THE SAND PLAGUE - new game mode

A place to record your ideas for the game.
RedMcCloud
Byond Username: RedMcCloud

THE SAND PLAGUE - new game mode

Post by RedMcCloud » #145737

A possible game mode that's kinda like a hybrid of blob and zombies.

"An evolution of the bubonic plague, the sand plague targets living creatures specifically, infecting them and causing their skin to bubble and wart, and them to gain a horrible cough. Contact with a plague-infested individual infects the person who touched them, but the symptoms of the infection are not apparent."

"Early warning signs include: dizziness, loss of direction, and 'the feeling of thousands of screaming voices piercing your mind'. After a period of time, the infection grows in the afflicted, slowing their movement speed and causing the voices in their head to get progressively louder. At this point infection can be spread to another individual, though only through the blood (scratching or punching), and even then it has a low chance. After another, much shorter period of time, the disease evolves into its final form. The infected gain a shambling movement speed, and whenever they grab a non-infected individual, they cough on them and spread the disease through their spittle."

"This may all seem horrible, but the disease has one boone: As soon as the infected person dies, the disease vanishes from their body without a trace, allowing it to be moved safely without protective equipment."

"However, the most visibly disturbing quality of the plague is that it causes a strange reddish-brown 'meat moss' to grow over the walls and flooring of the station. The meat moss has no effect on a person, but dims the lights around the cluster and spreads when in the vicinity of an infected individual. Meat moss can be destroyed by the use of fire."

"In order to defeat the plague, multiple skin samples must be taken from the infected, who have to be alive for the virus to be in their system, before being analyzed (citation needed) by the virologist/CMO and medical staff if the virologist is not available. Once a vaccine is created and 'advanced' enough to combat and destroy the disease in a person without hurting them severely and is spread among the crew, the disease is exterminated. If seventy-five percent of the living crew is infected, the disease wins."

Ever play Pathologic? if not, do so. This game mode is based off the notorious 'Sand Plague' from that game, a disease that infects the nameless town the game takes place in district by district, killing hundreds of people daily. This 'adaptation' lessens the threat of the disease, but still makes it quite potent.

The round would start with, say, four people infected by the disease. They would be afflicted by the early symptoms (stopping to collect themselves, strange bouts of fatigue, and even stranger noises coming from seemingly nowhere (not ingame)) and would go along their daily lives until the disease evolves into its second phase. At this point, they can infect people by punching them, but their speed is slowed and they are visibly infected if you examine their mask-less face ('Their skin seems to pulsate and bubble!'). In exchange, they gain some stun resistance and brute resistance. Once the disease progresses to the final stage, they have their speed massively gimped, but in return get a large amount of brute resistance and become visibly infected and the ability to infect people by aggressively grabbing them, which is a instant infection versus punching, which would only have a chance plus get you beaten to death, probably. Stage three infected can't be tased, you need to disable them instead.

The infected can only talk in faint voices...like...this...

If you are infected, a message in red lettering flashes across your status bar saying "You feel like you've contracted something awful."

Infected are still considered human unless a changed law removes that status.

Recently killed plague victims emit a cloud of plague or two above/around their corpse. If someone steps through that cloud, they have a 50/50 chance of being infected. If you walk, you bypass the cloud completely. Plague clouds take three minutes to disappear, be them from corpses or meat moss. This is to stop murderboning of the plague victims, as slashing/beating one to death has the chance of causing a plague cloud to pop out RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU! Lasers and bullets are fine though.

Cargo can order 'cloth cloaks' which shield the wearer from one attempted infection, and if you ARE infected wearing them, they get stuck to you by your pus-squirting, sweat-stained skin, and cannot be removed until after the disease has left your system. These would cost only 10 supply points and not need any sort of ID to open, and come with five cloaks each. Cloaks fit into the exo suit slot, so you can still have backpacks/satchels/duffelbags on.

An upgrade to the cloth cloaks would be the 'heavy cloaks', which completely enshroud the wearer, stunt their movement speed like a hardsuit would, but can withstand FOUR attempted infections before becoming visually dirtied and rendered useless. Costs 25 supply points, and come with three heavy cloaks and three 'claw masks', which do nothing but look like bulkier plague doctor masks (because that's what they are). Also allows you to cosplay as an Executor from Pathologic so that's cool. Fits in your backpack slot. Claw masks can't be used as internals.

Meat moss can be spawned by an infected person, and as long as any infected individual is within four blocks of it (walls block it), it will spread, but they can manually spread it if they want. Meat moss dims lights and gives a slight speed decrease to whoever walks over it, but it mainly sticks to the walls, rusting them. Meat moss can also corrode lights if it touches them, making them barely usable (like, the block they're in has a little light, and the blocks around it have little to none) but not destroying them entirely (they still have to be replaced). The most dangerous thing about meat moss, however, is that it has a SMALL CHANCE of spawning a 'plague cloud', which, if walked through, cannot infect you. Imagine them to be flying wetted tiles, so watch out in maintenance!.

Fully infected have limited night vision (things appear a little dark when in pitch black but you can still see) in order for them to help surprise individuals. They can also not use their hands for things other than: hugging (has a minuscule chance of trying to spread infection but it can be done rapidly) and grabbing (consistently spreads infection when someone is aggressively grabbed).

Skin/tissue samples are needed to help create a vaccine, and you use one of two special machines called 'Diluters', one inside the CMO's office and the easiest to get, and one in the Viro's sex dungeon/lab, which take the skin samples and either:

A)Use them to make the current level, single-use vaccine (costs two skin samples for level one, one for level two and three, and none for level four)
B)Use them to 'level up' the machine (costs four for level one, five for level two, six for level three, and seven for level four; that's twenty-two total)
C)Eat two and go into crit from toxins in exchange for the disease being rid from your system (quite costly, I must say)

Samples can be taken multiple times from infected, hitting an infected with a scalpel, kitchen knife, or even rarely the glass shard can cause an infected to drop a skin sample, but the real meat is from killing one and taking three skin samples from one by butchering it (it doesn't destroy the corpse).

Vaccines:
Vaccine LVL. 1: Causes 15 brute to each of your bodyparts and 25 toxin damage but cleans you of the disease.
Vaccine LVL. 2: Causes 12 brute to each of your bodyparts and 20 toxin damage but cleans you of the disease.
Vaccine LVL. 3: Causes 10 brute to each of your bodyparts and 15 toxin damage but cleans you of the disease.
(FREE ONCE RESEARCHED) Vaccine LVL. 4: Causes 5 brute to each of your bodyparts and 10 toxin damage but cleans you of the disease.
Two tissue samples: Causes 5 brute to each of your bodyparts and 75 toxin damage but cleans you of the disease.

Diluters cannot be deconstructed or moved.

Bodies of the fully infected, if dragged without gloves, WILL infect you, no matter if you're wearing either of the cloaks. Wear those gloves, people.

Bodies of the infected after they're died and the infection has left their corpse after a short time period (five minutes sounds about right), they can be cloned. If you put them into the scanner before the disease escapes their body however, the cloner will not be able to scan them because of the amounts of 'errant brain activity' scattered across them. This is no ordinary plague. It speaks for itself.

Now, some of the more keen of you might have noticed that, "Hey wait, I can't immediately just eliminate the threat in a few seconds upon realization it's a plague round like I can on a blob, Hand of God, Cult, or etc?".

You can beat cultists and Hoggers to death. You can torch the blob as soon as you spot it.
But what if your enemy is incorporeal? What if it has no visible form?

"But wait, considering that we need skin cells, people will have to die!"
That's the point. People have to attack infected and risk being infected themselves in order to help save everyone else. Having an enemy that you can eliminate within five minutes of a round starting is stupid.

So what will it be, crew? Either flamethrower everything and cleanse the disease through fire and flame at the cost of massive casualties and one pretty pissed AI? Or use cunning and science to make a vaccine to administer through syringes (hopefully you have a few syringe guns laying around by now) aimed at the infected, and rejoice as they shrug off their rags and help you administer more of the antidote?

And remember:

You can't save everyone.

RULES:
1) Infected cannot attack other infected and cannot willingly aid the uninfected in creating a cure UNLESS they are only in the first stage of the infection. Once they hit the second stage they have gone slightly mad, and are more interested in spreading the plague than helping destroy it. Stage threes can't help either for obvious reasons.
2) Infected cannot kill people; the point is to have the disease take over the station, not murderbone everyone in sight because 'hurr durr I'm infected that means I'm a team antag now". No. Being infected means you have lost your sanity to the pain. All you want is to violently hug someone, but not kill them!
3) Because infected count still as humans, killing them counts as M U R D E R. Mercy-killing, maybe, but to an Asimov AI they are all still humans, as they are. Just because you got a cold doesn't mean you are suddenly the cold.
4) RUNNING AROUND SLAUGHTERING PLAGUE VICTIMS IS SHITTY!!! The best course of action would be to quarantine them and send in people wearing heavy cloaks to (violently stab) collect samples from them and return with said samples. Killing everyone would just leave plague clouds all over the place, which would in turn infect MORE people because they run through one, oh whoops I'm infected now, better go start to punch people as soon as I hit level two in my infection. If you see someone just killing every single plague victim, ahelp it.

I spent like 3 hours typing this out with my fingers essentially frostbitten. I will bump the FUCK out of this thread as I am super proud of all my work in it. I don't care if coderbus doesn't want to implement new game modes because they didn't make them, this one is unique.

IDEAS FOR CHANGES/EDITS ARE APPRECIATED!!!
"What the FUCK is Carbon Dioxide?" guy
I write a web serial about aliens: https://pseudofunk.wordpress.com
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: THE SAND PLAGUE - new game mode

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145755

I don't like sand. It's coarse...rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #145756

Nothing can be worse than blob, so why not. Also remove Revenant.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #145758

maybe as an event. also changing the rules about how antagonists work is a generaly decent idea making them not infinitely valid for a start(this is already technically true as it is antagonistic action that is usually considered, not actual status.) otherwise completely rewriting virus code would be cool(viruses as reagents might be good if you turned purgative chems into a pair of variables and just gave virus an annihilation reaction with a cure catalyst and made them multiply when processed. cuold even have custom virus clouds then)
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #145806

>Diluter
>New protective outfits

Snowflake code. Snowflake code everywhere.
Mime: Depresso
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #145818

I haven't read the massive wall of text yet, but I really like the idea of an epidemic-based gamemode
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #145819

Luke Cox wrote:I haven't read the massive wall of text yet, but I really like the idea of an epidemic-based gamemode
so, monkeymode? Kappa
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #145821

Global Twitch Emotes extension is SUCH a good download tbh, it even works in BYond.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #145833

Zilenan91 wrote:Global Twitch Emotes extension is SUCH a good download tbh, it even works in BYond.
haha fuck yeah dude, i'm rockin' it here too
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #145837

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:I haven't read the massive wall of text yet, but I really like the idea of an epidemic-based gamemode
so, monkeymode? Kappa
I don't like Jungle Fever because there's a rapid onset of symptoms, and it turns you into a shittier version of yourself. I want an epidemic that spreads like real ones, by coming into contact with people that have it, sharing food an drinks, IVs in medbay, etc. Virologists would actually have to quarantine them and try to make a cure
RedMcCloud

Post by RedMcCloud » #146017

CosmicScientist wrote:Do you know if you're officially infected (besides symptoms) before you're on the plague's side? What stops the infected from running to medbay as soon as they realise the round's plague? Are they officially given some kind of traitor text at roundstart?

This seems a bit like monkey... but thought out.

If you want people to not murderbone, you could set up a number of crew objectives... maybe:
  • 0% infection, 70+% alive: crew major victory (not counting braindeads).
  • 0% infection, <70% alive: crew minor victory.
  • <20% alive at any point: crew and plague failure.
  • No uninfected heads of staff && >80% infected of those alive: plague victory (Centcom/Nanotrasen are giving up on the station given the lack of leadership and workforce to justify digging into their pocket).
So players feel compelled to keep characters alive?

Why is the mask called a claw when it looks like a beak?

The vaccines are amusing.

I don't understand plague clouds, if you step through the cloud, you have a coin flip for being infected... but if you walk (go slower? Meaning you spend more time in the cloud?) you don't get infected?

Could all your clothes become stuck to you so we don't have a special rule just for those cloaks? It'd be amusing for players to hog spacesuits and the like.
The claw mask thing was a direct translation from the game so IDK, but your ideas behind round win/lose conditions are really good.

The plague cloud thing is more of a way to get through them if they're blocking a one tile wide maint hall then anything else, but walking through them can be taken as you're skillfully maneuvering through it as you hold your breath, not barreling through it huffing and puffing as you sprint and inhaling it.

The problem with making all the clothing that you wear over you getting stuck to you is that you need a visual indicator that the person is infected, and the idea is that the sprites of the cloaks would change and become dirty when they're useless/attached to someone permanently. Having to make new sprites for dirty plague-infected clothing would be quite hellish.

I was thinking that at round start the people chosen as plague carriers would be given a text warning and they'd see icons over other infected people's heads like rev or gang, and also told that they are for example terrorists who have purposely infected themselves with the sand plague in an attempt to eliminate the station covertly, and as such can't just immediately go and get themselves cured.
RedMcCloud

Post by RedMcCloud » #146378

bump he
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #146487

Just gonna be honest, this is a cool idea, but it's not really going to happen on /tg/. The sheer amount of sprites, hours, and basically everything else that would be required to go into this would be insane.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #146554

New game modes require a good idea (sure, this sounds alright), a hell of a lot of work coding/spriting, and then rigorous playtesting. The best game modes spend months in open development even after they're in a releasable state. Many game modes are never done: cult, for example, has remakes every few months.

If Jazz isn't prepared to do this, it's hard to imagine why someone else would be. They can just code the things they're interested in instead. It's the same thing that really hindered gunsmithing and probably countless other ideas. Interest in the idea is not the same as interest in coding, at least when it requires such a lot of work.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #180876

What a terrible idea
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #180887

What an entirely necessary necro to give an opinion on a thing everyone forgot about
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #180899

Remove necrodancer
RedMcCloud

Post by RedMcCloud » #181023

Mackerel is just bein a meme, let them be (shit)
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #181029

THIS CONVERSION GAMEMODE SHIT HAS GOT TO BE A FUCKING RUNNING JOKE AT THIS POINT
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #181032

Anonmare wrote:Remove necrodancer
no don't it's a good game
私は完璧
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #181076

>check thread
>"oh hey coder replied maybe this sand thing will become real"
>actually just defending a completely different game
:honkman:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #181079

Coders: Disappointing you at every turn!
私は完璧
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #183203

>Give viro an actual gamemode
Yes I fully support this.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #183239

i came here to shitpost but found out i already shitposted 5 months ago

necroposting should be a tannable offense butter up this fucker and leave him in the sun