More survival-streak rewards?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

More survival-streak rewards?

Post by Lumbermancer » #197152

I think the flashy beards are stupid, but the idea itself is good. I think as a whole it has a potential to: a) reduce roundstart suicide b) make people play safer, more "realistically" c) reduce greytide and griefing.

What could be added? Maybe some kind of exclusive jumpsuits? Meme-grey for Assistants and RED with gold trimmings for security? Alternate Cluwne outfits? Centcom Admiral suits for Heads of Staff?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Re: More survival-streak rewards?

Post by Amelius » #197153

Lumbermancer wrote:I think the flashy beards are stupid, but the idea itself is good. I think as a whole it has a potential to: a) reduce roundstart suicide b) make people play safer, more "realistically" c) reduce greytide and griefing.

What could be added? Maybe some kind of exclusive jumpsuits? Meme-grey for Assistants and RED with gold trimmings for security? Alternate Cluwne outfits? Centcom Admiral suits for Heads of Staff?
I'm just going to say that it should never yield an in-game advantage.

Personally, I propone hats.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #197156

Hat simulator in space.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #197161

>Gets l33t hat.
>Bribe drones with it.

Please add hats
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #197170

Good, we really need MORE reasons for people to be salty when someone suicide bombs the shuttle at the end for no reason
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #197171

The one caveat I will say, is that it will double the butthurt from admins having meme rounds with deathsquads and stuff, or even just messing up. I'm sure there will eventually be several admincomplaint threads to the effect of 'muh survival streak rewards'.

That's the only major concern I really have about it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #197173

We're gonna have a clash yeah, if our game code is telling players one thing ("survive! raise your score! build a streak!") and our rules/admins/culture/rest of the code is telling another story ("you will die for dumb reasons, nothing matters from last round, move on")
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #197177

Do you have to be alive when the server actually restarts or just when the round actually ends and text scrolls?

If the latter, who fucking cares.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #197178

You have to "green text". Actually evacuate.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #197179

this is a solution to a problem that should not exist and while I trust admins these days won't do it, there is the possibility of admin player buddies in the future abusing this feature

IF it becomes a meme round, instead of players saying goodbye to their beards or fancy hats, admins can toggle something which makes the round "non-canon" which makes any progress or deaths void.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #197180

You mean a button to make something "NOT FUCKING CANON"?
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #197181

admins will be trained in basic lore handling
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #197186

I think liberal use of the NOT CANON button should help to ease the asspain of dead players. I think it should be placed beside an admin button called NOT CANNON that deletes all guns in the round, and another called CANNON that just BSA's whoever ahelped getting killed
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #197187

Don't delete guns, just delete the BSA piece on that one away mission and any laser/pneumatic cannons, also prevent any new ones from being built.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #197188

Its the fucking lorebus coup making its move, everybody arm up.
Lumbermancer wrote:You have to "green text". Actually evacuate.
Yeah I just didn't know if the post-round grief fest counted towards the death and loss of beard/whatever.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #197190

It does not.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #197194

Beards are barely implemented. I'd like to see how it plays out for a couple of weeks before making assumptions about how good more of them would be.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #197196

I am kinda excited for the beards just because it gives me a reason to shave at the beginning of every couple shifts
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #198031

I just wanna say that the reason beards were kill was not for 'wow rainbow beard so dumb' at all. It was for the survival-streak thing. I can always revive it with the non canon button and see how it goes.
I lurk quite often...
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #198184

Lumbermancer wrote:I think the flashy beards are stupid, but the idea itself is good. I think as a whole it has a potential to: a) reduce roundstart suicide b) make people play safer, more "realistically" c) reduce greytide and griefing.

a doesn't affect anyone else anyway, why care in the first place?
b isn't a problem. Survival rewards encourage people to play boring and have less fun.
c is a more general issue with the game as a whole. People with strong survival streaks will attract griefing and get more salty about it, not less.

You're trying to solve problems that don't exist with a solution that will make the situations/game as a whole worse.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #198185

Those are not problems, but areas that could be improved.

a how is having more players in game and less fishing for antags (because they didn't get one) and memes not better?

b how is idea of traitors playing more covertly and less murderboner-y not better?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #198197

Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #198203

Well it's my fault for automatically assuming people won't be taking hats too seriously.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #198324

Lumbermancer wrote:Well it's my fault for automatically assuming people won't be taking hats too seriously.
You can't simultaneously claim that nobody will take it seriously enough to get mad about dying yet care enough to change their behavior and actively try to survive in an attempt to earn rewards. If they don't care about the rewards, they won't try to get them and the whole feature is a failure. So they have to care at least a little bit.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #198333

Well of course. The point was to have SOMETHING to lose, as opposed to absolutely NOTHING. However I didn't realize people would go as far as to chelp because of it.

Case and point:
iamgoofball wrote:You are what is killing any fun and creative content.
No, not really. It was meant to add some sort of objective to follow for people who WANT IT. That's why it was to be just stupid vanity items.

But I appreciate the input of someone who doesn't even play the game.