Ways for botanist to contribute to atmos

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Ways for botanist to contribute to atmos

Post by Dagdammit » #211622

It seems like it'd be neat for botany to have some limited way of supplying breathable atmosphere- enough to provide a sustainable or near-sustainable source of breathable air for a couple guys working to restore a derelict, or a few huddled survivors waiting for the escape shuttle on a long-since-badly-breached station. Consider this an open call for ideas; I have a few thoughts I'll throw in the ring, but would rather hear other's thoughts as well.

What if you made all plants convert CO2 to Oxygen, like they do IRL?
I'm gonna preemptively guess this is a terrible solution. Sounds like a drain on game performance for an effect that won't matter in the slightest for 9+ rounds out of 10.

Some variant of grass floor tiles that slowly converts CO2 in their tile to Oxygen once placed
Seems more feasible. You could have the conversion rate be enough that, say, 4 oxygrass floor tiles will match the C02 output of one human. Sealed 5x5 room with all-oxygrass floor can support 6.25 humans indefinitely (or at least until they starve)

High-tier Breath of Gaia plant that artificially makes all the adjacent tiles have ideal C02 and Oxygen levels
No idea how feasible/wise this is from coding perspective. On the design angle: You could give it extra logistical complications, like it only has the beneficial effect when planted in soil (or only in soil that's been supercharged by Ambrosia Gaia). Maybe harvesting just has a (Yield*10)% chance of providing a single seed pack (though it doesn't destroy the plant like with Replica Pods).

High-tier Breath of Gaia plant that releases Oxygen when harvested.
Hear me out on this one, it could be relatively easy to code (or so I naively imagine?) and also alot gentler on performance. Say that every time you "harvest" this plant, you are effectively opening the valve on a new oxygen canister containing (Yield*50) kPa of oxygen and whose valve is set to (potency*10 pressure). Further, if you harvest it with a handheld gas tank, it first acts as though the tank was hooked up to the hypothetical canister (refilling it) and THEN releases any leftover oxygen. So you can refill 1 tank per harvest, and there's lots of other potential for use/misuse (i.e. messing with the potential to blow things away?).
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Ways for botanist to contribute to atmos

Post by Saegrimr » #211624

These are actually a thing that Kudzu can do, but nobody will ever take the time to prune out all the horrible mutations or reduce the mutativeness to zero once they get a "beneficial" strain.

Even if you made a transparent plasma-eating oxygen-producing strain of kudzu, you'd probably get lynched for spreading it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #211634

Saegrimr wrote:These are actually a thing that Kudzu can do, but nobody will ever take the time to prune out all the horrible mutations or reduce the mutativeness to zero once they get a "beneficial" strain.

Even if you made a transparent plasma-eating oxygen-producing strain of kudzu, you'd probably get lynched for spreading it.
There's a version that produces oxygen? In past research I just saw options for reducing CO2, not something that could render a room full of vacuum breathable.

Also, is there any reliable way to get kudzu in the first place?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #211668

The most reliable way to get kudzu is to use mutagen on a tray with 6 weeds or more; if some other plant spawns, uproot it, put sugar the tray to regrow weeds, and try again.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #211761

Okay, but I just checked the wiki again and still see no way for Kudzu to PRODUCE oxygen gas. Just ways for it to consume gases, like CO2. So if I want to build a sealed room out in the vacuum of space, can kudzu then allow me to fill it with breathable air?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #211783

Maybe I was mistaken about the oxygen producing vines, there's "eater" types of the 4 usual gasses but I thought I saw an oxygen producing mutation at some point. Oh well.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #211907

> instead of using portable vents, atmos places down some dirt and creates a tree you have to nurture or you will die from O2 dep.

Yes
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #212204

> nurture

You can make some pretty ez AFK trees with shit stats if you want to leave them around. Or just use Gaia.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy