pushed this over a series of 7 threads, all of which where denied. Either because /tg/ mostly consists of millennial liberals who think guns are evil, or coders who think only their ideas are worth coding, or the simple fact that the code and materials on the station can't support homemade guns due to their complexity and resource cost.
It has nothing to do with coders only coding their own ideas and everything to do with how much of a pain in the ass BYOND code is

I can point out a number of things (dehydrated spaaaaaace carp, deep-fryers and custom sandwiches, chef ice-cream machine, cargo points for botany mutant seeds, nukeop pet spaaaaaace carp that is actually a bat) that were coded by coders who got the idea from someone else. But, those were all simple things, whereas gunsmithing/matchlocks is a complicated thing.

Coders are only- no, fuck that, this isn't a coder thing, this is a people thing.

PEOPLE are only willing to put in a bunch of effort on a thing if they think they'll REALLY LIKE the results. Coding something complex, like gunsmithing or matchlocks, requires a BUNCH OF EFFORT. Thus, unless a coder is REALLY REALLY INTO GUNS and REALLY REALLY LIKES the gun-related idea, he/she wont' code it.

/TG/station is on open-source development, people really need to realize that coders are no more a unified entity then Congres.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #146909

gunsmithing is on my todo list
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146910

iamgoofball wrote:gunsmithing is on my todo list
drynwyn suplexes iamgoofball, just because he can!
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.