Lavaland Update

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Lavaland Update

Post by onleavedontatme » #230065

Inspired largely by the swarmer thing

-No megafauna spawn at round start.

-Tendrils spread corrupt fleshy floor tiles around them, and spawn evil looking gold grubs/worms, which go around slowly eating and corrupting the environment

-As they feed the tendril grows, spawning more monsters at higher stages. At max size, the tendril will spawn a boss or spread more tendrils.

-Much like the swarmers, the tendrils and their spawns will call for help from nearby mobs

-The tendrils will of course have bigger rewards the bigger (and more dangerous) you let them grow

-Killing enough max size tendrils (or enough bosses out of them?) would let you fight some super final boss (maybe with rewards that impact the next round, since it'd take the whole round to kill it anyway)

-There'd still be a handful of the classic mining mobs (goliath/watcher/legion) in the tunnels.

Lavaland would be less dangerous to start (no more dragons right outside the base) but would morph into something even more terrible as the round went on if you let the monsters grow out of control.

Also since I added easy ways to cheat and set baseturfs, I plan to put meta or box on a lavaland map, and have the enroaching tendrils outside the station/base walls be a long term threat.

So yeah, feedback or suggestions please.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Lavaland Update

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #230074

I can go through this in a few very simply put points.

Against
  • Would require severely reducing the number of tendrils on lavaland and spreading them further apart, largely void of life - No thanks
  • That and making people required to wait for this (corruption) mechanic probably wouldn't go so well on our short round scheme. - Nuh uh
  • Faux infinitely respawning bugs with no describable loot drops which are probably aggressive and as trash as regular gold grubs & destroy the enviroment creating wide open areas of absolute darkness and empty content - Please no.
  • Monsters accumulatively are TERRIBLE to fight, as our combat system can't support being hit by more than 1 high damage mob at once without literally TANKING it, making swarming monsters nightmarish - positively no thank you

For

• No megafauna immediately in your face to destroy you just by RNG bad placement
  • Not so much item reliant progression (like the current path to 'endgame' dragon armour & boss weapons) / Though on the flipside that might not be true as weapons will progress via R&D or mining whatever to clear out more and more boss monsters
  • The only point i utmost agree on is that you consulted us first rather than just going ahead and PR'ing and merging it anyway before anyone got a chance to comment.
> If you want to try lavaland boxstation, I say go for it but the outside will be dangerous enough as it is.

Nice idea on paper, but doesn't really have a place in the actual current game experience i think.

Spoiler:
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #230108

Im all fine for this besides the length thing. By the time the shuttles ready people are already calling the shuttle and bitching.

ALTERNATIVELY,
Make it do this all only on extended so there's more playtime / stuff to do over a longer period.

(Will probably update post when I think of more.)

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #230110

Rounds don't last enough on either server to warrant over time growth.

It would be fine as an extended only mechanic but the main appeal of lavaland is the danger. With no opposition then we're just making it the asteroid with a non hard suit Atmos.

Monsters currently present make taking the normal tendrils a challenge already. Goliath tendrils are a battle of attrition, watchers are a danger when going to get the chest and closing in for the kill, and legions can quickly decimate someone if they don't keep the numbers in control.

If anything make tendrils drop crystals that can summon the megafauna when activated.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #230112

Something I was already going to ask about related to lavaland compound was chopping the z-level up into a grid (maybe 4x4) of 'sectors'
[3][X][X][X]
[2][3][X][X]
[1][2][3][X]
[c][1][2][3]
I showed this to Kel the Oblivious to illustrate the state of comm & GPS signal quality at roundstart, but he really liked the idea that it could reflect some lavaland generation mechanics. Here's what he wrote in the discord chat:
Zone 1: No tendrils, no megas, no exotic structures. Low mineral content. Local fauna still spawn normally.
Zone 2: Tendrils begin to appear, as do exotic structures. Low tendril count.
Zone 3: Megas, tendrils, and better exotic structures.
Zone EXTREME: Signalless megas, roving aggressive tendrils, strange new horrifying fauna!
Up to Zone Three, you can count on Old Mining still being... Mining
But once you get into the NEW zone... Oh.. Oh dear.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #230144

Kor wrote:-Much like the swarmers, the tendrils and their spawns will call for help from nearby mobs
I must have missed this part about them 'cause I was totally wondering about call-to-arms behaviour for mobs. the use I had planned for it was an away mission or ruin with mostly-nonhostile borg drone kinda mobs that summon all the warrior variants in the area if the crew are dumb enough to go murderhobo on it.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #230161

Kor wrote: Also since I added easy ways to cheat and set baseturfs, I plan to put meta or box on a lavaland map, and have the enroaching tendrils outside the station/base walls be a long term threat.
FUCKING YES.
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #230168

Swarms of regular enemies are already awful, destroying the environment on top of that just makes the problem worse
And you want the entirety of lavaland to be that

Well, parts of it sound nice, just gimp all of the mobs so one or two people can easily take on the enemy hordes with a moderately powerful melee weapon, or else you might as well just remove ghost roles too
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #230189

Screemonster wrote:
Kor wrote:-Much like the swarmers, the tendrils and their spawns will call for help from nearby mobs
I must have missed this part about them 'cause I was totally wondering about call-to-arms behaviour for mobs. the use I had planned for it was an away mission or ruin with mostly-nonhostile borg drone kinda mobs that summon all the warrior variants in the area if the crew are dumb enough to go murderhobo on it.
The summon_backup() mechanic has existed for atleast a year I'd say.
in the code there's a Syndicate Civilian who will run away and summon anything with a friendly faction to join it.
Which means if you had say, a Goliath with the syndicate faction, as a "pet" of sorts, it too would come to help (I had to make this mechanic optional for swarmers, otherwise the mining mobs would help the swarmers as opposed to just ignoring them)
私は完璧
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #230195

Neat.

Suddenly visions of using this to summon mobs to a point RTS-style using cameras and so forth. We drone riggers now.

edit: holy shit I'd never really looked at mobcode until now, I didn't realise the proc would be that simple
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #230199

Screemonster wrote:Neat.

Suddenly visions of using this to summon mobs to a point RTS-style using cameras and so forth. We drone riggers now.

edit: holy shit I'd never really looked at mobcode until now, I didn't realise the proc would be that simple

Yep, summon_backup() is only for Hostile AI mobs, however the "walking to a point" as you say uses the Hostile AI proc Goto(), which is just a wrapper around the byond proc walk_to(), so it can technically be done on anything that can move (It starts a movement loop in the background, and is actually the reason AI Mecha pilots used to die and leave their mecha haunted and still moving, because that move loop was left running!)

Generally in the codebase we like nice neat reusable frameworks, Hostile/Simple AI is a bit poop in places but it's had some nice love recently (Speed ups, new functionality, etc.)
私は完璧
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #230201

That's basically already a thing with blob spores.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #230202

Rounds don't last enough on either server to warrant over time growth.
Guess this is true
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #230206

make them grow faster then :^)

or have a few tendrils grow faster to provide early opposition in a few directions while the rest grow at a normal speed

perhaps tendrils globally grow faster each time a tendril is killed and only slow down when a megafauna boss is killed
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
D&B

Post by D&B » #230211

Another option would be to make tendrils spawned creatures move towards the mining outpost every certain amount of ticks.

Thus you incite miners to upgrade their tools with RnD in order to keep the hordes at bay
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Jembo
Byond Username: Jembo

Post by Jembo » #230214

Mining is super popular fast spreading tendrils would be cool. Or maybe make it so they can't spread over holywater? So if the station is low pop a chaplain could just spread about and keep the spread from getting out of control.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #230422

I like Dagdammint/Kel 's suggestion, get a grid of regions, with less dangerous or "younger" regions closer to the outpost, some moderately mature tendrils inbetween, and a core region with the necropolis gate and a guardian. On the infestation aspect, I too would like to avoid swarmers 2: fleshy voodoo: I'd like the infestation to convert walls or build structures, not outright dig into the rock, unless you can make it so worms don't start digging until all the tiles reachable by the tendril creep have been converted, at which point they could make a serpentine into a wall until the reach lava or more floor tiles.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #230423

Is just digging rocks not enough for you people? Where does the content bloat stop, at the simple statement of miners being resource collectors without also being adventurers/monster hunters like a goddamn RPG where you level up to end level gear then destroy the station because your stuff is better than WHATEVER the station could get normally? (plus to say you blew the station's budget to get the tools under pretense of digging) Its so obtuse by this point and Kor's attempt to make tendrils blatent 'evil corruption' antagonists does not help.
  • A unnessecary and enviromentally destructive antagonist, symbolising the most combat driven suggestion i've ever heard where miners are going to be passing out from monsters hitting them left right and centre; because looking at swarmers who have the exact same suggested mechanics they are REALLY hard to fight with lasers - electrical shock melee's coming at you. It just becomes a running and collecting combat away mission where you're just there to collect cluttering loot.
D&B wrote: Monsters currently present make taking the normal tendrils a challenge already. Goliath tendrils are a battle of attrition, watchers are a danger when going to get the chest and closing in for the kill, and legions can quickly decimate someone if they don't keep the numbers in control.
  • Monsters would have to nerfed into THE GROUND/radically changed and their drops made completely worthless to justify making them killable by the swarming behaviour. Imagine how terrible it'd be to play this solo (on lowpop with no other choice but to get minerals) being chainstunned by goliaths and the shit smashed out of you to become another legion to heed the distress call?
  • How are we supposed to keep digging rocks and actually work with all this going on? Asteroid was pure, everyone started with pickaxes and the monsters were substantially hard but no more so than they needed to be in the dangerous atmosphere where if you went down into crit, you choked to death, with no way to take your suit off to save you at risk of dropping your air, armour & pressure protection. All the good stuff came from traitors/centcomm and R&D which got fed directly by mining, now miners can just go off and get their own better stuff, and use & abuse science before throwing them away when not needed.
We're using our mining z level for this remember (people have to play on it to get mineral stuff), its not some level where its of no consequence, if you really want to go for this, i suggest moving the corruption tendrils into a chasm underground area and separate z level plane accessible through lavaland

Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #230756

Lavaland is good and you talk too much for someone with so little cognition.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #230786

That would actually be great, lower z-level with more dangerous stuff, ruins and nasty mobs. Accessible only through chasms (but you get falling damage) and hellstairs (that maybe show on gps?), and chasms could be placed randomly in the upper z-level instead of being tendril-only to add another threat to careless miners
Alipheese

Post by Alipheese » #230788

Grazyn wrote:That would actually be great, lower z-level with more dangerous stuff, ruins and nasty mobs. Accessible only through chasms (but you get falling damage) and hellstairs (that maybe show on gps?), and chasms could be placed randomly in the upper z-level instead of being tendril-only to add another threat to careless miners
Had this idea for so long
Some item to prevent death from chasms and the underground portion of lavaland is where all megafauna live and the source of tendrils. The heart of lavaland.
Ie above ground is mining
Below is big shit.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #231288

Grazyn wrote:That would actually be great, lower z-level with more dangerous stuff, ruins and nasty mobs. Accessible only through chasms (but you get falling damage) and hellstairs (that maybe show on gps?), and chasms could be placed randomly in the upper z-level instead of being tendril-only to add another threat to careless miners
Two entire z levels for 3 people would be way too much.
Alipheese

Post by Alipheese » #231290

But Kor
Like 6 z levels of space.
THAT NO ONE USES.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #231294

Kor wrote: Two entire z levels for 3 people would be way too much.
Very often it's a lot more than just 3 people
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #231298

Kor wrote:Two entire z levels for 3 people would be way too much.
The lower level doesn't need be the full 255x255. Treat it like an away mission and drop them into a smaller sized zone where the robust go to die.
ImageImageImage
Alipheese

Post by Alipheese » #231304

MimicFaux wrote:
Kor wrote:Two entire z levels for 3 people would be way too much.
The lower level doesn't need be the full 255x255. Treat it like an away mission and drop them into a smaller sized zone where the robust go to die.
You fall into the inner core of lavaland. Where there's only 1 signal. The heart of lavaland. Large ass 3x3 tendril that spawns megafauna at random so any are possible (besides legion and hierophant) and that is the challenge. If the heart is destroyed. No tendrils next round. The loot? Only the gods know (headmins)

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
D&B

Post by D&B » #231313

That sounds too easily exploitable.

You could use a colossus as extra firepower.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #231319

a lower z-level would get really interesting in combination with a boxstation-scale lavaland station, where it's possible to go underground and then tunnel up through the floor or something.