Firefighter ripley improvements

A place to record your ideas for the game.
vorenigga69

Firefighter ripley improvements

Post by vorenigga69 » #9525

These were suggested a long time ago, back on the old forums.

1) Give firefighter ripleys fire alert access, the same as AI and its underlings have.

2) Make it so that firefighter ripleys have a special 'fire response' mode, where their step-speed is reduced to 1.75 (a little faster than odysseus, for reference) and each step consumes 3x normal power. This mode is only available when the station has a fire alert.

Firefighter ripleys cannot get to fires anywhere near as fast as people on foot or even an odysseus with a mech extinguisher can. This is silly given they are supposed to be the dedicated firefighting mech, and given they are the hardest non-combat mech to make, and given that their utility is incredibly situational (and they should thus be good at it.)
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Firefighter ripley improvements

Post by paprika » #9529

What would be the point of building a normal ripley, again?

I honestly think instead of a ripley, the firefighter APLU should just be a reskinned ody. Move speed, extinguishers, fire resistance, plus sleepers for those burn victims.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
vorenigga69

Post by vorenigga69 » #9534

paprika wrote:What would be the point of building a normal ripley, again?

I honestly think instead of a ripley, the firefighter APLU should just be a reskinned ody. Move speed, extinguishers, fire resistance, plus sleepers for those burn victims.
You don't need to go steal plasteel from engineering or EVA. If you think their construction costs are too similar, that's a different issue, but as it is now firefighters are completely pointless despite being more tedious to make.

It's not a bad idea to combine the firefighter and odysseus roles. A dedicated firefighting mech is kinda dumb when plasma fires hullbreach and burn themselves out, unlike their old persistent selves.

It would be nice to have some atmos tools for firefighters, also, for fixing the molten-hot air or vacuum after a fire's out. Maybe let them interface with gas canisters.
Last edited by vorenigga69 on Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9537

Ripley:
max_temperature = 20000
health = 200

Firefighter:
max_temperature = 65000
health = 250
lights_power = 8
damage_absorption = list("fire"=0.5,"bullet"=0.8,"bomb"=0.5)

Uhhh
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
vorenigga69

Post by vorenigga69 » #9538

paprika wrote:Ripley:
max_temperature = 20000
health = 200

Firefighter:
max_temperature = 65000
health = 250
lights_power = 8
damage_absorption = list("fire"=0.5,"bullet"=0.8,"bomb"=0.5)

Uhhh
What?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9541

That's code, it's not exactly hard to read either, but it basically proves everything you said wrong. I'll let you figure it out. I agree they're slow as shit though.
vorenigga69

Post by vorenigga69 » #9551

paprika wrote:That's code, it's not exactly hard to read either, but it basically proves everything you said wrong. I'll let you figure it out. I agree they're slow as shit though.
How does 25% more health, higher heat resistance (which is pointless regardless of the fire), ~10% better damage absorption (so let's say 35% more health) and slightly better floodlights in any way prove everything I say wrong? Firefighter ripleys cannot use their 35% more health or better floodlights to respond to fires in a reasonable amount of time, and they can't fix the air afterward.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #9565

Most stations start with only 5 plastisteel in robotics, so unless you raid engieland/EVA or (ha) get miners to brave the depths and actually give you materials...
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
MrMindless
Byond Username: MrMindless

Post by MrMindless » #9715

the problem with plasteel is that currently there is no real way for miners to create it. Before the mining update there was plenty of plasma and the smelter was still used so you could easily smelt some plasma and metal together to form plasteel. However the ore redemption machine does NOT have the option to create plasteel which means it'll never get made anymore.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #9777

Ten plasteel is in robotics on sybil. Enough to make one ody and one ripley, without much outside help.

But yeah, firefighter mechs are...pointless. And it's not as though fires aren't worth fighting, or as though those mechs can't be made quick enough to respond to it.

Changing this seems obvious now you mention it.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9831

Why not make the firefighter a modified ody with a bit more health instead then?
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #9880

I like firefighters as an upgraded RIPLY...
Can we just make them faster with more health and less equipment slots?
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10110

>faster ripley

That's an ody already.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #10694

Odys dont look as good, and cant use clamps, can they?

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #10844

I think instead of more individual versions of Mechs, the existing ones should have equipment that can be swapped in for different uses, and a firefighter version would fit in nicely with this.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Mono
Byond Username: Mon0

Post by Mono » #12714

paprika wrote:I honestly think instead of a ripley, the firefighter APLU should just be a reskinned ody. Move speed, extinguishers, fire resistance, plus sleepers for those burn victims.
Spoiler:
Mono was Sweeny Thyme (survived)
Objective #1: Make an example out of those who would harm the station's innocent animals. Success!
Objective #2: Do not kill them. Success!
The traitor was successful!

DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "assistants are to space stations as badgers are to the animal kingdom"
DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "too many badgers and they'd take over the world"

OOC: Arkire: Wizards, please obey the wizardly bushido code of honour in the future, so as to avoid hurting the feelings of the people you're allowed - and encouraged - to kill. I suggest falling on your staff and being impaled in order to appease them
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #12725

Both ripley and firefighter are fucking useless and are only good for drilling walls and airlocks.

Oh and also for locking unlucky people inside lockers in the cargo storage of mech
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #12877

They /where/ very good for mining, mined out a 3x1 area and (if you had a ore box in storage) stored it automatically.

Also, they are EXCEEDINGLY good for clearing departments of slimes.

iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #14689

Yeah, but with the changes to mesons, and the presence of monsters, ripleys are useless for mining. you have to hop in and out to check your mineral scanner, and the ripley can't even take down a single goliath 1v1. it is a fucking joke
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #14714

AseaHeru wrote:They /where/ very good for mining, mined out a 3x1 area and (if you had a ore box in storage) stored it automatically.

Also, they are EXCEEDINGLY good for clearing departments of slimes.
Even before changes they were too fucking slow to mine quickly. That's not even my opinion, by the way, I heard it from mining players, but I tend to agree. Unless you just leave it on the spot and drag the crate yourself, but for the amount of time it takes to bring the bloody thing to the mining and to the good spot you could mine all the things in the world.