BAYMED: THE RECKONING

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Snerdly
Byond Username: Snerdly

BAYMED: THE RECKONING

Post by Snerdly » #207019

Let's talk about the current state of medicine on tg.

TG medicine is so simple and bad that people have absolutely no use for doctors any more. People now just resort to breaking into the medbay storage and slapping on brutepacks/popping antitoxin pills or having someone simply throwing them into cryo.

I propose a complete port of baystation medicine.

I know the tg community is very torn between this topic, but I think this is something that is absolutely needed. Like I said, doctors are becoming completely obsolete and it sucks playing as a doctor now because all you do is sit around and occasionally slap bruise packs on people.

Baymed has an insane variety of conditions and effects that doctors are prepared to treat, and even though there is an RP aspect to that, a lot of the conditions can't be treated ICly without tools in medbay that only doctors have access to. Take a look at their wiki and just look at all the possible things that can happen. https://wiki.baystation12.net/Guide_to_Medicine
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Re: BAYMED: THE RECKONING

Post by killerx09 » #207020

It'll never get in the game, simply because Baymed would get in the way of validhunting.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #207023

Woah, that looks pretty sweet actually.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #207042

killerx09 wrote:It'll never get in the game, simply because Baymed would get in the way of validhunting.
validhunting is a highly debated topic these days maybe this would stop people from doing it if they knew they had to do surgery if they got hurt would stop this
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #207050

Wouldn't we have to overhaul chems as well?
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207053

Most baychems don't do anything and are just for RP reasons, so no
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #207059

Yes please.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #207066

Yeah, no. I don't want to have to spend an entire hour dying in Medbay, and be blocked from succumbing while completely immobilized by injuries. Not to mention all the people dying because people just wouldn't bother to help them. It's literally not fun, it makes the game nothing but a chore.

Baymed doesn't really belong in this game, and never will. If you want Baymed, just go to Bay or whatever.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #207071

Porting baymed as it is is probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

It would require lots of tweaking to adjust to TG's playstyle, such as lowering the time and effort it takes to treat someone.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #207072

I prefer Baymed to /tg/med, honestly. It's complex, it gives MDs utility outside of "walking first-aid kit dispenser", and it means danger carries actual risk to it - so much so that people might think twice before charging at the nukeops team with just a spear. Although, with our playerbase, something less intricate might be a good idea - something more advanced and in-depth than our current medical system, but with less focus on spending a long time in medbay than Baymed?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #207073

>Get slightly tickled by a goliath
>Have to spend rest of round in medbay

Nah just nah
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207074

Still better than

>get the living shit shot out of you
>nearly dead
>multiple gunshot wounds
>bullet shrapnel inside body
>slap 2 bruise packs on, good to go
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #207079

Snerdly wrote:Still better than
No, not really. Trying to argue that "it's silly and not realistic" takes priority before having to waste entire rounds is ridiculous.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #207081

TBH I think any changes to medical in terms of making it deeper(more complicated) would have a profoundly positive effect on the game. Forces people to be more thoughtful with their planning/execution.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #207082

>Small breach in hall
>Run by it
>Get hit by cold and low pressure for a split second before we gucci again
>Get a bad chance roll and your lungs are fucked
>Have to go to surgery for five minutes to get it fixed
>All for that one tiny little breach

>Get in a little fight with a greyshirt
>They hit you in the arm with an extinguisher
>Get really lucky and break your arm
>All for that one tiny little punch

>Mine around in lavaland
>Run into literally anything
>They hit you a few times before you kill them
>Deal any number of terrible effects that'll cripple/kill you before you can get to med
>All for playing miner

I'll take TGmed over Baymed any day, anyone stupid enough to rally for it has obviously not put a single little bit of thought into how it would work with our server dynamic (read: how everything would be awful until it got removed) and probably never even played with it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #207093

I've played on some servers that use baymed, and its not really as complicated as people think. It mostly amounts to scanning someone with the advanced scanner, applying a few healing chems, then preforming a quick surgery on the person to fix the problem.

One of the larger issues with baymed is that it requires a mildly competent doctor to fix things caused by everyday fights or broken windows. tg probably has too much combat for the system to be a good fit without some modifications.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #207106

I'd totally play MD a ton more if we'd actually have a reason for doctors.

The way it is now, doctors are useless. You find too many medkits around the station, people always scream and push you for putting them in a sleeper, thinking, "WHAT IF HE MORPHINES ME".

If we don't get baymed can we please get some more medical reasons?

Chemists can even shit out a ton of patches that make sleepers/cryo useless, well mannitol still needed in cryo or cold shower but still.

At least remove burn/brute patches, take morphine from sleepers, make cryo not heal but only useful for clones, and become harsher on MD's who fuck off and abandon medbay to be a greytide with a medkit.

Maybe put the brute/burn medkits in the cmo's locker or a locker that's locked until red alert for emergency supplies.

Remove anti tox pills and make anti tox/charcoal syringe only.
Make bleeding happen more often, especially if you're cut or stabbed by anything it needs to be an automatic bleed effect.

If I shoot someone with a gun, if they run away and hide id love for a blood trail to form to find them a lot easier, I'm sure when you shoot people they bleed anyway.
Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #207110

There's this assumption that there's also a surgery for everything, which is incorrect. You don't necessarily have to get surgery, there are things like splints and casts for broken bones.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #207111

Without changing the style of medbay too much [aka keep it TG medbay]....

- Remove Patches from roundstart. Chem should be MAKING these things. The fact that I, as a chemist, do not have to worry about making medicine because there's already at least 20 Bruise/Burn Patches scattered throughout medbay alone just seems silly.

- On the topic of chem, make it so that their chem dispenser energy drains a WHOLE LOT FASTER now, but can now be upgraded. Early Game, You have to choose whether to prepare some chems [possibly not making the ones your need] OR wait until someone comes [which may be too late]. Also remove patches from the chemmaster unless the chemmaster is upgraded, patches are OP and in terms of stypic and silver sulf give you extra healing. Should not have that kind of power at roundstart imo.

- Make it so that using a bruise pack / ointment heals you considerably LESS than someone doing it for you. "original" Medical staff / CMO [you joined in as one] give an added bonus to both of these. This would encourage at the very least working with others [specifically actual medical doctors], and encourage people who are veterans to play as a medical doctor for the added bonus. Playing with numbers, 10 for self, 20 for others, and +5 for MDs when healing themselves or +10 for others.

- Give sleepers an energy bar similar to the Chem Dispenser [along with requiring a battery/capacitor to make now]. This discourages using the cure-all sleeper [unless it's upgraded via department cooperation, which is what we want!]. In a super perfect world, higher tier chems would require more energy as well.

- remove cryo. nothing is wrong with it, it just makes me mad when people throw me in there rather than actually heal me with a few clicks.

Only bad thing is the system becomes science reliant [and people don't like that], but to that I say you can [and should] go to Botany to get your chems as well, especially considering the DNA meme machine [plus there was an upgraded stock part PR that might would get some use if people relied more on upgraded parts].
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #207114

> Something that will get in the way of muh valids and 30 minute rounds
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Bring back papercult.

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #207115

sirnat wrote:people always scream and push you for putting them in a sleeper, thinking, "WHAT IF HE MORPHINES ME".
I wish for nothing but a swift, painful death for this meme.

Also :+1: to everything cobby said. Tons of great ideas.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #207118

Remove morphine from unhacked sleepers and I'll gladly hop in them
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #207122

Do people legitimately not use the sleepers because they might get morphined? p[owergam]e t t y
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #207125

Yes, it's a thing that happens, especially when you're dealing with famous powergamers.
Bring back papercult.

Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #207128

I am all for a more complex medical system, wether it is full baymed or baymed lite or just something with a bit more to it.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #207130

I think avoiding sleepers is a Sybil thing, I play a lot of CMO on Basil and it pretty much never happens.

I do think that sleepers need to be changed a bit. Right now you can use them to heal pretty much anything by clicking bicaridine and kelotane twice then sending the person on their way. Only poisons require any sort of attention, and even those are just charcoal or acid and something to heal the damage.

As people have mentioned, the number of kits and patches in storage is a bit too high at roundstart, maybe have only one of each kit and put a bunch of empty ones in chemistry for them to fill.

It would be nice if surgery had a use beyond implants, appendix removal. and brain transplants. Adding broken bones at high brute damages (maybe 80 or 90) could make medbay more useful while not causing your bones to break every time you get in a fist fight.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #207146

Atlanta-Ned wrote:TBH I think any changes to medical in terms of making it deeper(more complicated) would have a profoundly positive effect on the game. Forces people to be more thoughtful with their planning/execution.
^
Or remove """private""" medbay and the medical jobs.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #207147

I think a middle ground would be much better than full bay med.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #207151

Even something like having your body "remember" the worst brute/burn level it's been at and only heal halfway back to normal with your basic bruise patches would provide the "lol there's no consequence to me just picking a fight with this random guy" factor, just as long as actual medical treatment can reset that long-term-injury-level.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #207160

Baymed is baymed for a reason. It's called BAYmed and not TGmed
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #207167

it's a port baymed episode
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #207201

TribeOfBeavers wrote:I think avoiding sleepers is a Sybil thing.
Only for me if I don't trust the doctor xD
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #207206

In fairness I have a bad habit of accidentally morphining people by mistake, when I hit epi or bicardine the way I have my UI scaled it drops down the morphine one down, so if I wanted to click again and I'm in a rush I accidentally morphine them.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #207240

kevinz000 wrote:Baymed is baymed for a reason. It's called BAYmed and not TGmed
Wow, if only this visionary had been around while goofball was busily trying to port the entirety of goonstation, that would have stopped him right in his tracks.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #207324

[youtube]mSy5mEcmgwU[/youtube]
Mandatory.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #207332

back
BAYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #207454

Can we at least incorporate aspects like this, like broken bones? I really don't like how being beaten within an inch of your life has no consequences so long as you get to a cryotube in time. Including some more complicated injuries would serve as a massive buff to antags. Medical is painfully boring to play in its current state, and incorporating surgery would go a long ways to making it a more engaging job. Mining got a total rework even though it "worked" in its old state. I don't see why medical can't get the same treatment next.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #207459

the difference is the mining rework doesn't fuck over literally everyone you dumb shit
I mean I love the idea of baymed but theres no way its happening
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #207465

I don't see the issue if it makes things more difficult uniformly for everybody.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #207469

>Get in a little fight with a greyshirt
>They hit you in the arm with an extinguisher
>Get really lucky and break your arm
>All for that one tiny little punch
An alternative would be to make a pretty unrealistically efficient first aid system. With broken limbs for example, you'd fix them by putting a splint on them. So long as the splint's on, the broken limb will heal over time. There could be two versions, crude and professional splints. professional splints are found in medbay while ghetto splints can be made from metal rods and bed sheets or some shit. With a professional splint. it'd take about two minutes for the broken limb to heal. For ghetto splints, it'd take about five minutes to heal. Long enough that it'd encourage you to take it easy after a big fight but not long enough to keep you stuck in medbay for like 20 minutes.

As far as broken limbs go, they wouldn't be completely debilitating. Broken leg? Slows your movement speed down significantly and if both your legs are broken it forces you to crawl. Broken arm? Each time you try to use that arm for a task or try to attack with something in that arm there's a significant chance that it'll hurt like a mother fucker and cause you to drop whatever you're holding and scream. This would also be where morphine comes into play as more than a valid hunting chem. If you inject yourself with morphine, you can move a bit faster with one broken leg and there's a significant decrease in your pain chance while trying to use a broken arm. A splint and a shot of morphine could potentially help you keep a bit more productive during your healing process.

Also, for a bit of shits and giggles, meth could actually let you completely bypass the effects of broken limbs so long as its in your system. In the middle of a fight but your limbs are pretty much completely fucked? Shoot up some meth to get back up on your feet and start giggling and flailing away at your opponent. Epipens could have a similar albeit shorter effect that would be more for getting yourself somewhere to fix yourself up rather than finishing a fight.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #207474

The above scenario is precisely why I want this or something like this implemented. Of all the systems currently in TG, medical is by far the least robust.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #207479

do it and add a full fucking healing system specifically built around baymed so its not just a shitty port.
you would have to make medbay SUPER fucking efficent, like i mean fucking redesign that shit to be super fucking efficent, so that when someone comes in with something that requires medbay, it should take no more than two minutes.
every sort of ailment should be healable in a less reliable way with things found outside of medbay, ghetto splints for example.
traitors should have access to a combat first aid kit
syndicates should have access to a combat first aid kit at round start
wizards should have a healing spell/roundstart staff
bloodcult/clockcult need passive healing ruins and instant healing runes.
gangsters should be able to buy shit like "mama's jambalya" or some other hood rat way to heal shit.
lings should have seperate abilities for seperate damage types, or should have one ability that passively heals everything.
deathsquad hardsuits, elite hardsuits, shielded hardsuits, and medical hardsuits should have a built in passive medical system, that shows you whats fucked and automatically gives you drugs to fix them (syndies get omnizine/stimulants/meth, medical hardsuits get loads of fucking epinehrene)
research should be able to research the passive healing system and attach them to any hardsuit

i have relevant sprites and concept ideas for a more modular, much much better combat medkit
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #207481

reminder that this is such a meme it's literally a retard phrase ingame that you say when you have brain damage
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #207562

someone could add borken bones
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #207618

PKPenguin321 wrote:reminder that this is such a meme it's literally a retard phrase ingame that you say when you have brain damage
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #207626

We could always implement small things like broken bones, see how it goes, then consider adding more if it's well received. Baymed isn't an all-or-nothing deal.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #207633

whatever you do don't port infections because holy shit that mechanic is awful
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #207683

Screemonster wrote:whatever you do don't port infections because holy shit that mechanic is awful

The idea behind them is good, it encourages doctors to work fast instead of leaving the guy lying around for a bit and adds a sense or urgency. It also makes surgery a bit more interesting, as you have to prepare and make sure everything is clean.

However, the way they work on baymed definitely wouldn't be well recieved on tg. Once you get an infection you basically just sit in medbay until it clears up.