Bold names/job titles in chat & linkified AI door requests

A place to record your ideas for the game.
drunkas
Byond Username: Drunkas

Bold names/job titles in chat & linkified AI door requests

Post by drunkas » #151620

So players can more easily keep track of when they're referred to in the chat window. Their first and last names would be bolded, as well as the various terms for their job position. It'd be especially helpful for those with bad eyesight.

As for the AI, turning "AI door" and its various alternatives into links that open the nearest door would save a lot of clicking.

Adding tracking links to names in PDA messages would be nice too.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Bold names/job titles in chat & linkified AI door reques

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #151621

I think this is too far in terms of user friendliness, you should have to pay attention to what people say, it's a bit dumb to have huge hints and arrows telling you that someone is trying to speak to you.
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #151622

Well... You do actually get these people who never seem to notice that you are speaking to them, especially a security.

Then they start screaming ICly, ADMIN HELP! and ADMINS GONNA BAN YOU WTF! When you bust them for being stupid.
drunkas
Byond Username: Drunkas

Post by drunkas » #151623

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I think this is too far in terms of user friendliness, you should have to pay attention to what people say, it's a bit dumb to have huge hints and arrows telling you that someone is trying to speak to you.
Well there's the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_party_effect for the humans, and it makes sense that the AI can automatically parse certain terms and create commands from them.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #151669

Wikipedia wrote: Visual correlates
Some research has demonstrated that the cocktail party effect may not be simply an auditory phenomenon, and that relevant effects can be obtained when testing visual information as well. For example, Shapiro et al. were able to demonstrate an "own name effect" with visual tasks, where subjects were able to easily recognize their own names when presented as unattended stimuli. They adopted a position in line with late selection models of attention such as the Treisman or Deutsch-Normal models, suggesting that early selection would not account for such a phenomenon. The mechanisms by which this effect might occur were left unexplained.
Kek
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
neersighted
Byond Username: Neersighted
Github Username: neersighted

Post by neersighted » #151697

In terms of actual code this is pretty difficult. When I rewrite the output control I plan to add highlighting of arbitrary strings.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #152124

Adminhelps parse names, ckeys and such already. It isn't a difficult problem to solve, assuming the number of things it checks for is low, since it IS an O(n*m) process, n being the number of words in the statement and m being the number of words to compare with. If you want to compare phrases you just compare each word in the string with the first word of each entry in the list of things you are searching for, if it matches, then you see if the rest of the string matches.

I however don't think this would be overly helpful, and could potentially result in the loss of cover. For example, if the list to check for updated to reflect the current set of ingame names, then someone dying or them becoming "unknown" or changing name through genetics, could result in their name no longer appearing bolded. The reverse would apply if only the starting names were kept, then if someone used a gas mask with a made up name, it wouldn't be bolded.

Something like this could become as damning a test as beating someone up to near-death to check if they are a rev or not (ah the good old days).
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.