Remove the Gulag

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Re: Remove the Gulag

Post by TheTerbs » #13331

Bottom post of the previous page:

Lovecraft wrote:Yes
I even remove pens and papers from perma as well as soap
Why should a player be allowed to have fun as an antagonist when I'm Security
Because its video games
you're gonna carry that weight
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #13332

Steelpoint wrote:The biggest problem with the Perma Wing as it stands if that it ends someone's round for what may well be several hours.
It's not a problem, it's what it's designed for.

Prison is not a happy place with stuff to do. If you greytide - we end your round. No doing fun stuff for you. Prison shouldn't be desirable, prison should be punishing.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #13335

Prison is very much so a happy place with fun things to do

If you dont have shit to do in prison people go insane and eat their own shit

In prison we had games to play, cards, tv, books, exercise, and most of all the guards didn't give a shit, they were almost like lifeguards they just sat on their block tower and did nothing

You can end someone's round and give them something mundane to do, isn't putting someone in a room where they get bored and kill themselves a rule 1 violation? I mean this place is much less tolerant to dicks unlike before so Perma should change to suit that
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #13337

Prison is essentially going brain dead, as that is what happens 90% of the time in my experience.

Think of a new Gulag as life after death, your basically dead to the round but you have something to do. Its an improvement.

What I hope to do is essentially create a mini-sandbox for prisoners where they can't escape (Unless they used the Uplink Implant) so it achieves the same effect of execution or permaing.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #13338

TheTerbs wrote:isn't putting someone in a room where they get bored and kill themselves a rule 1 violation?
Exactly how much thought went into this
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #13339

Steelpoint wrote:Prison is essentially going brain dead, as that is what happens 90% of the time in my experience.

Think of a new Gulag as life after death, your basically dead to the round but you have something to do. Its an improvement.

What I hope to do is essentially create a mini-sandbox for prisoners where they can't escape (Unless they used the Uplink Implant) so it achieves the same effect of execution or permaing.
Exactly, I mean imagine its a 3 hour ling traitor round and you get random checked ten minutes in, under usual circumstances this is buttmad rage because you got caught by sec officer dicknose completely randomly, now with new Perma, you go to the gulag and work in a mine/refinery, legends of a wish granter eminate from the halls, it's littered with blood and corpses an suicide notes, you clear out the bodies and put up some walls, make some new beds and spend that round making yourself at home, when others get sent there you share the legend of the wish granter, the next hour is spent digging the tunnels, returning to smoke and eat, after digging for what feels like eternity you strike it, a bright light blinds you and you have the choice of starting a colony and becoming the gulag czar with ceremonial dress and crown and essentially a geck, or leaving your brothers to escape to a decrepit space station for a hope to make it back, you only get one. Or you dont find anything at all, which you probably won't
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #13340

Steelpoint wrote:Prison is essentially going brain dead, as that is what happens 90% of the time in my experience.

Instead of creating something to do for victims of parapen+c4 you want to create something to do for the criminals?

Well that sure as hell makes a lot of sense. Not.
TheTerbs wrote:you get random checked ten minutes in, under usual circumstances this is buttmad rage because you got caught by sec officer dicknose completely randomly
That's absolutely separate problem. It has nothing to do with the prisons. By default, people in prison deserve it. The fact that you may get there because shit happened doesn't mean that we should change it.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #13342

The problem is that parapen c4 exist

But I mean hey we could just have everyone respawn in the gulag.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #13347

Dude, perma is meant to be game over, its meant to suck.
Stop trying to babby it.

I'd rather we get stuff for ghosts to do, like respawning as a MoMMI
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #13348

Malkevin wrote:Dude, perma is meant to be game over, its meant to suck.
Stop trying to babby it.

I'd rather we get stuff for ghosts to do, like respawning as a MoMMI
Everything else is pretty fucking babbied already, whats so babby about hard labor
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #13380

Why not place new gulag where the old t-com sat is (Z-3)? Not like it's really being used for anything anyway.

Could also purpose the old teleporter there too, that way there's a different method of transporting prisoners rather instead a shuttle. Would also provide a chance of something going horribly wrong, buwhahaha.
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #13396

Oh god.

So I had this horrible idea for the most oppressive hellhole of a gulag ever.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/7nu ... /gulag.png

A warden/officer would sit on the chair to open the airlocks for a prisoner who's placed on that first conveyor behind a windoor. They would talk to the prisoner, making sure they understand their sentencing, and ask if they had any last requests. If the prisoner gets rowdy, you activate the flashers and send him through via the conveyors. Still fleshing it out more, but I should have a rough version of the whole thing done relatively quickly.

Updating as I progress
Last edited by ShizCalev on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage
>Be ling
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #13397

Keep going, Shiz.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #13399

Permabrig/gulag is supposed to be punishment for the character, there's no reason it can't be fun for the player.
Well... it shouldn't be *too* fun, or it'll remove the tension of being an antagonist. The current mining camp situation sounds about right.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #13406

Police batons are OP.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #13415

Drat, was hoping nobody would notice, hahaha.

Updated my previous post's WIP. I'm debating over whether to go back to a shuttle based transport or not, mostly because I've been having shit luck when it comes to radiation sickness when using a teleporter.

Edit: Moving my prison sat over to this thread: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=694
ImageImage
>Be ling
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13688

There is a "Wish Granter" in the map editor and code, however it seems to just give you a whole bunch of Genetic powers, turns you into a "Avatar of the Wish Granter" and gives you the objective to hijack the emergency escape shuttle.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #13708

Can hulks still tk punch people to death through walls via xray, whilst standing in space
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #13738

Rolan7 wrote:Permabrig/gulag is supposed to be punishment for the character, there's no reason it can't be fun for the player..
This is what some people here can't seem to get.

"Oh you're an antag, you got antag. I'm a sec, I can't get antag. I'm now going to leave you dead in a room bucklecuffed with nothing to do for the rest of the round."

Really, bucklecuffing? What do you think I'm going to do to escape without help anyways?

Really with execution you seem to be acknowledging them far more than bucklecuffing someone in perma and ignoring them forever. I mean, I really really tried the first few times I got in perma to actually do something minorly interesting. Being a ghost is far more entertaining, especially with bucklecuffs.
Lovecraft wrote:Yes
I even remove pens and papers from perma as well as soap
Removing paper is actually not even powergamey, it's just stupid.
Lovecraft wrote:Why should a player be allowed to have fun as an antagonist when I'm Security
"Oh you're an antag, you got antag. I'm a sec, I can't get antag. I'm now going to leave you dead in a room bucklecuffed with nothing to do for the rest of the round."

"I chose a role that couldn't get fun stuff so I'm going to punish you for getting the chance to do fun stuff and actually trying it out."

People wonder why antags do boring or easy things.

Just to reiterate again, what you literally just said is you're going to intentionally remove as much chance of fun from my round because you chose Security officer.
TheTerbs wrote:shitcurity
Da Rulez - Rule 1 wrote:We’re all here to have a good time. If you’re intentionally trying to ruin everyone else’s good time, you won’t have a place here.
Back on topic:

Is perma supposed to be super fun? No, Rolan has a point, you can't have a paradise in there. But a renovated gulag is something to do, someplace to be nasty, someplace for yet another small opportunity to roleplay.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #13746

Cipher3 wrote:
Rolan7 wrote:Permabrig/gulag is supposed to be punishment for the character, there's no reason it can't be fun for the player..

Really, bucklecuffing? What do you think I'm going to do to escape without help anyways?

Really with execution you seem to be acknowledging them far more than bucklecuffing someone in perma and ignoring them forever. I mean, I really really tried the first few times I got in perma to actually do something minorly interesting. Being a ghost is far more entertaining, especially with bucklecuffs.
You would have a good point if there wasn't a suicide>succumb and ghost commands.

And sec doesn't execute people because its not worth the hassle of dealing with the admins... or worse - the AI.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #13751

my favorite thing on earth is when i would get a perma buddy and he would kill himself as soon as he got there

yeah fun

so fun

also: license plate maker

11 character limit spaces allowed

relic of the old age

so they can print out like 50 plates and put "fuk u sec" everywhere
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #13788

Malkevin wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:

You would have a good point if there wasn't a suicide>succumb and ghost commands.

And sec doesn't execute people because its not worth the hassle of dealing with the admins... or worse - the AI.
I'm certainly not denying the suicide and ghost commands. But perma right now is effectively the same as execution without any of the red tape for Security - you're still removing them from the round and any chance of them doing anything at all without extenuating circumstances. So they have an easy way to get around the restrictions because nobody's going to sit around for half an hour to an hour and hope.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #13823

People don't seem to have much trouble getting others out of the round as antags, but when security does it, it's suddenly not okay?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13847

I would like some feedback on the progress I've made on the "new!" gulag thus far. Do note that I've mainly only done the primary layout and bare essentials, the aesthetic design comes later. Progress has been slow due to real life.

Security Gulag: I'm pretty happy with this so far, not much left to add aside from the usual powernet/atmo and other.
Spoiler:
Security to Base Hallway: The connection hallway between the Security Gulag and the Gulag itself, happy with it so far. Its as long as the screenshot shows.
Spoiler:
Gulag Cargo Bay: Intend to expand, should show more signs of being abandoned. Need to flesh things out heavily.
Spoiler:
Gulag Personnel Quarters: Very iffy on this one.
Spoiler:
I intend to hide little things around the place such as food, cigarettes and other little things, food is not easy to come by. More valuable items are hiding in the vast mining system to the east.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #13850

Steelpoint wrote:...
Not sure if you planned to, but it'd be nice to see newscasters and (receive only?) intercoms, maybe a holopad. Maybe paper. Not sure. I've been awake for more than a day.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #13862

Add the food and stuff as spawners so that people aren't going to know what's there before they even get there
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13866

@ leibniz
Seems like a neat idea, I do intend to add a special intercom to the Gulag that lets the prisoners (attempt to) communicate with the Gulag Sec Officer/Warden's Office.

@ Malkevin
I intended to have food scattered around the place and hidden with no dispensers, having it as a spawner seems even better! I'll look into that.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13881

I've started expanding into the shaft's, my idea is to seperate the asteroid into two areas.

- The West field will be mostly entirely mapped out via a layer of pre-made tunnels, it will be mostly lit up, low yield items such as food, ciggerates or one or two tools may be found in here with low end minerals.

- The East field will be somewhat mapped out, more dark, however it will be infested with a colony of Hivebots and other dangerous creatures, those who can brave the East field may find more lucrative items such as better food, clothing and other items. Higher end minerals spawn here.

(I chose Hivebots since they, while deadly, die easily to a pick axe or a few punches. However the good stuff will be in or near large concentrations of Hivebots)

I redid the upper right Quarters room away from a fitness room to a mini-medical bay. Very limited items with only 2 working sleepers, a broken Cryo Tube, useless surgical table and one Bruise/Ointment pack.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #14005

aw yeee

its good
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #14129

Moved my Gulag map thing to a new thread.

http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=712
Braindude

Post by Braindude » #14186

Make a plaque in the entrance

"Built by Terbus Pugley the Third, CEO of Terbal Tech and creator of the famous critically acclaimed Terbus Drink Dispenser"
I play apple ringer

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #14207

Overt player references tend to be disliked on /tg/ code which is where I intend to deploy this initially. What I can do is a plaque with the following text...

"TerbMineral Co. Mining Outpost #23-B. Operational on 2549" (Current year is 2554 lore wise)
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #14208

Steelpoint wrote:Overt player references tend to be disliked on /tg/ code which is where I intend to deploy this initially. What I can do is a plaque with the following text...

"TerbMineral Co. Mining Outpost #23-B. Operational on 2549" (Current year is 2554 lore wise)
Can it be terbal tech mining outpost c:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #14210

Either way works, really though the references should be as subtle as possible.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #14211

Steelpoint wrote:Either way works, really though the references should be as subtle as possible.
Thank you based steelpoint