Tidally locked planet & Iceland (no not that iceland)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Tidally locked planet & Iceland (no not that iceland)

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #169373

Hello. Before we dive in let me quickly iterate to you the concept of a 'Tidally locked planet'

A tidally locked planet is one that's held in a state of suspension in which one face perpetually faces the sun and the other is eternally dark and also almost subzero cold
A wiki link to explain things better than i could scientifically

Basically, slightly pushing the defined lavaland lore aside for a second, this would throw out the mysterous and uninteractable necropolis gate for instead a large cave opening. Passing through would transport you to the planets other side, a whole new world at the furthest edge of the map where danger and minerals may be richest a frozen wonderland where the sun never shines.

Snowdin land (WIP name) is cold, veeery cold but survivable with a winter coat by normal human conditions with a similar pressure threshold, being faced away from the sun it is eternally dark with no respite, and vicious battering snow storms that can knock you around or even unconscious without precautions or coffee stimulants

The rocks hued blue quite generically are much the same, and winding caves are infested with the usual blend of monsters suited to the cold climate but have one pivotal difference in that they are totally or near immune to physical damage. The thick slippy ice is a new hazard, as running upon it can seriously hurt yourself from slipping, and walking over it may slow your pursuit of animals or create tension in being chased by a foe.

> Yetis - The apex predator of the ice wastes, these hulking humanoid beasts with luxurious fur, sought after for strength and resistance to cold, pressure and damage are a difficult foe, for they are immune to KA blasts. If you must take on one of these creatures without a plasma cutter or a laser, then you may have to resort to using a edged weapon to pierce the thick hide. They are uncommon and do not spawn from tendrils. They have a tendency apply a short knockdown stun and fling the player away from them when they attack (akin to a mech stun-punch but with greater range)

> Forgotten hivelords - The asteroid hivelords after the fall of the great asteroid upon the planet, took well to the climate but have crystalised due to long term exposure, their remnants have a low chance of embedding upon your person but melt away instead of falling out, it all depends on how well/lightly armoured you are in the chances of getting skewered. One of the few monsters who will receive damage in usual amounts.

> Blizzard Sows and Bulls - Relatively docile creatures that wander around but have a pete-like streak of momentary aggressiveness and the size and strength to burst through a metal wall when angered , butchering them gives good meat returns for hungry miner and the meat is in high demand, whilst applying a electric razor will shave off excess fur for yarn cloth crafting recipies. Herding them securely may be advised if you have a secure place to store them.

> Any combination of discarded away mission ice variant monster as seems relevant since they are largely unused all but for xenobiology research.

(Willing to take further suggestions, typically away from bizzaro lavaland monsters please)

Some things would also be different too due to the climate. Such as being able to collect piles of snow and craft them into bricks for igloos/snowball construction (so mining lavaland would be recommended by one team of miners and the mining slot could be expanded, so there is equal coverage given that iceland doesn't have sand.)

As soon as i can think of more to add i will edit this thread, but for the meantime feedback would be appreciated.

Stay cool. :whiskey:
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Re: Tidally locked planet & Iceland (no not that iceland)

Post by Antimattercarp » #169377

So igloos would be a ghetto shelter?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #169381

Antimattercarp wrote:So igloos would be a ghetto shelter?
A igloo would be nicely themed ruin shelter yes.

Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #169386

instead of lava, cold water?
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #169481

Super Aggro Crag wrote:instead of lava, cold water?
Rivers of ice that slip you for shit tons of fall damage.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #169570

or maybe in water

the polar kraken
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #169600

Super Aggro Crag wrote:or maybe in water

the polar kraken
Even better, a midgard serpent or Jormugandr, a enormous poisonous snake from norse mythology (because i guess scandinavia fits the bill for cold-ness) that rests within or ontop of the ice.

Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #169747

So, Skyrim Station 13?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #169757

BEARDS
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #169845

Lost space viking's with wooden bucklers and clay mores sounds very appropriate if thats a theme we can lean towards. (without meaning to recycle ash walkers or 'natives' ghost roles)

Throw cooked food into Odins altar to claim another viking spawn.

Starting vikings wear red, green and blue respectively.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #172241

Super Aggro Crag wrote:or maybe in water

the polar kraken
Ahem.

I support this.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #286479

Right now without a static map the only person capable of ever making a map variant biome for lavaland with the actual technical skill to simulate proper caves, ruin placement & possibility of turning lava into ice is Kor through the specific mapping zones they created and that were well executed for lavaland.
Im reviving this thread, because i feel like currently its a good direction to be moving in now that lavaland is largely rounded off and set as a concept, as opposed to when this thread was created and lavaland was still young (no megabeasts and some silly machine behind the necro door) it will keep us constantly active and let us test out some more climate/biome controls for planetstation also as a long term goal on how to manage larger map temperature & terrain differences.

- In such a case that liquids you take to Iceland (pending better name) will freeze in the cold atmosphere, and you'd have to actually heat your auxillary base to stop yourself freezing to death. Spill water and ice a tile over. Gulag would also need to be thermally heated but it would be interesting if you could survive the cold long enough to escape over a lucky land bridge between the parting icy waters.

- Because its not ash ground, you could experiment with putting down tree forests and perhaps tying trees closer into botany with loose pine trees strewn around for wood and natural berry bushes for foraging. Something more natural and terrestrial than the extreme enviroment of lavaland. (still rocky & frozen to shit)

The old OP content might not be as good as a idea as it once was but im still hopeful people can salvage meaning out of this suggestion of extranous mining maps and fundamentally different locations to visit & mine in a PVE enviroment (both player vs enviroment & player vs enemies technically)

Spoiler: