Make gangs great again

A place to record your ideas for the game.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Make gangs great again

Post by InsaneHyena » #191490

Not so long ago, gangs were EVERYONE's favourite game mode. What happened? How do we fix it? In my opinion, gangs have following flaws (that can be corrected with following changes). They all concern the dominators.

1) First, the limited nature of the dominators encourages gang to take it's sweet ass time to drop one of them. And it's understandable - from a gameplay perspective, it's always better to eliminate the very possibility of a loss. Why take risks, when you can roflstomp the opposition, convert/kill everyone on the station, and only drop the dominator when there's nobody on the entire station who can destroy it? This can be partially fixed by making dominators unlimited - or, if you're worried about gangheads stalling the shuttle forever, giving every gang, like, five dominators.
2) Secondly, partially because of the point above, we don't see much battles for the dominators anymore. And it sucks, because they should take place all the time, and it should be flashy. My proposed fix - if the dominator drops, no other gang can use their dominator. They MUST storm the enemy gang's stronghold, even if their influence is larger. Also, double the influence gain to the gang when their dominator is active - this way, they can gear up with uzis to defend the dom.
3) Security usually gets killed/converted very early in the round, unless Mekhi is playing the HoS and sec goes full Hitler, forcefully implanting everyone. Fix - if the round lasts long enough, NanoTrasen automatically sends in progressively more powerful ERT teams at the fixed points of time.
Bring back papercult.

TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Re: Make gangs great again

Post by TankNut » #191504

One suggestion I've always had was to allow the gang 'heads' to identify enemy gang members (Enemy gang heads showing as a normal member, to help with disguises). That way they'll be less likely to stab the wrong guy and end up being lynched by the guy's 5 friends who were just around the corner.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #191505

The reason no one goes for the dominators anymore is because a good gang will position it somewhere behind countless R-Walls and disposal bins, lube the entrances and have a mech to block.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #191511

I had one a while ago. Make dominators unlimited, but also act as a mobile store for your gang. If it's dropped, every gangster you have is told where it is. The dominator accumulates gang points over time that your gang can use, so say it gets like 15 a minute, after a while your gangsters can go to your base, buy stuff, and continue the turf war. It'd make gang based around bases rather than boss hunting while also making it more action-packed due to most gangsters being armed.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #191790

Not even two months ago: Making Gang Great Again?!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #191803

Not so long ago gangs were new and therefore exciting
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #191837

oranges wrote:Not so long ago gangs were new and therefore exciting
This.

Also according to our stats page gang only has 50% winrate, which means a large number of these gang v gang v gang rounds instead fizzle out into security just inplanting everyone.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #191850

The idea of gang alone of all rounds operating on a plane beyond security was always pretty goofy.

Besides security isn't wrecking gang, the mode was never terribly original and the concept was fatally flawed.

DA does a better job of cutting sec out of the equation and sec still dunks double agents.
A conversion/station domination mode just can't stay outside security notice: conversion means more idiots generating evidence, the gang tags bloody scream at sec THE GANGS BE HERE, the sec team needs to hold the station or die trying and the gang members don't always need to kill security (some sec teams are fucking stupid) will just do so because the mode is similar to rev that the reflex is hard wired plus hey you can it's fun.

The best option for antag vs antag is probably duelling teams of sneak ops or some shit so security doesn't notice. Second is operating somewhat outside their jurisdiction so you can have some breathing room, abductors could have been tooled for this teleporting from ships in another z level is perfect. Worst is to not be a threat to security or the station at all basically no stakes.

Any sort of convert and rule the station antag is destined to fight security, for all itss flaws at least cult vs cult didn't start off with a bombastic half assed sentiment them there reds hirts shouldn't be here backed up by a half assed implant nerf and nothing else.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #191862

Remove gang.

I never liked the prevalence of conversion based game modes, rev and cult were fine and even they were relativity uncommon to deal with.

Gang v Gang v Sec almost always devolves into either Security getting wind 2.1231212 seconds after round start and proceeding to implant the entire station, or far more likely one gang has a competent head and procedes to out recruit the other gang and win the game in a shit fest that makes you want to smash your head on your monitor.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #194846

FYI, the preferences changed from 'vastly preferred' to 'vastly hate' after they made mass-gang conversions more difficult by increasing the cost of loyalty implants and scaling pen cooldowns to the size of the gang, making the gang presence far more difficult, meaning flukegangs happens all the time and security has a focal presence in the mode, instead of being another, harder, more expensive conversion target that acts as an earlygame balancing factor.

If you reverted it to that and it's back to it's pseudo-tacticool TDM roots, then people would like it again. Sure, it's not balanced for sec, but sec really doesn't need to be the balancing factor in every goddamn mode.

No one ever puts down an early dom because of the limited stock and severely limited defensive gear unless you have engineering or sec.

> Security usually gets killed/converted very early in the round

Flat-out false in my own experience unless things changed within the past few months. They always, and I mean always mass-implant everyone if there's a Captain or HoS, usually to good effect. The reason why it takes so fucking long for a gang to build enough rapport to do anything is because implant deconversion rates often outstrips anything the gangs can do, and the gangs aren't even allied. Against a vaguely competent and staffed security force, you have to convert people early and keep them with you after the very earlygame, lest they fall to the forceimplanting.

Generally speaking, there are never enough resources to go around. Spreading influence with more pens and implant breakers is almost always better than weaponry, unless you're actively in combat, but there's barely even enough for every gang collectively to compete on-the-level with each other, let alone security. Gangsters rarely get any sort of equipment until it doesn't even matter because of the prohibitive cost.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #194849

It is tough to judge if gang was better received because >newhype or because conversionspam led to better firefights and stuff, but it is probably worth a test rollback to see if it improves things any.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #194852

I third this opinion, we should rollback and see if the game improves.
Bring back papercult.

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #194855

I have only actually been in gang as a gangster a couple times, and while it is fun storming an inferior enemy gang hold and dropping a fucking legendary beatdown rumble while "X gon give it to ya" is blaring in the background, i cannot imagine it is much fun for the gang that gets shat on. I also suspect that maybe gang was more fun at first because no one had really figured out the best meta strats to win, and that maybe play2win attitude is what killed it. Not much you can do about that one, people will generally always find the most efficient way to win at anything.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #194863

As stated by others, gang really was only fun when it came out due to being new. New things will be fun as people look into strategies and tactics for it. Yet now, as soon as tags are spotted security knows what to do and where they should go to combat the gangs. Gang will generally just turns into revolution with guns as one gang will generally take off, the other gangs will either not grow or will fizzle out. Also, I haven't really seen a legitimate round in ages where there was two competent gangs going at it which is fun.

Another problem is most gang rounds just drag on, shuttles get recalled by the gangtool even if the station is just shit and most are dead but one ganghead is still there trying. Other rounds the singularity will be eating the station, then you get that one dominator dropped at the end that takes 600 Byond seconds to countdown in some obscure location with really nobody to respond to it.
Freedom
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #194867

I still think only gang heads should be able you see their own gang members so they will have to buy gang cloathing or use on station cloathing to identify each other. Gang leaders can see members of other gang members but not gang leaders. Also, maybe curtain cloathing items (bio/EOD suits?) could block pens.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #194875

calzilla1 wrote:I still think only gang heads should be able you see their own gang members so they will have to buy gang cloathing or use on station cloathing to identify each other. Gang leaders can see members of other gang members but not gang leaders. Also, maybe curtain cloathing items (bio/EOD suits?) could block pens.
> Cue to gang winrate dropping to 0%
Bring back papercult.

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #194879

calzilla1 wrote:I still think only gang heads should be able you see their own gang members so they will have to buy gang cloathing or use on station cloathing to identify each other. Gang leaders can see members of other gang members but not gang leaders. Also, maybe curtain cloathing items (bio/EOD suits?) could block pens.
The first point about limited visibility and gang heads being able to identify enemy gang members sounds like a good idea in theory, but forcing the gangs to completely forgo stealth is basically asking Security to urinate all over them. All conversion antags must have stealth in the beginning (excluding Rev, which has the potential to spread faster than Sec can respond). If gangs, like the other conversion modes, are caught early, then Security will stamp out their fire as if they were a discarded cigarette. I believe that Gang was at some point meant to be focused on Gang vs Gang warfare, but Security is a "gang" in of itself and are usually the primary threat.

Perhaps if defeating the enemy gang leaders were an objective, it would further lean towards gang on gang warfare as each gang has to fight to defend their leadership. Still, with Security in the picture, this might destroy that idea. Gangs might assassinate other leaders early on, exposing themselves to Sec and giving them the warning they need to start a mass-implant campaign.

Oh, and addressing the final point about the gang pens: This is already true. Thick suits such as space suits will block the gang pen. In a recent round as a Gang leader, I had to strip the hardsuits from the Captain and others before I could recuit them.
BananaSenor
Byond Username: Banana_Senor

Post by BananaSenor » #195014

The problem is the dominator. It makes the whole thing into another boring baddies vs station mode.

Should have stayed with a gang needing a % of the station under control to win, making it a thing between gangs.

And maybe even a slight roleplay standard, e.g. not having security execute crewmembers for spraying a wall could help.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #195093

Make killing all the gangheads but one start a short timer before that gang claims victory

sec will be forced to brig gangheads instead of just getting their validboners on unless they're certain of getting them all :honk:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #195096

Remove the territory control aspect

It's pointless and confusing
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #195102

... come to think of it, security have to get involved right now cause they "lose" if the gangs win.

So. Fix that.

At the end of the round, report which of the gangs wins out of the gangs, but _also_ have a victory/loss condition for uninvolved crewmembers based on something like casualty rate and station integrity and so on - that way, if a gang goes loud, it's in security's interests to stamp them the fuck down before their shit wrecks the station, but otherwise they're really encouraged to keep the peace above and beyond anything else.
In short, security's job is to keep the station secure. If they can take the gangs out bloodlessly then bully for them, but otherwise security's goal is simply to ensure that whatever does happen between the gangs doesn't spill out and trash the rest of the crew.

This may well mean removing the whole dominator aspect and going back to station control.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #195103

Hello yes, this will not work on /tg/. Valids are everything.
Bring back papercult.

Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #195105

but

will powergaming validhunters valid valids

if validing valids makes you lose
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #195206

It's not about winning, it's abuot having fun at the expense of other people.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #195357

TankNut wrote:One suggestion I've always had was to allow the gang 'heads' to identify enemy gang members (Enemy gang heads showing as a normal member, to help with disguises). That way they'll be less likely to stab the wrong guy and end up being lynched by the guy's 5 friends who were just around the corner.
this is exactly what i came here to say and it was literally the first post after the OP.

gang gets fucked pretty consistently because Gang McHead will pen a guy, and said guy will already be in a gang, at which point Mr McHead is as good as dead. if we fix this i bet the mode will instantly get a lot better
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #195374

Gang is shit because victory is decided the moment the round starts. If you got a good job and no other gang heads are in the department with you, you win. If you start as a job without department access, or worse without maint access, you lose.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #195389

Gang really is terrible. It's like the old ling rounds when lings would recall shuttle to keep murderboning for objectives
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #195391

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but

The reason people loved gangs when it came out is because

1) it's rev with guns
2) it was new
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #195429

I've been saying Gang has needed updates since March and nobody has attempted to do anything.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #195431

The only one who actually worked on it was me and I stopped playing SS13 shortly after I made it
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #195485

Making gamemodes kills coders

See: hand of god
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #195506

paprika wrote:Making gamemodes kills coders

See: hand of god
Or the multiple people who have tried and given up on datum antags.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #195595

Can anybody briefly explain to me what's so hard about datum antags? Multiple antags can co-exist on the station just fine, if adminspawned, and events can spawn antags too (space ninja, blob, ayys). I know nothing about coding, though.
Bring back papercult.

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #195654

InsaneHyena wrote:Can anybody briefly explain to me what's so hard about datum antags? Multiple antags can co-exist on the station just fine, if adminspawned, and events can spawn antags too (space ninja, blob, ayys). I know nothing about coding, though.
In Layman's terms, the code for antags is really, really poorly organized and complicated. When these two aspects mix, you have a hard-to-fix mess. To make Datum Antags, you have to rebuild the core code for every antag and make sure every antag works properly, and on top of that, have to build interaction code for different antag types, so you do not have crazy rounds Rev Blob Wiz Ops all together, and other balance stuff. Believe me, it is a big deal.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #195655

It's one of those things that would be a lot better and easier if it was built in from the start as a unified thing but with everything being its own mess it's now a complete dog's breakfast to try and sort out.

And whenever anyone tries to work on it, a million other people add a million new changes and probably a new terrible gamemode with a dozen new antags that are in their own thing so it's impossible to keep out of development hell.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #196324

Good start might be to just remove one of the gangs and just have two gangs. Right now it always just boils down to one gang ending up recruiting like 3 members and getting stomped early on.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #196334

It'd be cool if it were actual gangs, like you get 5 guys and fight another gang with 5 guys instead of you get 15 guys and the other guy gets 3 before getting curbstomped by sec.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #196348

Yeah I don't think gang needs conversion at all, I think you should start with a gang of people and have to deal with that instead of bumrushing whatever player has the low ping and is usually pretty robust so he can win the round for you (this is so fucking retarded lmao)
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #196495

> play a round of paprikagangs
> Enemy gang consists of Emily Ranger, Pocket, Robustin. Bryce Pax and Tim Ebow.
> Mine includes Loves-the-Lizards, Reed Glover, Mekhi and a random I've never seen before.
> mfw
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #196497

>bryce pax
Enemy gang is already RIP.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
IcePacks