Would it be possible to create a daily/weekly gamemode?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheOneWhoHonks
Byond Username: Theonewhohonks

Would it be possible to create a daily/weekly gamemode?

Post by TheOneWhoHonks » #218826

My topic has many questions, but they all involve creating a station from mostly scratch, to prevent the developers from spending hundreds of hours creating stations by themselves, and instead allowing said stations to evolve organically.

My idea is this: The crew is staffed entirely by miners. The location is either lavaland or a scattered (enclosed or low pressure) asteroid field. The miners arrive in an arrival shuttle with basic mining gear. The round continues with the miners harvesting materials and converting them to a small base. When an area has been created, a device/item could be used to check pressure over a set amount of time(to ensure survivability). At that point, new basic and important jobs will unlock to the users that would join after that point. Engies, atmos and cargo techs, medics, botany, security and chef seem to be the important ones off the top. These users can then assist in creation of the interior of their workstations as they are developed, assembling and placing the various machines related to each job.

Eventually the plan is for the station to develop naturally as one would expect it to in a real life scenario, with ancillary jobs taking place later on. There would be no antags for this mode. It would be purely extended and the round would end at various times depending on the development stage of this game mode. Early on there would be a few 24 hour rounds because shit will get messed up/misplaced/designed incorrectly, but later on the rounds could increase in time. Occasionally bad events such as space carp or non completely-fuck-up-the-station-able events should occur, to add spice to the rounds, as well as test the general functionality of said stations.

I would hope said stations would eventually be added to the general map mix for variability after thorough testing for faults and exploits.

My questions are as follows:

Would the server allow for round times that long? Are there inherent memory leaks to the system that would prevent it?
Could a low atmosphere environment similar to lavaland be created for the asteroid field?
What glaringly obvious problems do you see with this plan that I missed?

Thank you for your time and reading this.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Would it be possible to create a daily/weekly gamemode?

Post by Gun Hog » #218829

I like this idea as a one-off event to help a map maker build a new map, but there is absolutely no way a community like this could ever handle such a thing more than once in the same 3 month period. This may be more viable for a community that is accustomed to long rounds and extended roleplay periods that do not involve much PvP action.

This will not work here. The playerbase does not have the attention span.
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #218855

d20 station does this once a week. Go play it, that community is accustomed to this kind of thing so it actually works out.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #219025

Goon once put up a construction server, but the stations created were usually a bunch of squares floating in space and connected by catwalks. It got a bit better when a proper shuttle was added and the meta became make hangar->make corridor->go wild, but the main problem was and is, a station cannot grow organically: to make a big station, you need to plan for a big station; A small station cannot develop into a big station because the interns were built for a small station. Building a functional station requires planning and patience, rare occurrences in low-RP servers.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #219181

Long-term modes would be a pretty different game. A means to enter and leave the station on your own terms (arrival and departure shuttles?) might make it work a bit better.

A big part of SS13 is that the station is held together by duct tape and string for the most part and its destruction is a matter of when, not if. Construction modes might be fun, but probably best served by hosting your own servers.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #245738

I would love a construction mode. I would not love getting shot in the back with a revolver while building a girder.